Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bill takes aim at medical pot
Did you folks see todays headlines in our local newspaper. We now have the police jumping in on trying to present a bill to take away severe pain from the medical cannabis laws locally.

If you hold a medical cannabis card please contact your local politican and complain about this new form of harrasment! What the hell is the chief of Police doing submitting bills to deal with medical cannabis.

I think local law enforcement is pissed off that their profits have dwindled since medical cannabis became law locally. WE should be arguing about why we don't have cannabis dispensaries, instead of the police chief trying to take away what little rights us local medical patients have. Hell, if we had dispensaries, I argue that there wouldn't be much of a need for all these backyard cultivators, don't you agree?

I just don't understand the mind set of local law enforcement!?

-----------

Support the 'Jack Herer Initiative'NOW!!
-----------

quote:
I just don't understand the mind set of local law enforcement!?

Control.

Same as all law enforcement mindset

http://www.wedekingphotography.com
yeah, but you'd think these mental midgets could do simple math. Our county is hurting like the rest of the state, and I argue we are probably feeling more than any other county. If local law enforcement could see the bigger picture, then perhaps we could all move forward.

With our county feeling the economical pinch, you'd think the chief of Police could grasp the bigger picture? But I'm sure down the road law enforcement will have to lay off a few cops because of our failure to address the down turn. Plus, I'm willing to bet Kubojiri is just trying to keep cops on the job. We(Hawaii County), need to eradicate medical cannabis like we need a hole in our head?

This entire proccess is happening on mainland too. But think about the language in Kubojiri's bill. Does it not sound familiar? He's taken what Sen/Doc Josh Green said last year at the end of legislator season. WE need to stand up against these "douche bags", who are hell bent on destroying our medical cannabis program.

-----------

-----------

Beach boy, how long have you lived in Hawaii? There is more money being made illegally with marijuana in this state than you could ever imagine. We live on a island. This is a huge cash crop for people here. The police here have family or close friends that make a living growing, I can almost guarantee it. This is an argument that has gone on since I was little and the 1 stand out point that is made over and over is the amount of money that would be taken away from people who grow. Take in to consideration the lack of jobs, the high price of everything, ect. If it was made legal, there would be alot of angry, hungry people.

Do I agree with people not working and taking the easy way out, no. But I have lived on this island for 25+ years. This is the reality and will be for more than awhile. The negative impact of making it 100% legal with dispenseries is far greater than the positive. That is taking into consideration dispenseries would provide a few with jobs and employ a few growers. Because of the climate, you can grow year round here without pause. This is what draws numerous people here to grow and make a good living at it. Some make it better than others.

Go to Pahoa and walk around. Try going to First Hawaiian Bank and see how many people sell right out in front all afternoon long. Kehena's, downtown Hilo, broad daylight all week. It disgusts me so much about what goes on in front of my bank FH in pahoa that I no longer go there cause they do nothing about it. Same people that have been doing it for years, still. If this was taken away, what would all these guys move into for making money? Theft? Harder drugs? These are the real questions being pondered when legalization is brought up. It is all about positives and negatives and which out weighs which. A legal place to buy would also charge much more than someone on the street would because of overhead alone. How many people would be willing to pay more for something that is available everywhere for cheaper? Gotta look at the whole picture and history of this island.
First off let me set the record straight. I have lived in Hawaii almost my entire life,and have been growing cannabis behind closed doors for well over 44 yrs! So I think I know a little bit more about the subject than you? Especially if you think time lived here means anything. I've been around when prices peeked in Hawaii,and today's prices are far from what they use to be! So please don't try to sell me on that prices today are high cause they are not. Not if you consider $200. 00 an ounce expensive?
In these hard times, the medical cannabis industry is about only industry that is making money anywhere! Please don't equate the entire cannabis industry to a few people selling "weed" outside of your bank. I'm sure if medical cannabis took the proper next step here,and had controlled dispensaries,...those same guys would still be selling their homegrown there too! But the industry would flourish, and in doing so it would put a lot of local residents to work. In doing so it would eveen lower the prices, and eventually it would force the guys you fear outside your bank away. It's prohibition that keeps these guys around. Why is that so hard for some of you to grasp? Here, in Hawaii it keeps the cops in spare cash.

Let me ask you this question Why do you think all retired cops support the legalization of cannabis. But active cops oppose it?.

-----------

-----------

Even after turning in my medical marijuana card, 'cause they told me at the Hilo PD that being a current user of medical marijuana is against federal law:

"Based on these provisions of federal law and current FBI policy, possession of a medical marijuana card within the past year gives reasonable cause to believe that you are a current unlawful user of a controlled substance..."

The letter is signed Harry S. Kubojiri, Police Chief.

FYI
Beach Boy, where did I try to sell the idea that prices are high today? Nowhere. I said a dispencary would charge more than the guy on the street would. So where did your paragraph about prices come from? You state a few things and I would love to see you back them up.

First, the statement All retired cops support the legalization? All? Second, where have you come up with the information that the medical cannabis industry is about the only industry making money anywhere?

I also in no way tried to equate the entire industry with a few guys in Pahoa. What are you reading? Where did I say I feared anyone? Disgust and fear are completely different emotions. You seem to misconstrue just about everything I posted and very clearly so. I think you may be misinformed about some community issues involved with the complete legalization of marijuana on this island.

You make it sound like this would be the answer to several problems with our county and I could not disagree more. As rbrgs mentioned, Fed are still in control. How much help would the county really get with the Feds standing over them? In these hard times, I can hardly believe this industry would flourish when food on the table and gas in the car is more important than a 20 sack. Do you think residents here in these hard times are going to go to a store that is taxed and buy something they can more than likely get from a neighbor for cheaper or grow their own? Im sure residents here would love being video taped on entry and purchases tracked at counter on what they use and how much.

C'mon man, prices peaked a few years back because they were flying every weekend. Just about everyone knows that. Now that things have settled back, well prices dropped to where they were and have been and will be for years. This all the same bull different day stuff. There is a far bigger picture than the one you are painting. If you have lived here for as long as you have and done what you say you have done, it's hard for me to understand why you do not understand the current situation the island is in. We need funding and attention going into our hospitals and schools umongst several other things, not jumping through hoops in hopes that a dispencary would last more than 6 months here.

Oh, but wait. You might come back with the arguement that the dispencary will create ample STABLE jobs that pay decent wages and have benefits. Money will go back into our schools and medical centers with all the money our rich residents will be spending on dope at the store in these tough times. Our roads will get fixed also? I will believe it when it works somewhere else first!
Obviously this is a subject loaded with emotion... I don't want to take sides either way. But the States that have been the most progressive about the use of Medical Marijuana have been targeted in the past few yrs by Eric Holder and his Boss.. His Boss in the past has said he would not harass or challenge state laws regarding Medical uses.. That has simply turned out to be a Lie.. I find this very strange.. My first thought if it was the Bush era would be pressure from the confused hard left religious block.. But with our current administration I just don't know...

Corporate interests perhaps..Monsanto and the likes wants to own and patent everything grown on Earth..I just hate to see 60yrs of insane laws start to soften towards reality...turn around and start reversing. The economics will always be an argument.. But with the cost of incarceration it just doesn't pass the day of light test.. Most of the population.( over 60% ) have been in favor of legalization for over the past ten yrs.. So I don't think its a big Political issue, more of whose making the big money by keeping it illegal???? Just sayin..
“It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.” " Krishnamurti "
quote:
Originally posted by islandlvng

Beach Boy, where did I try to sell the idea that prices are high today? Nowhere. I said a dispencary would charge more than the guy on the street would. So where did your paragraph about prices come from? You state a few things and I would love to see you back them up.

come with it. All I see and read are words from a bitter negative person!

quote:
First, the statement All retired cops support the legalization? All? Second, where have you come up with the information that the medical cannabis industry is about the only industry making money anywhere?

for the most part that true. I'm talking about the "average Joe",on the streets. What Wall St., and the Food industry, are making money.. But states like Colarado , Cali, Mi, Oregon ,and all the states pretty much that have become a medical cannabis state have all gained more money thru cannabis taxation thru sales. Are you aware how much money these despensaries are paying in sale taxes & state taxes? Harborside Dispensary in Oakland owes the state 2 million in back taxes for last year alone! Then think about all the dispensaries up and down the coast, and how much revenue they generate. That's alot of money Cali can sure use.

quote:
I also in no way tried to equate the entire industry with a few guys in Pahoa. What are you reading? Where did I say I feared anyone? Disgust and fear are completely different emotions. You seem to misconstrue just about everything I posted and very clearly so. I think you may be misinformed about some community issues involved with the complete legalization of marijuana on this island.

I'm glad you cleared the air on that! How stupid of me to think it was fear!? Is that one of your mainland qualities you still wear proudly on your chest after 25 yrs here? How can you be disgusted with people you know nothing about? Maybe ,just maybe, the people outside your old bank felt they had no other option then to try and sell there homegrown to pay their rent, bills, feed their kids etc.etc..

I do know a thing or two, and yes our county would flourish if medical cannabis didn't have jerks like Kubojiri in the way. Who I might mention works for the state, and not the feds!!!! Which in this state medical cannabis is legal!

quote:
You make it sound like this would be the answer to several problems with our county and I could not disagree more. As rbrgs mentioned, Fed are still in control. How much help would the county really get with the Feds standing over them? In these hard times, I can hardly believe this industry would flourish when food on the table and gas in the car is more important than a 20 sack. Do you think residents here in these hard times are going to go to a store that is taxed and buy something they can more than likely get from a neighbor for cheaper or grow their own? Im sure residents here would love being video taped on entry and purchases tracked at counter on what they use and how much.

legitimate medical patients could care less if the video is rolling. Listen, the bills and their wording aren't, excuse me weren't perfect. A lot of concessions were made just so the bills would be heard in the house. Concessions a lot of us bitch & moaned about. A good example was the 5 yr pilot program for dispensaries on Maui. They, the Senate democrats* Will Espero & Kalani English, to name a few did this just so the house would approve. Things wouls change down the road.

When is the last time you were in California, or Colorado? No one in their right mind would go to so called "drug dealer". Not when there are dispensaries in every phone book locally. I mean medical grade cannabis is so much better than regular homegrown from the neighbor down the street.

te]Originally posted by islandlvng
C'mon man, prices peaked a few years back because they were flying every weekend. Just about everyone knows that. Now that things have settled back, well prices dropped to where they were and have been and will be for years. This all the same bull different day stuff. There is a far bigger picture than the one you are painting. If you have lived here for as long as you have and done what you say you have done, it's hard for me to understand why you do not understand the current situation the island is in. We need funding and attention going into our hospitals and schools umongst several other things, not jumping through hoops in hopes that a dispencary would last more than 6 months here.

prices peaked a few years back not because they were flying so much. It's called economics 101 "supply & demand". It had nothing to do with "ghetto birds" flying! Currently the prices are at all time lows locally, and the prices are all economically driven too. Nobody has money for good cannabis. Plus, everybody and their cousin is growing nowdays...but with not much success.
I also believe a lot of the local growers are suffering because of bad genetics too. Why is the Big Island growers stuck on the White Widow strain and the Blueberry strain?

quote:
Oh, but wait. You might come back with the arguement that the dispencary will create ample STABLE jobs that pay decent wages and have benefits. Money will go back into our schools and medical centers with all the money our rich residents will be spending on dope at the store in these tough times. Our roads will get fixed also? I will believe it when it works somewhere else first!
[/quote]

look what the cannabis industry has done for Colorado. WE, Hawaii should model our cannabis industry after Colorado's. You act as if only growers and people who work at dispensaries benefit from medical cannabis industry?

-----------

-----------

quote:
Originally posted by grumpyscosmos... Most of the population.( over 60% ) have been in favor of legalization for over the past ten yrs.. So I don't think its a big Political issue, more of whose making the big money by keeping it illegal???? Just sayin..

And there's the real answer. Who serves to gain financially if medical marijuana is curtailed? Who loses if it became totally legal?

Follow the money.

The police, for all their "good" intentions are just pawns in this money game.