Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fight for Non-GMO Foods and Proper GMO Labeling
Foods labeled BGH Free are sold everywhere, including places like Safeway. So are foods labeled organic, HFCS free, salt free, low sodium, artificial color free, and even laundry detergents labeled perfume free. Foods labeled GMO Free would be right there at every mainstream grocery right alongside GMO foods, because there would be a market for it.

It might be easy to fantasize that all the anti GMO crowd is just a bunch of fringe nuts, but from the articles I've seen in new sources from all over the United States, plus the overseas English language press, concern about GMOs in food cuts a pretty wide path across gender, race, education levels, class, and income levels. Even my hard core Republican brother who lives in South Florida is raging against GMOs in emails he sends me, he is a big proponent of labeling so people have what he refers to as "The fundamental American freedom of choice."

Carol
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
csgray - *applauding*

Obie - You would all still be 'free' to buy what you want. And you'd know it was GMO. I see no precedence that would indicate a cost spike on GMO labeling. Do you? Where?

Melissa Fletcher
"Make yurts, not war" Bill Coperthwaite, 1973
I understand the logic of assuming it's GMO unless otherwise stated, but I don't buy the argument that putting "non-GMO" on a label is going to add much cost. Fractions of a penny maybe?

I also understand the logic of why non-GMO would cost more than GMO, based on the old supply-and-demand equation (much less non-GMO than GMO in the marketplace, correct?)--and perhaps added cost (if any) associated with growing non-GMO versus GMO?

From purely a business standpoint, proudly displaying "non-GMO" on a label would seem to be a great way to make one's product stand out from the GMO crowd, much like the organic "branding" we see at the health food stores.

What I'm trying to get my brain wrapped around is the logic of assuming something is safe until proven otherwise. Sadly the reality is that we don't have much choice right now. Not saying that's right, just saying that's the hand we've been dealt. In this sense, most of us are "volunteering," by default, to be the guinea pigs.

I'll report back after this GMO stuff kills me. Wink
Tim

A superior man is modest in his speech, but exceeds in his actions--Confucius
With cross contamination, would there be any non-GMO's in the future? Thus, there really isn't a choice, is there?

"An idea whose time has come cannot be stopped" Dr. Ron Paul 2012
SECRET KNOWLEDGE - "NOT FOR US TO KNOW"? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91qs9v-upWI

Monsanto is a Chemical Company.
Monsanto is developing seed that will withstand herbicide spraying.
Monsanto's provocation is to maximize profit for it's shareholders.
Monsanto is suing farmers.
Ain't it a shame. There is a lot to be excited about regarding the science of GMO. Unfortunately Monsanto is involved and what could be some great advances in science are being manipulated by a major corporation to a huge disadvantage.

I am less afraid of GMO itself than I am of Monsanto.
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
http://www.organicconsumers.org/articles..._26370.cfm

Hawaii County also submitted a proposed GMO labeling resolution to the HSAC package.

Today is the oldest you've ever been and the youngest you'll ever be, enjoy this day!
I don't know how I got over the hill without getting to the top.
Well stated, Rob Tucker and Greg. Not all anti-GMO people would necessarily be against all GMO. If, say, there were an ethical company that came about who actually did ethical business and did not take chances with people's health, ecological health, or the world's food supply. If that were the case, maybe we wouldn't be fighting to have GMOs labeled because the ethics involved would be much more trustworthy. But I don't see that happening.

For now the GMO giants are an arrogant, massive company who considers themselves above the rules and beyond reproach, just slamming around the planet doing whatever they want, paying people off if they stand in their way. Some governments say, "Not here, there's the door". Others say, "Ahh, what can it hurt, here's the keys to the city!" I'd rather we be one that says, "Prove it's safety, meet these rigorous standards, be honest in your labeling, or go peddle your wares elsewhere".

Was stoked to see that in the HSAC, Lin!

Melissa Fletcher
"Make yurts, not war" Bill Coperthwaite, 1973
GMO papaya has saved the local industry. Hawaiian papaya farmers are extremely hard workers who, as usual, do not make a high living doing what they do. There are not that many things that thrive in a freshly ripped lava field. Papaya do.

The GMO Rainbow papaya which are resistant to the ringspot virus were developed by the College of Tropical Agriculture at UH (I believe, correct me if I am wrong).

Monsanto, and I assume some others, have been empowered by a Supreme Court decision some years ago that, for the first time, allow living organisms to be patented. Such a decision may have been pro business but it was in my opinion a huge mistake.

The example of the Rainbow Payapa is the way GMO should proceed. Cooperative efforts between a university and the agricultural community. How do we get back to that model? I don't know.
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
quote:
Originally posted by Rob Tucker

Ain't it a shame. There is a lot to be excited about regarding the science of GMO. Unfortunately Monsanto is involved and what could be some great advances in science are being manipulated by a major corporation to a huge disadvantage.

I am less afraid of GMO itself than I am of Monsanto.

Ditto. You got that right, amigo.

Lee Eisenstein
http://members.cruzio.com/~lionel/event

"Be kinder than necessary, as everyone you meet is engaged in some kind of strudel."
Lee Eisenstein
http://members.cruzio.com/~lionel/event

"Be kinder than necessary, as everyone you meet is engaged in some kind of strudel."