Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
State warns HPP for dust violation
Boy, that would be a rub. A HPP resident files a dust complaint with the state and gets to potentially watch the HOA go bankrupt and property values go into decline.

"Be careful what you wish for?"
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
quote:
Originally posted by Rob Tucker

property values go into decline.

Aren't they doing that now?
Puna: Our roosters crow first
Where do I complain about the salt air ?
[Wink]

http://www.icompositions.com/artists/jlgerk
quote:
Originally posted by EightFingers

quote:

property values go into decline.

Aren't they doing that now?

Might be. Depends on your property and when you bought it. A bankrupt HOA won't help. If the HOA dissolves does the $12,000,000 bond descend on or become a lien on the 8,800 property owners? State fines of $25,000 a day can add up fast.

Maybe the cheapest thing to do is bow to extortion and pave the road of of he complainants. Which would likely lead to another complaint from another road.

The foundation of the whole pyramid of problems is the county's failure to enforce the law in 1959.

Punaweb moderator
I think the way the bond deal happened ( like a board member basicaly resigning mid meeting to then be the broker ) should be looked into.I don't know if the FBI would take it up or if there is any state agency with forensic accountants. but it was fishy from the get go.
The biggest problem I saw with the bond was it took too long. When the bond was in development paving was running about $80k per mile. Enough to pave HPP bow to stern. Right after About the time the bond was in place oil prices jumped substantially and paving tripled to about $240k per mile. If HPP spend less time arguing about it the whole subdivision would likely have been done under budget.

If paving costs had dropped below $80k the HPP BoD would have been called brilliant. That didn't happen.

Punaweb moderator
quote:

Right after the bond was in place oil prices jumped substantially and paving tripled to about $240k per mile. If HPP spend less time arguing about it the whole subdivision would likely have been done under budget.

Actually, by the time the votes on the bond were counted and the money was in place and available, the paving price had already gone up. Even if the BOD had acted instantly (which they didn't,) there wouldn't have been enough money to do more than half the roads. I seriously suggested that they call the whole thing off since the bond proposal strongly suggested (but did not absolutely promise) that all the roads would be paved. My point was that the intent of the proposal was no longer valid and that property owners would not be receiving equal value for what they paid. BTW, I got it in writing from the guy who wrote the bond proposal that he implied all would be paved.

Shortly after the bond was issued, a gentleman from the lender came to a General meeting and emphatically told us that the only way we could pave part of the roads and have anything approaching equity of treatment for members on unpaved roads was to only pave roads with the highest maintenance cost. That way there would be money left to maintain the rest. So what the the BOD do? The embarked on a haphazard, shifting plan that involved a grid pattern that would guarantee that everyone would be no more than three or four blocks from a paved road. Of course, some of the grid pattern paving ignored the maintenance cost. Later, to their credit, they reverted to highest traffic and maintenance cost, but they had already blown a lot of money and made very few people happy.

And they are still not done. It just goes on and on.
Not likely to get done unfortunately. Thanks Jerry, you were closer to the goings on. I was watching at a respectable distance.

It was the $80k formula that got things rolling.

I wonder what pavement miles will cost in 10 years?

Punaweb moderator
Gee Jerry, all I can say that some HPP residents are very self centered.
HPP is a big subdivision, both geographically and demographically, nothing can get done overnight.
I have to agree with Rob and others- we are prisoners of the shortsighted actions of those in the past-
all over Puna.
And we still have modern day shortsighted people even in HPP.
Punaticbychoice, some people in HPP are indeed self centered, some are shortsighted, and some are both. I find it impossible to sympathize with people who have basically used an extortionistic strategy to get what they want by filing against their own community. On the other hand, it's very hard to sympathize with a board which bought into a cost formula based on a low point in oil prices. Paving costs are more influenced by oil prices than anything else, and it didn't require a crystal ball to see oil prices going up. Add to that some serious lapses in transparency and violations of the by-laws, and you have a board that made more than just the dust complainers angry.

I don't know which trite little cliche' is more appropriate: "We have met the enemy and he is us," or "We're all Bozos on this bus." Take your pick.