Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hawaiian Shore's speed bumps
One last post on speed bumps,
I was sitting in the new ocean park and enjoying the weather, I was watching the traffic go by. I notice that every car that approached the speed bump slow down. Some went over the speed bump and some went around the speed bump. MY POINT! It didn't matter if they went over or around the speed bump, THEY ALL SLOW DOWN. It look like the speed bumps are working and doing what they are meant for, slowing down the traffic. That's what speed bump are for. Not to detour traffic. Most people with common since know this. Except a few who have posted on this subject. Critterlover/Former BOD President, whitey, Likeable and some others. If you can not comprehend the simplicity of what speed bumps are for, then it doesn't give me much confident in your ability to be a BOD or a leader for your connunity. Yes, in time it might kill the grass. I would rather have dead grass than dead people. I want to thank you for helping make speed bump a hot topic. In doing so, you have shown the membership and all of Puna that their only concern was to bad mouth the new BOD and care nothing for public safety and provided no solution. Thank you for showing the membership and all of Puna your true colors and thank you for entertaining me while I was sick the last couple of day. I have more important things to do now than debate speed bumps that work with some members that don't know the purpose of speed bumps. LOL. I hope in the future you will be part of the solution and not part of the problem. Good luck in the up coming election. Aloha All.

Hey Likeable, Still waiting for the list of improvement the last BOD did to make HSCA a better community? I'll give you two. Two BOD resign.
@ GRAYCAT, GREAT POST.
quote:
Originally posted by Gray Cat

It is interesting how many of the people commenting don't have a clue about how the humps on Papio Street came to be.

Right! No one has a clue...No one was there...On Saturday 10/8/11... That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

quote:
HPP has a process for residents to identify roads that could benefit from speed humps. 75% of the residents on that particular street must agree that speed humps are needed. The road must be at least 750' long. Humps cannot be placed at an intersection, in front of a driveway etc. The traffic on the road has to average at least 200/day and at least 10% of the cars that drive on the road speed (speed limit in residential neighborhood is 25mph). PLUS, HPP requires that the residents pony up and pay in advance for the installation of speed humps by a licensed contractor that meet the design specifications as provided by the national traffic engineering council

PLEASE!!!!!!! I am really tired of hearing about HPP and how they do everything... Can't we have our own identity? Why must we do everything like HPP? WE AREN'T HPP!!!!! Not to beat a dead horse but, if you like HPP so much go live there!
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - Albert Einstein
Nothing wrong with HPP, I have many friends that live there. But Hawaiian Shores is very different from HPP and as such should develop its own rules and policies with its membership in mind. Not just follow what HPP has done, it may not work for HSCA.
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - Albert Einstein
quote:
Originally posted by afwjam

I am talking about BIG diesel trucks six times a day, 3 different bumps. SLAMMING on the brakes. LOUD Clattering. LOUD Acceleration to the next BUMP! All these new cars driving on neighborhood streets that we never saw before. It sounds like the people who either bought or built on the old highway diverted all there traffic to our quiet neighborhood streets. That is NOT very neighborly. They privately funded there construction, and the HSCA is paying for there upkeep. Who will pay to remove them? OH! Here comes a truck now.... I can hear it.... first bump coming UP! BANG!!! OH ****!

Yes, what the heck are those trucks doing?
You guys could start by sitting down in person and having a real conversation instead of sniping at each other through cyberspace. You do all live in the same relatively small neighborhood, right?

The internet is a great tool, but anonymity and facelessness tends to bring out the darker side in people, and they use loaded language that would never be said face to face. Civility goes a long way when it comes to resolving differences and clarifying what really happened when discussing past event.

Carol
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
quote:
Originally posted by Whitey
Yes, what the heck are those trucks doing?

I think they are driving down the highway. Diverting highway traffic into neighborhoods is not an effective strategy. It decreases safety on roads that were previously safe to walk on, increases the chance of animals and children getting hit. Increases the chance of crime now that we have new people driving around the neighborhood looking at peoples houses. Interestingly before, children and animals stayed off the highway and the cars stayed on it. I guess now its the other way around, safe to walk on the highway but not in the neighborhood. Sometimes its good to have less savory elements that are traveling through on a highway to do just that, travel through, not slow down to look at your yard, sealing wax palms, dogs, your hybrid etc....
quote:
Originally posted by csgray

You guys could start by sitting down in person and having a real conversation instead of sniping at each other through cyberspace. You do all live in the same relatively small neighborhood, right?

The internet is a great tool, but anonymity and facelessness tends to bring out the darker side in people, and they use loaded language that would never be said face to face. Civility goes a long way when it comes to resolving differences and clarifying what really happened when discussing past event.

Carol

I will do whatever I can, anyway I can to get the speed bumps removed and for me not to pay for this mistake. I have nothing against the current president, I don't mind the park, I do mind highway traffic being diverted into local neighborhood streets.
I agree with Likeable and the speed bumps being that of a way for the President to have her peace and quiet. These streets are made for anyone to drive on.

It is funny how the street that the President lives on all of sudden gets funded for speed bumps. What about other streets down here. People drive fast everywhere.

This just proves the point that the bumps were put in for the Presidents own personal peace and quiet. In my opinion she is not at all a nice or friendly person.

I do not understand how she even got voted in because I feel that there are much better suited people that could have did the job the right way. CORRECTLY!! It’s unfortunate that we have a selfish President that has her darn nose in the air.
Enjoy life, smile, show compassion and most importantly be grateful for the things you have!
www.aceyourcollegeclasses.com
If I had fast traffic diverted onto my street, I'd take the easy no-brainer fix and install a speed bump. I've never seen a car have a problem with them except when going to fast. Slow down, leave for work two minutes earlier.

A load of "cold pack" asphalt costs a couple hundred bucks and two people could construct a nice bump in an hour or so.

Remember that until you install sidewalks, the roads are for people too! A speed bump may be an inconvenience for an important person in a hurry, but a child hit by a speeding car is an unthinkable tragedy.
The speed control humps in Fern Acres are IMO a better choice to speed bumps. They help control speed without diverting traffic. The problem with most speed bumps is that you have to almost come to a stop for them.

Dan