Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jet over HPP
Same thing again today, LOUD jets overhead at 10:05 a.m. Since they went over again ten minutes later last time, I went outside and waited - nothing. Did hear a couple of distant muffled booms that sent the dogs into thunder mode, but that's all. Curiouser and curiouser.

quote:
Originally posted by Lin W

10:05 a.m. had a jet go over us here in upper HPP, very LOUD. Couldn't get outside in time to see what it was. Seemed to be going from NE to SW. Got back inside and ten minutes later it went over again (in the opposite direction). Again, couldn't get outside fast enough. Most unusual to have a jet over us here, and a bit unnerving. Anybody know what it was? Hopefully it was a one-time thing, the helicopters are enough. Aloha!

You can tell yourself anything is too difficult, or you can just do it. And you do not need to reconstruct your worldview or take issue with others. ~ SUSAN GREGORY THOMAS

I don't know how I got over the hill without getting to the top.
Heard it in Volcano. The sound seemed to linger a while and for a moment I thought it was some weird volcano activity and then realized it must be a military jet. Probably seeding clouds. We don't get enough rain up here Smile
They just flew by again, there was a notice about military convoys on Saddle yesterday & tomorrow...perhaps there is a connection?
quote:
Originally posted by Kelena

I am one of the rare people, I guess, who like watching airplanes and helicopters. It doesn't bother me when helicopters fly over my house, or on the rare occasions when I see an airplane.
When it's rare and during the day, like this, I don't mind. When they're having big transports and/or fighters idling loudly at Hilo airport for an hour and then doing screaming takeoffs between 2 and 5 AM every day, I do.
"Screaming takeoffs "

Is there any other kind ?

aloha,
pog
Those "Screaming takeoffs " are a result of living on an island and expecting mainland efficiency.
Do you want your car fixed tomorrow or next week ? Want your mail in a few days or weeks ?
Most of those flights are airfreight flights !!
quote:
Originally posted by pog

"Screaming takeoffs "

Is there any other kind ?
When I lived down in Hilo, from my house you couldn't hear the regular interisland flights at all, but these would rattle my house, so yeah I'd say there is. Maybe they are air cargo like Obie said, but it was as loud as the C-17s they do landing practice with over town.
Zackley Obie ...

FED EX leaves late or early depending on ones sleep schedule.

Its not like an airport just rolled out a runway and started out of the blue. ... Never understood the mentality of moving next an airport or under flight path then complaining about it.... NOT saying folks here doing that but it is what it is.

aloha,
pog

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eP0iSJQLfJ4