Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cinder/Gravel Question
With all the recent rains, it is quite clear that I must gravel/cinder our driveway and walkways.

The previous owners of our lot were major horticulturalists. We have deep and rich earth throughout. However, with all the recent rain - we now also have bogs and mud pits. The only vehicle that gets to park close to the house is my 4x4. [Smile]

Other than walking on it, I know next to nothing about cinder. Ditto gravel.

I'm hoping some knowledgeable Punawebbers might share their experience and preferences. Is there any particular benefit of one cinder color/type over an other? Red versus black? Gravel a better alternative? Costs associated?

Last, and probably most important, could anyone recommend a reputable cinder/gravel dealer and hauler?

Any and all input would be appreciated. My family is going to revolt soon if I don't put something substantial over the ground.

Much thanks in advance....
I like the black colored cinder as the color blends with the rock walls and lava.

I have had Sanford deliver 2 loads three separate times. Sanford has Large trucks and smaller trucks.
The one we used holds approx. 26 yards. the smaller one holds approx. 20 yards.

Sanford will give you a quote on the phone and they take credit cards.
They can usually come out the same or next day.

They are reliable and the drivers will dump the gravel in many smaller piles so you don't have to spread it as far.
hawaiideborah
Cinder is the cheapest probably and the red is cheaper than the black usually. And it's light so flowing water on a slope will wash it downslope. It also crushes over time with traffic and more may need to be added. Basecourse, a mix of rock and clay, will stay where you put it usually but is more expensive. If you really have a lot of soil then either cinder or base will sink through it and the mud will come to the top eventually. Another thing about cinder is that it tracks everywhere. I take my shoes off but my dogs bring it in regularly. I have used both Sanford and Bryson in the Pahoa area and they are both fine but sometimes have different prices.

Jay
Jay
is there anyplace in Puna or nearby to go and haul your own cinder? Is there a "public pit" somewhere?

2lq
Jay and HD - thank you so much for your responses, your time and effort are appreciated.

I think we are leaning towards black cinder. In your experience, does that color track into the house as well? Someone did tell me that the red definitely does.

I'm not too worried about the cinder sinking down into the ground - or mud, in its current state - I'm going to lay down some of the thick weed block material and the cinder or gravel will go on top of that.

Thanks again for your input.

Stay away from the red cinder, when it crushes down and the wind blows it gets into everything.
We've had both red cinder & 3/4- gravel put down & we like the gravel much better. It packs down nice & firm for driveways & walkways, but the red cinder will not pack down like that. It stays loose & can cause unstable footing for us older folks. Our experience was also that it tracked into the house all the time. Gravel seems to be much cleaner for us. However, we don't have soil here in Hawaiian Shores....just lava...so I can't really tell you how good either choice would be over deeper soil.
We put down gravel over deep soil. The weed block doesn't make that much difference, as the weeds here grow just fine on top of it. Still have to spray it periodically.

I would not use cinder.
We used base course because eventually it might be paved, and it is easy to walk on, as opposed to larger pieces of gravel.

We used Bryson's. It was a few years ago, and I can't remember any special reason why we picked them over Sanford's, but imagine it was a combo of pricing, product offered, and delivery cost. We have used Bryson's before.

btw, it takes some labor to spread out a dump truck load of gravel. They dump it in a pile, then it has to be allocated. I would not want to spread red cinder. I don't like black cinder; like a'a lava, it has ragged edges and is painful to touch and step on. Gravel is smoother. You should go handle the cinder if you can before you decide to get it.

"And I'm sure it wouldn't interest anybody, outside of a small circle of friends ~ Phil Ochs
First define your path or drive by digging a 12" to 15" swath the length of the driveway. Use 2" minus(size of the gravel as a "base layer" , a 12" depth run for example ,this course can be 8" deep. Then add 1" minus, 3" inches deep, the final layer would be crushed rock 1" deep. You can define the edges of the driveway with flexible land scape borders spiked into place. You can always line the bare bottom with landscape fabric and spread cement dust over the top layer of the gravel for best results. Rent a backhoe and you can get this done in a full weekends work.
Sandford's bought Brysons, no more Brysons
Sanford can haul up to 32 CY of cinders in one load.
I you ask me I would pave it and be done with it for the next 50 years

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it cost when it’s free...now here come the taxes.....
If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it cost when it’s free...now here come the taxes.....