Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bicyclist hit by car in HPP
A bicyclist got hit by a car in HPP on Makuu between 3rd and 4th around 4:30pm today. Police on the scene when I went by but no ambulance yet and a female lying on the road not moving. Anyone have any additional info on that?
Oh no! This sounds terrible! There was a whole group of them flying down the road here in Hilo yesterday and they were not using the sidewalks that were available. They looked like professionals- like I'd seen in Austin (attracted to that area due to Lance Armstrong)

Pretty sure its illegal to ride a bike on sidewalk. you are supposed to be considered a car only allow on road I believe.. following all signs, stop lights etc.

Not a lot on sidewalks on big island anyways... Im not a bike rider really but I recall from my youth these laws on mainland. Bike lanes are a good thing imho

Hope the injured was ok in this incident..
This is one of the least friendliest areas for cyclists I've ever seen. I am surprised people even bother. Saw a bad one last summer by Nanawale - girl got clipped by a mirror...
@Macuu - any word on the bicyclist?
@unknownjulie - there are several groups of cyclists that ride around Hilo and lower Puna. (They may look professional to you because they are in cycling gear.) Although I see that group biking often in the early morning hours in Hilo, I have NEVER seen them riding in lower HPP.

I've said it before many times in this forum (and written letters to HPPOA) that it is just a matter of WHEN not IF people get killed on the 4 main connector roads in HPP.

There have been weeks when I have seen 1-2 near misses A DAY. Particularly upsetting because it is often kids I see riding bikes along the road. Once saw 2 teen skateboarders nearly get wiped out entirely.

I've been clipped by cars 2x walking in this neighborhood.

When HPP was repaving the 4 main roads they had ample opportunity to widen the roads, put in shoulders, or just give a little extra road width to accomodate bikers. But they did not. Still hid behind antiquated bylaws they are unwilling to change. (And for the record the community of Discovery Harbour in South Point has similar issues with their bylaws and were able to amend them over time, so I see no reason why HPPOA can not do the same or at the very least ask Discouery Harbour HOA for info.)

Very sad indeed.
Why do you think the board wants to give the roads over to the County. Remove them from liability.
Very unsafe for bicycling indeed. For that matter, this island isn't even safe for those that ride mopeds.

I had an interesting conversation with a bicyclist that has performed in 6 Iron Mans on this island, and 16 iron mans across the world. He went into some depth about this subject from the bicyclists point of view:

He says that this island is by far the worse he goes to each year to cycle. If it's not narrow shoulders they have to be cautious for, it's locals throwing beer bottles at them, or intentionally "buzzing" them by nearly hitting them with their vehicles.

My son was intentionally almost run down by a truck here in Hilo
Dedicated bicycle pathways would be an excellent solution, what with the public safety, alternative transportation, and "green" flavor marketing.

Instead, we can all drive to the lovely new $20M park in Pahoa (assuming it's actually built).

Tax dollars (formerly "yours") at work...
"I had a very interesting conversation with a bicyclist."
What was his name? Where did you see him? Why didn't he call the police when someone threw a beer bottle at him?
Again you are talking stink about "locals" with stories that you say happened and you only heard second hand. So how did this bicyclist know it was "locals?"