Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If you have a dog
Got a result. This morning, after nearly stepping in the nice turd the dog had left just outside my front door, I went to the Humane Society and spoke to them. They said they would send someone over to talk to the owner. This evening when I arrived back I was immediately met with barking from the usual place but the dog did not attack and in fact stayed where it was. I went a little bit closer to see what was going on (all on my own property) and the dog became noisier but still didn't approach. Finally I saw that it was tied up on a rope.

Look, I'm a dog lover and I don't like seeing dogs left alone and tied on a rope, but in this case at least the neighborhood is safer and people and kids walking along the street outside won't get attacked - and the dog is still guarding the neighbor's property. And I can enjoy my yard again.

We'll see how this goes and if there's a reaction from the neighbors but so far so good and it's nice to get a result so quickly. I asked the HS to call me and let me know what happened but have not heard anything so far.

Tom
http://apacificview.blogspot.com/
Sorry for posting to an old thread. This has certainly been an interesting day or two what with fraudulent charges to my credit card and now back to the story of my neighbors and their attack dog.

For the last few months the dog has been tied up, but in recent weeks it has been allowed to roam again, including in my yard. Yesterday evening there was sudden shouting in the street outside. The attack dog had tried to attack two of my other (very sweet) neighbors while they were walking their own dogs. They both carried large sticks (one stick was a 9-iron I believe) and one had hornet spray. Fortunately, neither were hurt but were pretty shaken.

I talked to one of the neighbors this evening and she told me that she contacted the police and the humane society. Apparently, the sheriff (?) visited today but no-one answered the door where the attack dog lives (my immediate not-so-sweet neighbor). The Sheriff left a notice on the door and reported to my other neighbor that there were now two dogs running loose, not just one. The landlord of that house has also been notified.

After our chat I walked back to my house but noticed one of the bad neighbors was slowly driving off in the distance, but then stopped and drove back - very slowly. They then stopped outside my house for a minute or so before reversing back into their drive, stopping for a few minutes and then reversing all the way back to their house.

To say I'm a little nervous about what's coming next is an understatement, but hopefully the situation will be resolved one way or the other in the next couple of days.

It's a real shame. I have wonderful neighbors apart from the immediate one, we're all looking out for each other and I also adore dogs, so this is hard. The bad neighbor has been spoken to by us and said he'd restrain the dog, but that clearly isn't happening. Anyway, will update everyone if you are interested.

Letting an attack dog loose when you're already on notice for your dog attacking both children and adults, well, that's just inexcusable.

Tom
I am sorry to hear about this. I think I live fairly close to you, but far enough away so that I do not know about the dog that was tied up and them allowed to roam. I actually have been luckier in terms of these encounters than I was on the mainland, but there are irresponsible people who allow their dogs to go every which way and my dog has been to the vet once already. Fortunately, it was just a nip that drew a lot of blood, but caused only temporary injury. The owners did apologize sincerely, which apology I accepted. She was also rolled by a big loose dog, but he did not bite her. I am very grateful that corrective action was taken in that incident.

I never leave my street because I know that if I do, an unchained doberman will come charging out at us. The owner who is otherwise very nice doesn't seem to care that I can't walk in front of her house. I don't quite get that. I have another neighbor who thinks it is kind of funny that her big dog slips out of his collar sometimes and that she is barely strong enough to contain him. When I point it out to her, she gets the giggles. He can easily slip out from under his fence. I put him back in one time and he nearly bit me for returning him safely to the yard. My neighbors are all very nice and I like them a lot, but they sometimes allow their dogs to put me in fear of injury to my dog, or even to my person. That isn't right. I would never do that to them. The golden rule works pretty well here if you apply it.
Kelena - yes, I think we live quite close to each other. Sorry to hear about your problems as well.

All my neighbors are wonderful, friendly, caring and we look out for each other - except for this one neighbor who has made life scary for all of us. It's a real shame. Caring for your neighbors and helping them out whenever they need it is one thing, but no matter how many of those are around, just one bad family will make it hell for everyone.

When I first moved to this place that neighbor's house was occupied by the nicest guy in the World. He was called Brett and was an entertainer. We got on so well and some of you here might even know who I'm talking about. He sang and played music in several places in Puna. I can't remember his last name unfortunately, but last I heard he was still living in Puna. At the weekends, when I was at home, I could hear him singing and playing the most gorgeous music. It made the place sound magical. That's the kind of loud neighbor I want, not someone who lets their 80lb dog attack children in the street so that all you hear are screams and children crying.

Tom
Tom, IMO, Stick to your guns but avoid the drama the guy is trying to stage. ... He renting ( short term ) and, IMO if his dog ever messed with me outside while walking on the road. ... That thing would be dead .... End of story.

aloha,
pog
Pog - please be assured that if I'm around and that dog attacks another child, a neighbor or me it will die by a nine-iron in the head, a cricket bat up its arse or being butchered by a carving knife. No questions asked. On the other hand I'm not going around the neighborhood with a six-shooter in my hand!

The thing is it was all kind of peaceful until recently when the dog was let loose again to attack everyone. Why do that? The dog was restrained for several months after the first visit by the humane society but then let loose to terrorize everyone over the new year. Did they think we'd forget or just say that's what it's like here? I don't understand their thinking.

Tom
Totally get it Tom ... But you have the right to walk on the street. No mercy on the dog vs humans and no apologies to any dog lovers here. ... Maybe one more chance / warning as a nice neighbor den pau.

aloha,
pog
Tom.
Definitely involve the landowner...believe it or not, if they are notified of the dangerous dog & do nothing, they, as the land owners, have liability. If there is a property management, they should also be involved... and I do mean INVOLVED. most likely the dogs are not complying with the rental agreement... most have boilerplate inclusions against dangerous/unlawful activities & if the police have been involved, most likely the lease has been broken!

And it helps if you get all of your nice neighbors on board. The more people that contact the landowner & the more consistent the message, the more responsibility the landowner has in rectifying the situation, if something does go very wrong...

Oh, and make sure you get any police reports... but after my little foray into that, most likely the report will be so incorrectly filled out that it is useless - & good only for the bottom of a bird cage....

I hate to mix metaphors, and this is NOT intended as flamebait, but...

Aren't these "private" roads? Doesn't that affect the "liability", or at least grant "more" rights to the resident/owners?

Seems like the issue should cut both ways, is all I'm sayin'.
The county code has regulations on dogs, that are not superseded by the private status of the subdivision, & the regulations are not about the road status, but are about the nature of the dog (ie, special code for 'vicious' animal) & confinement of the dog within a property...

So no, if the activity is against the county code, the land/dog owner has the liability, & most likely the lease has stipulations within that do not allow violations, so that would be a breaking of the lease.

Another way of saying it, if property insurance rates/coverage could/would be effected, most likely it is not allowed in the lease, on most boilerplate leases... & having a dog that bites, jumps, aggressively goes after people does effect most insurance, so probably would have an effect on the lease.