Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Earthquake...
One sharp jolt felt at Kapoho tidepools with minimal shaking after. 4.4 centered Honomu, north of Hilo. Good one.
Nearly 45 minutes later I get this warning from Civil Defense

Message: A 4.4 earthquake occured near Pepeekeo on Sat. at 10:47 am. NO TSUNAMI IS EXPECTED. This is your Hawaii County Civil Defense.

I guess because it's the weekend we get a delayed warning !!

Strong and scary here near the epicenter. Had me in the doorframe. [:0]
I see it's been revised to a 4.9.

The good part was very short duration (here, at any rate). Only about 5 seconds was strong shake. It was the kind that leads with strong jolt and a shake and then fades fast.
http://www.ready.gov/earthquakes
"Do not use a doorway except if you know it is a strongly supported, load-bearing doorway and it is close to you. Many inside doorways are lightly constructed and do not offer protection.."

Drop and Cover is the mantra now. Get under a table or behind a sofa.
quote:
Originally posted by PaulW

http://www.ready.gov/earthquakes
"Do not use a doorway except if you know it is a strongly supported, load-bearing doorway and it is close to you. Many inside doorways are lightly constructed and do not offer protection.."

Drop and Cover is the mantra now. Get under a table or behind a sofa.

It was strong, close, and an exit door ...
The closest table was down the hall and across the house. [:0]
but good point about interior door frames.

I remember being in the very long and strong Loma Prieta quake in '89,
http://pubs.usgs.gov/dds/dds-29/
in the supermarket, and watching all the bottles of wine shoot off the shelves and crash .. nowhere to hide and all instincts said go outside.

So got out on the sidewalk and I was next to a big plate glass window that could shatter and looked up and there were power lines over me, and said, Now What? There didn't seem to be a good choice. Luckily, it stopped right about then!
They say being under something doesn't do much good since most times the whole thing gets flattened with you under it. Next to something hard to squish flat is what they now say. So the bulk of what you are next to holds up everything falling on your head.

"I like yard sales," he said. "All true survivalists like yard sales."
Kurt Wilson

"I like yard sales," he said. "All true survivalists like yard sales." 
Kurt Wilson
Kathy: Yes, we are still in the same house in Carmel, CA as we were in the 89 earthquake. We watched our carmel stone walkway pop up like popcorn! Our house was built on granite and had no where to go but up and then down. Part of the house moved downhill by a couple of inches and caused us mucho dollars in repairs. Of course our earth quake insurance would not pay for most of it. It seems insurance companies always have a clause that makes them not liable no matter what you pay in premiums. Since then, we have not paid for earthquake insurance. We learned our lesson with that earthquake. Save the dollars for repairs instead of insurance.
oh my, carmel, I can't imagine what you went through. What an awful disaster for you! (yes, no one killed or hurt, but just terrible). I've never had quake insurance; now I don't feel like I should if it doesn't pay its claims.

Hotzcatz, yep, I was thinking when Paul said to get under something, that it would be hard to make myself get under anything because everything is telling you instinctually NOT to bury yourself.

I suppose we should have designated earthquake shelter zones in our homes. I know I'm in no condition to decide what is taller and load-bearing when a quake starts in all of a sudden. Of course you can't know you'll be able to get to the designated spot either.

Well, that was a good shake today; I hope the island got some good settling done.
In the Northridge quake in '94 I instinctively grabbed my old boy dog Travers and hit the bedroom doorway. We hung on and rode it out. I feel for you Carmel...I felt THAT '89 quake all the way down in Los Angeles. No one believed me when I said, "There was just an earthquake. I don't know where it was, but it was BIG." Then just 10 minutes later we were getting radio reports of the damage.

I moved to Arizona two months after the Northridge quake. That was enough for me. I still feel it pretty good whenever there's a slight tremble or even a large truck going by in the distance! LOL!!!!!

[Big Grin]

Carrie

http://www.sapphiresoap.etsy.com

"Even the smallest person can change the course of the future..." Galadriel LOTR
Carrie Rojo

"Even the smallest person can change the course of the future..." Galadriel LOTR
It was centered about a mile from my mom's. They definitely felt it!!!

She told me her house had been "popping" for about a day so she "knew" an earthquake was coming. Maybe she hears the tin heat and cool so it pops as it expands and contracts?

As for the safety zone during an earthquake, although the ARC and USGS have tried to say Doug Copp's theories are incorrect, there is some real merit to them. The "Triangle of Life" just makes real sense. Doors (and window) headers are usually the minimum size required and installed with gun nails not 16's nailed in one by one. (note: Is this one reason that old plantation houses survive - hand nailed, with stronger lumber?)

Is it easier, if earthquake is at night, to roll out of bed into the triangle, than get up, and run across possible broken glass to get to a doorway, or outside?