Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
State warns HPP for dust violation
if the Hui paves that chunk of road it's going to tell everyone on dirt that you have to file one of these complants to ever get your road paved.it will get ugly
This is off topic but,
I do not think anything will improve in HPP until it has democratically elected government
( whatever you want to call it )
Jerry perhaps you could pass this along to them. There are alternate material that they could use to finish our roads if they would just take the time to do their homework. This method is a way for us as well, to recycle our plastic here in Hawaii and have green roads. Check it out. [8D]

The Idiots' Guide to Highways Maintenance
http://www.highwaysmaintenance.com/polybitxt.htm
Here are some more links that may help them solve the problem of road material cost, since they own the machine, they should figure out how to USE IT.
http://www.highwaysmaintenance.com/polybitxt.htm#USEFUL WEBSITES

quote:
Originally posted by JerryCarr

quote:
Originally posted by Rob Tucker

Right after the bond was in place oil prices jumped substantially and paving tripled to about $240k per mile. If HPP spend less time arguing about it the whole subdivision would likely have been done under budget.

Actually, by the time the votes on the bond were counted and the money was in place and available, the paving price had already gone up. Even if the BOD had acted instantly (which they didn't,) there wouldn't have been enough money to do more than half the roads. I seriously suggested that they call the whole thing off since the bond proposal strongly suggested (but did not absolutely promise) that all the roads would be paved. My point was that the intent of the proposal was no longer valid and that property owners would not be receiving equal value for what they paid. BTW, I got it in writing from the guy who wrote the bond proposal that he implied all would be paved.

Shortly after the bond was issued, a gentleman from the lender came to a General meeting and emphatically told us that the only way we could pave part of the roads and have anything approaching equity of treatment for members on unpaved roads was to only pave roads with the highest maintenance cost. That way there would be money left to maintain the rest. So what the the BOD do? The embarked on a haphazard, shifting plan that involved a grid pattern that would guarantee that everyone would be no more than three or four blocks from a paved road. Of course, some of the grid pattern paving ignored the maintenance cost. Later, to their credit, they reverted to highest traffic and maintenance cost, but they had already blown a lot of money and made very few people happy.

And they are still not done. It just goes on and on.

I like my little dirt road and dead-end location in HPP. It's quiet (apart from the coquis) and people have to drive slowly. Not all of them do on the way in but usually do on the way out and rarely repeat their mistake. Yes, it gets a little dusty when it's dry but I knew that when I moved here - in fact it was much worse back then because so fewer roads were paved.

I can't tell you how disappointed I am that a few whingers want to screw it up for everyone else. Just curious, but were these people, perhaps, told by their real estate agent that the roads would be paved soon after they bought their places?

Tom
http://apacificview.blogspot.com/
Whalesong, what are you talking about? What does your link have to do with "alternative materials" or "recycling our plastic?"
My street, 24th is being paved today.
I did not comlpain about dust.

http://www.icompositions.com/artists/jlgerk
I am just wondering; if the State fines the association and conficates the assets (the roads) to pay the fine, does the State then fine itself if it does not pave the roads?
For 750 miles of road at $240K a mile that equals $180 milion. I wouldn't want to be the beaurcrat that opened that pandora's box. Perhaps a new interpretation of the rules will be forthcoming.
We stayed in HPP off of Makuu on a gravel cross road. The property had good perimeter barrier landscaping, we never noted any dust issues. We loved HPP area, the main streets being paved with the side streets gravel seemed like an economical solution to a large scale semi-rural area. We thought this would be a good area for property purchase due to central location to amenities and recreation.
Now reading about this makes me concerned about a good share of properties for sale in several subdivisions with association dues. Someone even mentioned Ocean View with all of its gravel roads as possibly having future road dust issues. this really is narrowing the field of property searches!

Ugg - boards! Bureaucracy...
islandgirl
If you remove all of the cinder and other fill down to bare bumpy rock you won't have dust issues. People would probably go slower too.

Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
quote:
Originally posted by whalesong

Jerry perhaps you could pass this along to them. There are alternate material that they could use to finish our roads if they would just take the time to do their homework. This method is a way for us as well, to recycle our plastic here in Hawaii and have green roads. Check it out. [8D]

The Idiots' Guide to Highways Maintenance
http://www.highwaysmaintenance.com/polybitxt.htm
Here are some more links that may help them solve the problem of road material cost, since they own the machine, they should figure out how to USE IT.
http://www.highwaysmaintenance.com/polybitxt.htm#USEFUL WEBSITES

quote:
Originally posted by JerryCarr

quote:
Originally posted by Rob Tucker

Right after the bond was in place oil prices jumped substantially and paving tripled to about $240k per mile. If HPP spend less time arguing about it the whole subdivision would likely have been done under budget.

Actually, by the time the votes on the bond were counted and the money was in place and available, the paving price had already gone up. Even if the BOD had acted instantly (which they didn't,) there wouldn't have been enough money to do more than half the roads. I seriously suggested that they call the whole thing off since the bond proposal strongly suggested (but did not absolutely promise) that all the roads would be paved. My point was that the intent of the proposal was no longer valid and that property owners would not be receiving equal value for what they paid. BTW, I got it in writing from the guy who wrote the bond proposal that he implied all would be paved.

Shortly after the bond was issued, a gentleman from the lender came to a General meeting and emphatically told us that the only way we could pave part of the roads and have anything approaching equity of treatment for members on unpaved roads was to only pave roads with the highest maintenance cost. That way there would be money left to maintain the rest. So what the the BOD do? The embarked on a haphazard, shifting plan that involved a grid pattern that would guarantee that everyone would be no more than three or four blocks from a paved road. Of course, some of the grid pattern paving ignored the maintenance cost. Later, to their credit, they reverted to highest traffic and maintenance cost, but they had already blown a lot of money and made very few people happy.

And they are still not done. It just goes on and on.

Explain to this idiot what your post has to do with or roads so I can do my homework.
What machine?
Polymers cost $30K a mile times 90 miles of dirt roads equals $2.7 million and will only last 6 months and then it has to be reapplied.
How's that for homework.
Millings and rubber from tires are not in any quantity to make a differnce, homework.
We live on an island and there aren't many materials to chose from and the ones from the mainland are very expensive, homework.

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it cost when it’s free...now here come the taxes.....
If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it cost when it’s free...now here come the taxes.....