Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sandhills
I have a question, and thought that someone here must know. Why is the entrance to the sandhills area barricaded? The area I'm asking about is on Old Government Road, about 1/2 mile past Honolulu Landing. Is it private property, or owned by the county?

Thank You,
Charlie
People used to ride their dirt bikes and ATVs all over the sand hills. That's why they had to close it. There's a sign saying it's government property. You are still allowed to go in there and walk around, just not in or on a motorized vehicle.
Actually, the north side is private property and the south side is State. At one time both sides were a dumping ground for abandoned vehicles and trash. A concerted effort by Puna Outdoor Circle, Puna Malama Pono and Puna Friends of the Parks, over a one-year period (Earthday to Earthday) removed over 400 vehicles and 20 TONS of rubbish. Some of the vehicles had been pushed off the cliffs and were leaching petroleum residues etc. into the ocean. TreeWorks donated their crane to bring those up and put them on Jon Olson's flatbed, which then took them to the Hilo scrap metal yard. The area was barricade to prevent renewed dumping. Since there was also a problem with both private and commercial trucks driving in and filling up with sand (which qualifies as 'mining' and requires a DLNR permit), the barricade addressed that problem as well.

The public can park outside and stroll or picnic in the area, which is very pleasant - if you go, please take your trash out with you. Enjoy.
Dear Renee, your humbleness and care for Puna is most appreciated. I live a mile from the sand hills, and if it was not for your perseverance and leadership, we might have well over a thousand junked cars, tons of trash, and ATV's destroying the sand hills.
Many mahalos for your efforts!! [Smile]

punalvr
punalvr