Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"long-term rent" recommendations
Aloha Kathy, David is a dual citizen (US and Canada) and has lived in Canada for over 40 years, and I am a recent "permanent resident" but also US citizen (and I will keep both when I become a Canadian citizen in another year). I already file taxes in the US because my retirement income is from the US. Anyway, we're pretty well aware of all the hoops both govts. make us jump through, but thanks for posting that info - maybe it will help someone who doesn't know all the hassles involved!! I am curious tho about something you said - that summers are slow for folks coming to Hawaii? I know about Arizona - we're on our way there to visit my mom - and I've been in 117 degree heat there in the summer; it's not on my bucket list to visit AZ in the summer if I don't have to! But Hawaii doesn't have that problem, so I'm wondering why it wouldn't be a year-round destination for folks? I know I certainly used to visit during the summers when my kids were younger, but that's because I love Hawaii, and would ride a donkey to get there any time I found one that could swim! [Big Grin] Does the tourist population really rise more in the winters? Just curious.....

Also, David, thanks for that information about long term renters... it helps to know that folks will discount for longer stays. What credentials do you look for?

Katie

Wherever you go, there you are.
It is slower in the summer but that's not Hawaii's fault - it's even better here in the summer than it is in the winter.
The difference lies in what the visitors are escaping, namely the ice and snow.

When do you plan to start renting?
I think it is the "shoulder" periods that are a little weaker in terms of travelers, although the shoulder periods are a wonderful time to be almost anywhere (October and April are wonderful). In my experience, Canadians love January through March or April. Americans dig on June when the kids get out of school. The shoulder periods are April through June or September through November.

Of course, April is Merrie Monarch which has always been popular in Hilo for reasons that escape me -- concrete benches and 8 hours of hula? I love hula, but seriously?
quote:
Originally posted by David Shaw

Not for you, Rumi, as you have already eliminated our home from consideration; but for others who are reading this thread with long-term in mind-- our home (flipkey.com/323222) has been rented several times for as long as 9 mos at a stretch, and we have coming up a 3-month renter and a two-month renter that fills us up through the late June of 2012. We heavily discount for long-term renters with trustworthy 'credentials' and would be glad to talk with anyone searching for a beautiful home in Kapoho.

-dwajs

Your place is so cute!
The busiest time in Hilo Market for vendors is mid November through mid Feb. The absolute slowest month is September.
In the summer the tourists visiting the market are way down compared to the winter months. The tourists from Australia and New Zealand come in the summer.

A year ago we rented for 5 months Mark Cox and Ron Wood at Hawaiian Paradise Vacation Rentals before buying. They have a "name your price" on their web site. We had a wonderful renting experience from them.
http://www.hawaiiparadisevacationrentals.com/

Agree with KathyH that you need to find a rental that is not in the most desirable area (oceanfront).

My suggestion would be to email Ron and Mark and ask which houses are usually available for the 5 month rent and how good a price can you get? The other great thing about going with them is they rent over 30 vacation rentals and you could move around instead of always being at just one. Check out their "make an offer".

Someone said something about not renting a vacation house that is for sale because the realtors may show it. All you need to do is just specify on the rental contract that you want to rent a house that is NOT for sale. There are lots of vacation rentals that are not on the sales block.

These guys will really work with you and have real bargains on prices for nice clean homes for longer term rentals.Hope this helps.

edited to add website info
hawaiideborah
Check here on Punaweb! http://punaweb.org/Forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13647 I've been in this house and it is a real nice place! Not mine but I know the lady that does own it. Nice quite neighbor hood to.

Royall

Hale O Na Mea Pa`ani

Thank you, one and all, for the pointers and suggestions! Several folks have contacted me off-line as well, and I appreciate everyone taking the time to respond! We are going to stay with a friend in Mountain View this year for a month, but hopefully we'll be able to get around to see some of the places that have been suggested on Punaweb. We're really looking at NEXT winter, trying to get a feel for what kinds of situations would be possible, what prices would be, etc. And obviously, I'll be asking for information on possible rentals before we come out NEXT year!! Cuz, hey, things change, right?

I am really really grateful to the Punaweb community once again for this kind of aloha.... it makes all the difference when someone is needing information to be able to go to this kind of source. So again, mahalo nui loa to you all, and I hope to see many of you when I get to the island..... Scuba Sunday, or whatevah! [Smile]

Katie

We purchased a vacation rental in February that we intend to spend 6 months in every year, from mid November to April/May. The other half in Oregon as we love it in summer. We would be very interested in finding someone to be there in the other 6 months. I assume by your posts that you are looking to stay in the winter also but someone else might be interested or stop in and see us when you are in Mountain View. In any case, here is the link to our home. Check it out and pass on if anyone you may find is interested. Good luck in your search.

Mahalo
http://book.bigislandvacationrentals.com...ails/31994

quote:
Originally posted by Rumi in Hawaii

Thank you, one and all, for the pointers and suggestions! Several folks have contacted me off-line as well, and I appreciate everyone taking the time to respond! We are going to stay with a friend in Mountain View this year for a month, but hopefully we'll be able to get around to see some of the places that have been suggested on Punaweb. We're really looking at NEXT winter, trying to get a feel for what kinds of situations would be possible, what prices would be, etc. And obviously, I'll be asking for information on possible rentals before we come out NEXT year!! Cuz, hey, things change, right?

I am really really grateful to the Punaweb community once again for this kind of aloha.... it makes all the difference when someone is needing information to be able to go to this kind of source. So again, mahalo nui loa to you all, and I hope to see many of you when I get to the island..... Scuba Sunday, or whatevah! [Smile]

Katie