Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hawaiian Shore's speed bumps
So will the Papio st. people pay to remove the bumps after its decided that they are not good for the HSCA?
Interesting thought afwjam...

Don't think the removal was even discussed/thought about at the time the decision was made. Who would decide the bumps are not good for HSCA? Surely not the membership, they are not allowed to make such decision or even voice their opinions before the deed is already done!

This board is starting to resemble other boards we have seen!
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - Albert Einstein
The whole mess is starting to smell bad. Why do people move into a neighborhood and then work to change it to their liking! Shouldn't they find a neighborhood they like and move into it?

Why would you buy/build on a thru roadway if you were going to be bothered by traffic?

Why would you install speed bumps on your road if you knew the traffic would be redirected to other streets where your neighbors live? This seems like a selfish, unneighborly move...

Correct me if I'm wrong...

I feel for you Likeable. Your property value probably went down while theirs is going up.
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - Albert Einstein
quote:
Originally posted by ishkabibble

It seems like Likeable (really?) is unhappy that a solution was found for some of our residents. But since he doesn't live on that street he could care less about anyone else. Has he really done a study of traffic down there to make his accusations?

[B)][Sad][V]Mr. Ish (keeper of the facks) Did the BOARD do a traffic study down there? If they had, they might have found out the traffic would adversely effect their neighbors! So much for "due diligence".
I am talking about BIG diesel trucks six times a day, 3 different bumps. SLAMMING on the brakes. LOUD Clattering. LOUD Acceleration to the next BUMP! All these new cars driving on neighborhood streets that we never saw before. It sounds like the people who either bought or built on the old highway diverted all there traffic to our quiet neighborhood streets. That is NOT very neighborly. They privately funded there construction, and the HSCA is paying for there upkeep. Who will pay to remove them? OH! Here comes a truck now.... I can hear it.... first bump coming UP! BANG!!! OH ****!
Sorry Whitey, I love the beach road too and live on it drive on and walk on it. The old hawaii feel has nothing to do with 6 inch deep potholes, collaped semi paved areas, illegal dumping and constant mud after a rain, cane grass obstructing views and blind hills. I do not particularily want it paved, just maintained as the county promised, but does not do. I get so tired of the why did you move there if you don't like it leave.
All of us have a right to a safe roadway, especially when it is Hyw 137 and county maintained.
[quote]Originally posted by Lokahi

@ Joe. Unabashed fairy tales. The disservice you accomplish upon the very place you chose to call home causes me and our neighbors irremediable pain and injury as you share on the world wide web the vitriol you have toward some individuals who also chose to call Hawaiian Shores Recreational Estates home.
You would have far greater successes channeling those energies in a positive, non-divisive, nurturing and community building endeavor.

I'm afraid what iskabibble says is true. what you have written on the world wide web is more vitriolic than the reply posted in response to your misstatements of the facts.
quote:
Originally posted by critterlover

Sure am glad I don't live on a street with speed bumps. Out of curiosity, I drove down to look at the bumps that brought a conversation to this area. Looks like a giant bird went 'kerplatt' on a couple of them. While I was there, saw a few turn on Puna Street and drive up to the next road to drive out to the blvd. Bet the people who live on those roads are loving life right now.

Kahakai Blvd with speed bumps. Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh the nightmares that would present. Fortunately, it is a county road and that would require a lot! Mostly about 7000 individual property owners to really be asleep at the wheel when it came time for public testimony.

So, the president put a 'BOD' on the payroll? The idea of a 'BOD', assuming that is someone's shorthand for Board of Directors, is being paid seems a bit far fetched, not to mention perhaps a little illegal. Dreamed up a law suit? That must have died in the Judges chambers or was he in the president's dreams too?

I think you are confusing your pronouns. 'Why did the former BOD do this?' 'So she'. Is there only one director? If so, it hardly makes a 'board'.

Just for grins I did a search to see if hawaiian shores has a facebook page. They don't. There are a couple of facebook pages created by people but not one for hawaiian shores.

There was no discussion of a water meter system ever with members? Ever? Really? Just willy nilly badda bang badda boom POOF: A bunch of meters just happen to appear.

The 'BOD' put in the speed bumps 'at their own cost'? Really?

@Orchidland guy; I agree, NIMBY is prevalent in all things in all areas. Everyone wants better cell service but no tower to provide it. The nice things about those bumps down there is it is forcing the drivers to slow down and take in the view. The hideous boulders are a nice touch!

Question Authority!

@critterlover. To help you out with the pronouns and to clarify -- 1. The former director of operations and management with Board of Director's approval hired a Director of the Board to work in the office. 2. The BOD approved that members could put in speed bumps at their (members) own expense. Hope this clears up any confusion.
Go Bill! Speed humps go a long way toward enforcing legal speed limits. We don't have enough traffic cops in Puna and how many deaths on Kahakai in recent years? MANY!

It is interesting how many of the people commenting don't have a clue about how the humps on Papio Street came to be.

HPP has a process for residents to identify roads that could benefit from speed humps. 75% of the residents on that particular street must agree that speed humps are needed. The road must be at least 750' long. Humps cannot be placed at an intersection, in front of a driveway etc. The traffic on the road has to average at least 200/day and at least 10% of the cars that drive on the road speed (speed limit in residential neighborhood is 25mph). PLUS, HPP requires that the residents pony up and pay in advance for the installation of speed humps by a licensed contractor that meet the design specifications as provided by the national traffic engineering council

In the case of Papio Street in Hawaiian Shores, the board moved that the residents who presented a petition from 75% of the residents along Papio Street could pay for and install the humps provided they met all federal, state, county and by-law requirements. The residents organized and did just that. The board is likely to adopt the same Speed Hump policy used by HPP as it is a workable model for residents to ensure that people observe the speed limit signs posted on the roads.

It amazes me how people spend time blogging and making mountains out of molehills. What a waste of time! Go out an dig a hole and plant a tree. Better yet, go to the new Ocean Park and dig a hole and plant a native plant. That way you might look around and realize that the grass "paspalum" is a Hawaiian native, the naupaka planted along the borders is native,and the hala, milo, and fan palms are all natives! Obviously someone doesn't know their native plants! The new park is a vast improvement over the non native highly combustable gunpowder trees and other weeds that inhabited the parcel previously as it had been allowed to grow up in an impenetrable jumble (not jungle!). Recovering the park is a work in progress. Meantime the park is being enjoyed by many people!