Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If you have a dog
http://www.akc.org/events/search/index_results.cfm?action=plan&event_number=2012091405&cde_comp_group=OBED&new_end_da

Hilo Obedience Training Club
Event No: 2012091405
Edith Kanakaole Stadium
(Formerly Hoolulu Tennis Stadium)
Kalanikoa St
Hilo, HI
Approved
All AKC-Recognized Breeds
All American Dogs / Mixed Breeds
Closing Date: Wednesday - May 23, 2012
Closing Time: 06:00:00 PM
Time Zone: PACIFIC
Add event to your calendar.

For additional information contact:
Mary Clarose, Event Secretary
HC 1 BOX 5223
KEAAU, HI 96749-9513
(808) 987-5923
kupaterriers@msn.com

All american dogs / mixed breeds
buzz has some more obedience classes forming soon - keep an eye out

- who ya gonna call - bark busters! - grin

good info on classic conditioning ie training:

- http://dogscience.org/workshop/haptrhead.shtml

Gotta put in my "2-bits" worth. Wait and see what happens when the turkeys fully invade our residential areas. What do you call them? Turd-fowl? I had friends from the mainland come to visit and they told me they saw them on the west side of the island. At least we had natural predators to keep the kazillions of wild turkey at bay on the mainland where I lived but what is going to work here?
I love dogs but will not get one because as a responsible dog owner, there is a significant expense to keep them safe, happy and healthy. And trips to the mainland are difficult with critters around to care for.
I do have two cats I moved here from the mainland and one sleeps in the house 90% of her life while the other hunts Coquis, lizards, and rats. Both are shut in late evening.
So far, I have very responsible neighbors with dogs that bark only when stimulated. Mostly, none bark incessantly, thank goodness!
He who hoots with owls at night cannot soar with the eagles in the morning.
TomK, I checked out your blog link: beautiful pictures!
He who hoots with owls at night cannot soar with the eagles in the morning.
Human hunters keep the turkey population in check here. I have had many students who keep their family's freezers stocked with turkey meat. During the droughts they are frequently seen closer to the roads on the Kona side, especially in the Waimea area. The large expanses of lave fields may also slow their spread.

Edited to correct spelling error
Carol
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
The wild turkeys are no big deal.
I lived in Waikoloa Village a decade ago, and they were there. I still visit there. The turkey population hasn't exploded and they don't really cause problems.

I have a feeling they prefer the more arid areas, as they've had plenty of time to spread to the rain forest but haven't done so.

As far as going back to all native species goes, I don't believe that genie can be put back in the bottle. What we have is what lives here. We should be careful about new introductions, very careful.

Someone said I'm in denial about what my cats kill. No, I'm not, because I see what they kill. Only one of them, the old cat can't catch anything any more. The hunter cat has a compulsion to bring every catch into our house. Every rat, mouse, chameleon, and every so often a mynah bird.

I can't seem to break her of this disgusting habit, so, unfortunately, I am not able to be in denial about what she kills, as I am the clean up person. [Sad] The bell on the collar really makes a difference with the birds, and I recommend it. The birds spook and fly when they hear the bell and all the cat gets is exercise. For some reason, the rodent stats aren't affected by the bell.

Tom, I am very sorry to hear about this aggressive new dog near you. Good for you guys in helping out. Hope the owners deal with it! Please do not be reluctant to call police when an aggressive dog confronts walkers. This is not something where a second chance is desirable, IMHO.
turkeys would be in the freezer? can't eat a cat, don't want to eat a dog. but let a pig or turkey or other wild game come around....
islandgirl
and a good dog to go fetch 'em - grin
Carol,
quote:
Tom, where is the new attack dog located? We walk our dogs on leash all over lower HPP and would like to avoid that particular area, they really don't like dealing with aggressive free roaming dogs while they are on leash. My father, who is a daily walker, is coming to visit and we just picked up a golf club at the Sally shop in Hilo for him to carry for protection.
I've sent you an email - let me know if you get it. In any case it's on A Road in HPP.

Kathy - I'll certainly be taking this up with the police shortly if the situation doesn't improve. This morning the dog was in my yard and it's a ridiculous situation, I don't even feel safe to be out in my own yard. Later, the owners drove away and the dog was let loose again with no one to control it. Still, even if they are at the house it's hardly under control...

nana valley - thank you! I haven't been very active on my blog recently but glad you liked the pictures!

Tom
http://apacificview.blogspot.com/
quote:
Originally posted by csgray

Those AKC classes are just for "AKC recognized breeds" which rules out 90% of the dogs in Hawaii, mine included. There are actually very few obedience classes available to people who live in the Puna area unfortunately.

Carol

NOT TRUE.
At the Humane Society in Kea'au there are AKC classes offered for ALL dogs inc. mixed breeds. They offer the classes in 6 week sessions. They offer 3 classes. Star Puppy, Obedience and Canine Good Citizen. You can take the classes with the dog you get at the humane society. I took all 3 of my pooches through the classes. All my dogs are pound pups and mixed breeds.
The instructors are certified to teach the AKC classes. AKC will send you a certificate at the completion of your class regardless of the dog's heritage.
You get handouts and homework and very structured classes with help from the instructors.
You can get info from Humane society. The instructors work at Sheer Magic pet grooming. You can also call Sheer Magic and sign up for the classes.
In Puna. All dogs welcome.