Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Solar Lease
I am looking for input from anyone that has a solar lease from Sunrun or another company. Last discussion was in 2012 so I am looking for an update. Mainly, are you happy with your system and company. Thinking about the 20 year lease since it seems to actually be more cost effective than an outright purchase as insurance and maintenance are included. I am also thinking that after 20 years, the system may be obsolete anyway.
My position still has not changed, I've seen people install a small Enphase grid tie system for around 12 thousand. When I say small I'm talking about 9-12 panels. That's usually what's needed for 2-3 energy conscious people. Hard to beat when you consider what your going to pay over a 20 year lease.
Big Island,
Is that with propane or electric frig and stove? I am assuming with solar HW.

Carol
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
Yes electric fridge, propane stove and a solar water heater. You could also use propane for water heating, plenty options out there.
I've always done photovoltaic solar off grid and cash, so not familiar with lease. Are you able to get the rebates without owning the equipment in a lease arrangement? Also, can anyone clear up a rumor that in a lease,they "get" the surplus credits, and then "credit" you with your energy bill coming from them? Mahalo for these answers as well.

Community begins with Aloha
The estimate is 5900 for a 20 year lease, 9 panel system. Just pay the 21.00 minimum to HELCO monthly. We average 100/month as we are not here all the time. If we bought the system, it would cost more and we would have to pay any maintenance/repair costs since we own it. I think the system will be ready for replacement anyway in 20 years. The solar company takes the rebates, but the price is discounted to account for them.
quote:
Originally posted by okedokey

The estimate is 5900 for a 20 year lease, 9 panel system. Just pay the 21.00 minimum to HELCO monthly. We average 100/month as we are not here all the time. If we bought the system, it would cost more and we would have to pay any maintenance/repair costs since we own it. I think the system will be ready for replacement anyway in 20 years. The solar company takes the rebates, but the price is discounted to account for them.

My fear is that Helco will raise the $21 fee to $31, then $41, and eventually to whatever it takes that people switch to battery systems.
I have talked to several of these companies and I can't ever seem to get a straight answer on most of my questions. That is worrisome to me. My biggest fear would be if I ever wanted to sell my home the buyers would have to taker over the lease and if they didn't want to, I would have to pay it out at that point. Seems more reasonable to me to just save up and buy the panels myself.

I am curious though, does anyone know if I could buy a couple of panels and then just keep adding to it as I got the money? Or is there a minimum number of panels you need for the system to work?
You'd think with all the grid tie systems out there that Helco prices would go down being that the grid tie systems feed into the grid.