Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Safety Check Scam?
I happened to be with someone pursuing a safety check in Hilo yesterday, so some updates.

The 76 by the KTA/Pizza Hut got in trouble for (for being too lax). Now they have to drive your car, so it's not going to be as fast, and they may actually flag something.

Stopped by the service station on Wiwoole near the Honda Dealer, and they were four days out with appointments. They said the state now limits them to 15 per day, limits all stations to that.

Asked them about Nick's on Maka'ala (they were trying to give us some alternatives), and they said they're not doing safety checks any more, but we didn't confirm that, so just saying to check before you go there. In fact, it seems that one needs an appointment anywhere.

Went by two places where their checker was on Oahu and not in that day.
Ended up not getting it done.

My own car I get done at Honda, but then I have a Honda. Due to the law limiting charges, it costs the same to have it done at a place with a deluxe A/C customer lounge, TV, internet, free coffee/tea and a newspaper as it does to hang out in the heat at a gas station. Something to consider if there's a dealership with a service dept. for your make of car. [Smile]
quote:
Originally posted by KathyH

I happened to be with someone pursuing a safety check in Hilo yesterday, so some updates.

The 76 by the KTA/Pizza Hut got in trouble for (for being too lax). Now they have to drive your car, so it's not going to be as fast, and they may actually flag something....

If you know, when did this happen? My mom got her safety there on the last day of April and it was in and out in just a few minutes.
quote:
Originally posted by Kapohocat

quote:
Originally posted by KathyH

The station by the KTA/Pizza Hut got in trouble for (for being too lax). Now they have to drive your car, so it's not going to be as fast, and they may actually flag something....

If you know, when did this happen? My mom got her safety there on the last day of April and it was in and out in just a few minutes.

lol, so much for that update. I asked, and that was the last check or maybe the one before. So it sounds like their extra compliance slipped after a while.

Question for you: does your mom drive a newer car that looks like it wouldn't need much checking, or is it older? Because I am talking about an older vehicle.

I thank you for mentioning this Kat. I'll pass it on. We avoided that station yesterday for that reason, but maybe want to go back there based on what you posted.
I can see where having garages doing inspections can possibly create a conflict of interests. When Florida had auto inspections, it was done by state-run inspection stations. But that would cost a lot of taxpayer money to set that up.

Perhaps garages shouldn't be allowed to fix violations they find, the owner would have to take their car elsewhere?
quote:
Originally posted by KathyH...
Question for you: does your mom drive a newer car that looks like it wouldn't need much checking, or is it older? Because I am talking about an older vehicle.

I thank you for mentioning this Kat. I'll pass it on. We avoided that station yesterday for that reason, but maybe want to go back there based on what you posted.

Well it is both new and old. It is a 97 Toyota Camry in pristine condition with only 80K miles on it, doesnt look like old except for the bumper that faded. Maybe that is why. The guys did tell her she would soon need a new tire but passed her and she got all new ones 3 days later.
I am curious why there are those in the Puna area that go all the way to hilo for safety checks. I use Paul's repair in Pahoa. The only problem I had was the kid didn't have any stickers when he checked my car and I forgot to pick one up before the 30 day deadline. That won't happen again!!
He who hoots with owls at night cannot soar with the eagles in the morning.
Thanks Cat. Your mom's car is nicer and a decade newer. ;-)
nana,
I go to Hilo because I live in Hilo district, can't say as to others.
Ugh on 76 ... I was relying on their 'quick service' for my ' just one more year ' safe check.

Nana Valley ... By your post, I bet you just generated a ton of business for Paul's ... I think I will go there early even.

aloha,
pog
It sounds like 76 might have toughened up and then loosened up again with time, from what Kat says.

If we use it (in the next week), I will post how it goes.
quote:
Originally posted by nana valley

I am curious why there are those in the Puna area that go all the way to hilo for safety checks. I use Paul's repair in Pahoa. The only problem I had was the kid didn't have any stickers when he checked my car and I forgot to pick one up before the 30 day deadline. That won't happen again!!

My mom's does hers in Hilo because she is bi-coastal (Hamakua coast and Puna Coast) and Hilo is in-between.

We do all ours at Paul's or Lex Brodies.