Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If you have a dog
Update - just got back home and the neighbor's dog launched an attack on me while I was getting from my car to my front door - all on my own property. I got inside before it got close but it was in my yard again which it now seems to consider its territory. Am going to the police and Humane Society tomorrow morning. This is just way out of line but am concerned nothing will be done until I actually get bitten and with the size of this dog I don't think it'll be a small nip. Will let everyone know what happens.

Tom
http://apacificview.blogspot.com/
Good for you Tom.
Try to get the next incident on video, if your phone has that capability. I'd personally be considering the depths of the various pukas on my property. If the property is a rental you might also consider a note (certified letter) to the property's owner, putting them on notice of their exposure in the situation.

Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
on your property, shoot the damn thing

http://www.icompositions.com/artists/jlgerk
We have used a spray product called HALT on the mainland while bicycle riding. Works great but I don't know if it can be found or shipped to the island.
http://compare.ebay.com/like/380430601305?var=lv<yp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar
I followed the link that was posted and right there on the front page it listed multiple obedience classes and all of them stated AKC recognized breeds as a criteria for the classes. I did not say anything about the Kea'au AKC, or any other AKC, just the classes listed on the website Bullwinkle linked to.

If other groups are offering classes for mixed breed dogs that is great, but the link that was given led to classes that were for "AKC recognized breeds" if there were other classes open to mixed breeds listed elsewhere on that AKC website, that is the link that should have been given. I was going by the information given by the Hilo AKC right on the first page of their website, which specified "AKC recognized breeds". I had no intention of misleading people, I was just pointing out what that website stated about their classes.

Carol
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
from the link - future events tab:

Hilo Obedience Training Club
Event No: 2012091405
Edith Kanakaole Stadium
(Formerly Hoolulu Tennis Stadium)
Kalanikoa St
Hilo, HI
Approved
All AKC-Recognized Breeds
All American Dogs / Mixed Breeds
Closing Date: Wednesday - May 23, 2012
Closing Time: 06:00:00 PM
Time Zone: PACIFIC
Add event to your calendar.

For additional information contact:
Mary Clarose, Event Secretary
HC 1 BOX 5223
KEAAU, HI 96749-9513
(808) 987-5923
kupaterriers@msn.com

note the "all american dogs / mixed breeds"

akc offers a really good program, hope this helps - good for dogs and people - try it you will have a blast

schedule of events link:

http://www.akc.org/club_search/index_master.cfm?action=refresh_index&active_tab_row_A=1&active_tab_col_A=2&Fixed_ID=2
whoa, Tom, that is bad! I wish you luck with getting this under control.
Definitely one of my fears to be chased by a dog. I had one chase me into my car about a year ago, and I do know the feeling.

I occasionally see dogs running right through my property of good size and I don't like it, but so far so good, none of them aggressive like the one you're dealing with. If that happened to me, I would for sure be all over it.

At least you know where the dog lives. (I have no clue where the dogs I see belong.)
That's a start.
Definitely get some video documentation of the dog on your property. If you see it, try going outside with the video on and documenting that the dog starts harassing you while you are on your property.

Phones with video capability are a wonderful thing. I hope you have one, or some equipment that will record this. If not, a still shot is something.

Let us know, OK?
After reading about the big dogs running through other people's property, chasing neighbors into their cars or into their own homes...geez, where is the respect for human life and safety here on this island?? I guess i will fork out more money to put up a fence around my place to protect my cats Sad
He who hoots with owls at night cannot soar with the eagles in the morning.
Well, in the case where I was chased into my car, the owner came out and said not to worry, the dog was just being protective of its territory (invisible property line), but it wouldn't really bite.

When a known attack breed charges me at full speed barking furiously, I don't care to stand my ground and see if it's going to stop short of biting me.

In sum, owners expect you to know as much about their dog as they do and not mind if it's roaming. In their eyes, the dog is cool until proven otherwise, and maybe not then -- they'll still say it was provoked or something, or isn't really that way.

A drawback of having a big piece of property is it costs a lot to fence it.

Personally I enjoy the fact that the island isn't all carved into fenced parcels. That would be ugly. There are challenges though.

My cats have learned the spots where a dog can't get them. For one, under the house, because it's post and pier, and a big dog can't get through it. Also trees, jumping up to the roof of the car. Also they have their cat door. But yeah, I don't like having strange dogs roaming around, and I don't want to have to walk with a golf club or a bat in hand.