Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another HPP rip off
I recommend a Caucasian Ovcharka. In mother Russia, dog rips you off.

http://files.homepagemodules.de/b117037/...210n10.jpg

“Setting a good example is a far better way to spread ideals than through force of arms.”
-Ron Paul
quote:
Originally posted by Sue Nomie

HTS sold their system and they pay for monitoring. So it isn't the system calling them, it is HTS. If they don't respond to phone calls, the police are dispatched.
They own the system outright, so they'll into if they can self monitor the system after they move full time.

What does HTS stand for?
quote:
Originally posted by EightFingers

"...
If you do use ADT or some other alarm company, don't "advertise" it with one of their little signs. ..."

Wouldn't they go to another house that didn't have a sign? Seems like they'd want the easiest target.

My point was that some of these guys actually know how a particular alarm system works and if they see your home has that system, your home might be an easier target than another home.
-Veritas odium parit”(Terence 195–159 BC))-"Truth begets hatred".
My day job was an electronics tech @ the University of Iowa, security systems are so inexpensive (video surveliance) I think everybody should have one. I will tell you there are ways to install systems correctly, and not.

If you would like some advice I can give it freely. This advise is probably not the things to say in an open forum, but you could e-mail me.

I am retired now, and do not need to make a living anymore, but I do like money, not so much the money itself, but the food and entertainment it can buy, so keep that in mind when you invite me for BBQ....

Rick
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.
Mahalo
Rick
if you live in HPP I see only two viable options...if your serious about your home.

I think it's awesome that HPP has a neighborhood watch. But how useful are they? They are good in the sense that they are very visible around the neighborhood . But what is the average age of HPP's neighborhood watch? I'm willing to bet most are of a retirement age, and the "thieves" know it too! Do you really want your elderly neighbors getting hurt trying to stop an attempted break-in?

These home security companies are not an option for lower HPP either. If you live off of Beach Rd. it's roughly 3 miles from Hwy.130 to there. Takes a long time for the Keaau or Pahoa Police to respond to lower HPP and the crooks know too!

I truly believe "man's Best Friend" ,is your best option. Cagary offered up a breed I think is more in line with herding , not guarding! I highly suggest a Pit Bull or two. Nobody, and I mean nobody wants to see if your Pit Bull is up to a challenge. Nobody wants to risk getting a 1000 pd. pressure bite to their "junk", over stolen property. Now if you have a hard time getting close to a "Pit Bull", perhaps I may suggest a second option... A "Rhodesian Ridgeback". There is a breeder on Molokai that has a great line of Ridgebacks there.

I never had one break-in at HPP,and I tribute that to having Pit Bulls.

-----------

Support the 'Jack Herer Initiative'NOW!!
-----------

Support the 'Jack Herer Initiative'NOW!!
quote:
Originally posted by Beachboy

if you live in HPP I see only two viable options...if your serious about your home.

I think it's awesome that HPP has a neighborhood watch. But how useful are they? They are good in the sense that they are very visible around the neighborhood . But what is the average age of HPP's neighborhood watch? I'm willing to bet most are of a retirement age, and the "thieves" know it too! Do you really want your elderly neighbors getting hurt trying to stop an attempted break-in?

The first thing we teach new Neighborhood Watch members in HPP is not to confront criminals, but to quickly report crime and create a general environment which is less attractive to criminals. Since Beachboy (and lots of others) are noticing a presence, that part of the job is getting done.

NW does have a lot of retirees among its most active members, and the fact that retirees have the most time to devote to NW is the reason. You see lots of them because they are able to do the job. FWIW, the average age has been trending lower in the past few years, partly due to broader interest and partly due to younger retirees moving into the area.
hey beach boy..excellent point I would also throw in my 2 cents for German Shepherds, it's in their DNA to protect and defend, and will..
As far as a specific breed of guard dog is concerned, often the bark (any bark) is more important than the bite. I have an 8 pound dog, and a 10 pound dog, and several times I've seen cars pull into my driveway, only to jam it in reverse as soon as the barking started. If the thieves do make it all the way up to your door you could also post a sign "Little dog bark, big dog bite." I've been in HPP 12 years and haven't had a break-in during that time, and hopefully won't.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
Anyone at any age can call the police or be a witness. You don't have to confront a thug, just having several neighbors/witness visible is generally enough to DETER potential crime. That is the purpose of Neighborhood Watch. Thieves don't like witnesses.
Yes, if you have it in your heart to rescue a dog, Keaau Humane Society has plenty. If you care for them
any size dog will alert you as needed.

I don't think it's in dispute that NW serves a purpose. Obviously any increase of presence will deter borderline criminals. Physical force (a dog that can stop an intruder is one example) will help with those that are not borderline. The simple fact is that in a rural location police will just be there in time to file a report of what they took. It's a persons own responsibility to protect their property.

"Government is good at one thing: it knows how to break your legs, hand you a crutch, and say, 'See, if it weren’t for the government, you wouldn’t be able to walk." - Harry Browne