Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Crew Needed for Documentation of Wrecked WII Plane
Crew Needed for Documentation of Wrecked WII Bomber.
The bird, recently named "The Swamp Ghost" took of from Hickam Field Tuesday Febuery 25 1941, and crashed later that night along the north western Summet of Waimanu Valley. The plane (and crew) landed intact, and two days later were rescued via the Kohala ditch trail. The plane however has remained. To date it is one of the two best preserved and least accessed WII wrecks in the world. It is my intention to hike to the bomber from Waimanu Valley and document it's current condition. I have the exact GPS coordinates of the bird. The trail has recently been cleared 70% percent of the way. Anyone who can spare a few weeks out of your schedule in mid-late June who is interested should contact me at their soonest convenience. Mahalo.

"It's not about the destination, it's about the journey."

I believe you are talking about this plane:

http://www.pacificwrecks.com/aircraft/b-18/36-446.html

You can find many pictures of it online as some of the helicopter tour companies fly over it on occassion. As I understand it, it has been pilfered from over the years. It is also on private property, hopefully unlike the trespassers that came before you, you get permission for your mission.
Yes, a friend of mine who is acquainted with one of the owners of the "Nui" obtained the permission for us. And yes, I am aware that there have been recent drops by chopper. I believe the most recent was 2008. Nonetheless documentation of the planes current condition is scarce. Whilst there are aerial photos of the plane from 2008, there appears to be no photos of the inside. Further more, I'm not just doing this for the pictures, rather the adventure. The path I have chosen is one that ancient Hawaiians (and more recently old Traders with donkeys.) once used. And thank you for the link. -however I have seen this page, not sure those photos do it justice.-. I imagine seeing the real thing up close will be incredible.

I might be interested in such an adventure, but unlike Lance Armstrong I have limits to my endurance and both my testes. Do you have any estimate on how far the trek would be, or how long it might take (I mean, from the time one gets out of a vehicle)? I'm not sure what you mean about sparing a few weeks out of a schedule, it wouldn't take that long to get there and back. The more details, the better.
I estimate the trip to take at least ten to fourteen days. The terra is rough to say the least. The trail up the side of Waipio is two miles long, but is set at a near 45degrees. This alone takes a couple hours at best. Next there is the trip to Waimanu. Another five miles in and out of smaller valleys. A trek that takes approximately 3-4 hours before descending into Waimanu on a path similar to the Z trail up Waipio. Depending on how we feel i reckon we'll make it three quarters of the way into the valley on the first day, and finally into it on the following day. This is seven miles and one or two days. Next, -If we don't take a day to recover.- we'll walk It to the back of the valley. This is another 3-4 miles, and approximately 2-3hours of hiking. Although the terrain is relatively flat, the jungle is thick and hard on the ankles. -at this point no trail cutting should be necessary.- we'll reach the back of the valley and make camp for the next two days. The morning after we get to the base we'll travel up the trail my previous partner and cleared and spend the day doing some maintenance. The following day -if we don't take a break for a day.- we'll hike up the ridge. Whilst the ridge is only 3.5k feet high, and 6.5k long, it is also at 45 degrees, and the trail is roughly cut at best, so travel will be slow at best. I expect it to take us the majority of a day to reach the top and brake camp. So far we've covered 12-13 miles. The next morning we'll head for the top of the stream it crashed into along the old usgs trails. This is another 2-3 miles and 3-4 hours through dense forest. From here well travel down the appropriate stream until we hit our bird. -another 1-2 miles and 2-3 hours.) I have the exact GPS coordinates, as well as a Pn-60 GPS and emergency communicator. -we won't get lost.- once we hit the bomber we'll set camp for the night and leave the geo cash. The next day we'll take some pics, write down some notes, etc. (and possibly take a day off to recover.) than the trip back begins. So that's possibly six or seven days just getting there. Whilst I only think it should actually take us 4-5 days to do the trip in reverse -It now being down hill back into the valley.- I think we should be prepared for it to take as long to get back. So ten days to two weeks, and approximately 18-20 miles. The Kohala ditch trail had a series of land slides along it during the last big earth quake. So that's out the question. We could come down from waimea, but the path would be uncharted and I wouldn't know who to ask permission in waimea. As it stands we have permission to go to the bomber, -but not lapahoehoe Nui.- anyone really interested should email me at Birchrus01@yahoo.com or check me out at Facebook.com/Birchrus01.

I commend you on your ambitious project!
Can't you take a boat to the beach and just start up the valley?
Sure, if I had a zodiac. -and I I didn't mind the possibility of it being stolen, as anything left on the beach for more than a few days is typically yanked up by the beach goers or the DLNR. If anyone had access to a boat (and a friend who could come back with it when instructed.) that would shave a few days of the trip.

I think those that are ?? the time frame know that it is not uncommon to hike from Waipio overlook, over to the back falls in Waimanu, and return to the overlook in a weekend. Our last roommate took his late 50's dad & brother there last month.

But how long it takes any hiking party also depends on the amount of gear that is being hiked in, the overall shape of each of the hikers, the amount of adventure included in the hike (things like photo tours ALWAYS take longer than many other hikers & ultimate hiker tours are usually very quick in & out...the goals are different)

Enjoy your adventure... I love going to the upper areas of the Kohalas, esp the upper gulch areas. There is magic in the mists up there!
Birchrus I would love to go on this adventure but wont be in Puna until july 8 if you get delayed count me in.If not good luck to you and your party.I expect you will post updates here.