Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
House hunters shot at in HA
Having closely following HPP crime statistics for three years, I can tell you that HPP now has less crime per capita than the Puna average. Our Community Policing Officer has confirmed this through internal police reckoning as well. Like Carol points out, HPP is the most heavily populated place in Puna, and would therefore appear in the crime news more often than anywhere else.
update from the trib - seems the shooter is from Hilo

Puna patrol officers responded at 1:34 p.m. to the Hawaiian Acres subdivision after receiving a report that a 47-year-old Volcano man and his family were driving on Road 10 when he heard what sounded like a gunshot and something struck his vehicle. He discovered that a window on his van was shattered, and he immediately drove away and called police.

Patrol officers contacted the driver and discovered that there were five additional occupants in the van but none of them suffered any injuries. Officers canvassed the area and located and arrested a 68-year-old Hilo man and a 47-year-old Kurtistown man near the scene.

Detectives have recovered the van as part of the investigation.

Upon conferral with prosecutors, detectives released the 47-year-old Kurtistown man Tuesday night pending investigation. The 68-year-old Hilo man remains in police custody while detectives continue the investigation, which is classified as first degree reckless endangering.

quote:
Originally posted by rawvegan

needless to say i did buy a lot.
thanks for the story, wondering if you meant to say you did not buy one?

To Vancouver Islander, I am not really a stats person. I think a lot of story is lost when it is put into pure numbers.

I also think that a fair number of crimes here don't go into the stats pool, because they are classified as missing persons. Someone kills someone else over drugs, or some other crime, and they throw the body down a lava tube or off a cliff into the ocean, or into a shallow grave, and some are not found. The number of people who go missing here and are not found seems quite high to me.

During the boom there was a whole lot of theft, and while there is still theft, it seems to me there are more home invasions now. Before it was mostly stories of materials going away that weren't being watched over.

I'm not in some state of high alarm, but I do think the recession/depression has increased the desperation factor and has pushed more people off balance. I'm sure that is happening in other places and is not unique to Puna. Plus there is the ice factor. Hawai'i was the worst state in the nation for years, and is now 49th, last I read.
Police update: mystery solved, I guess.

quote:
Media Release (update)

Detectives from the Area I Criminal Investigation Section have charged a 68-year-old Hilo man in connection with a gunshot that shattered the window of a passing van Tuesday (March 13, 2012) in the Hawaiian Acres subdivision.

At 9:40 p.m. Wednesday, Victor Kwock Chung Chun was charged with first-degree reckless endangering, permit to acquire firearms, second-degree commercial promotion of marijuana, second-degree promotion of a detrimental drug, two counts of first-degree promotion of a detrimental drug and three counts of possessing drug paraphernalia.

Police determined that Chun had been shooting at a dog he suspected of killing chickens at a house on Road 10 when a van with six occupants passed into the line of fire. No one was injured in the shooting.

Police recovered a firearm while executing a search warrant at the house.
Another man, 47-year-old Ivan Okada of Kurtistown, was also arrested but released later Tuesday night pending further investigation.

I know I probably shouldn't post since I've moved away, but I have to ask, why in the hell do you put up with this in your lives when the alternative is so heavenly?
It's actually quite heavenly at my house today. Birds are singing away, it's balmy, everything is green and flowery, skies are blue (or were), all the doors and windows open, and no one is shooting at anyone. [Smile]
Ah, and there's a warmth that comes through from your posts Kathy.

The Western Meadowlarks here are beginning to go to song, things are greening up, and we have a mated pair of Northern Harriers that hunt our meadows. The rabbits and quail have come up from the bottoms and there's a Golden Eagle that sits on our shop roof most days and freaks the starlings away. Gonna' put a couple of feeder calves on the spring grass down below this year.

Four river trips on the calendar for this summer so far - I'll glass the bottom of the new driftboat next week.

It doesn't rain every day so I actually can get out on the Harley to run arrands without getting soaked.

The whole thing just makes me smile.

And no-one is shooting at anyone.
Ah, our resident troll shows up to remind us again of how much better life is away from Hawaii.

Back on topic, I had been wondering if they might not have been intentionally shooting at the car, especially since the first charge was only for reckless endangerment. People shoot off guns all the time here and I doubt they pay much attention to where the bullets go, even if they're not high.
Like just now, two five shots fired on Road 8.
That would be "non"-resident troll.