Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Helicopters over Puna
We are new to this area (Ainaloa) and there is an awful lot of helicopter traffic flying very near our house. I don't know if it's police looking for pot or the tours or a combination of the two. Most of the helicopters appear to be white and green. It's very loud and disturbing. There are several an hour on the weekends. I'm thinking about moving but we just got here. Does anyone have any information? This is really a disturbance of the peace and noise pollution.
This list may help you ID WHOSE helicopter...but if there is an emergency...any could be assisting (there was a search, covered in an earlier post, that would account for traffic this weekend:
http://www.punaweb.org/Forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=16059)

White body with a green tail is Safari Helicopter Tours
White body with a yellow & green spot behind the door is Paradise Helicopter Tours
White with Yellow/green writing near rotors - Topical Helicopter Tours
Dark blue Blue Hawaii Helicopter Tours
Yellow with red diagonal stripes - Hawaii COunty Rescue
Yellow is Maui Rescue (usually here for "green Harvest"
White with red diagonal - Coast guard
Grey - Military
Flat Black and silent - RUN like the wind !!!

http://www.icompositions.com/artists/jlgerk
When you buy property above Hwy 130 ,wanting to get away from the highway, Realtors should disclose that there is an invisible highway in the sky right above you.
One Thing I can always be sure of is that things will never go as expected.
You've discovered one of the biggest disappointments if living here. The choppers are completely disrespectful, and while there's activity in changing the laws in the air tours manual:

http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/fiel...n_proc.pdf

It's not likely to happen soon. The almighty tourist dollar drives this, along with the weather.

Here's another thread in this forum, talking about choppers over our heads:

http://punaweb.org/Forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14777

Sincerely sorry you didn't know of this in advance. The good ol' boy/girl Realtor network may hang out at the same pub as the chopper pilots; it is something that should be revealed to every buyer, no doubt...

I certainly didn't know, and my actions would have been different if I had known.

-- rainshadow
-- rainshadow
edited... double post Smile

save our indigenous and endemic Hawaiian Plants... learn about them, grow them, and plant them on your property, ....instead of all that invasive non-native garbage I see in most yards... aloha
save our indigenous and endemic Hawaiian Plants... learn about them, grow them, and plant them on your property, ....instead of all that invasive non-native garbage I see in most yards... aloha
either accept this noise abuse we are subjected to daily, or move, it's not gonna change
Mahalo for your responses. If there is anyone interested in changing this situation, please contact me either here on Punaweb or my email @ laptoplani@gmail.com. WE HAVE A RIGHT TO PEACE AND PRIVACY.
I sincerely wish you Good Luck, Don Quixote, in titling with these flying windmills.
Ilan... you may want click the "search" button & search 'Helicopter'....

As my neighbors have said (most with 60+ years living here) ... 'they are only going to be here for a while, when Pele changes her mind, they will fly away'

When we first moved here, the flow was not where it is today, and the copters did not fly overhead....in fact, we carefully chose this area BECAUSE there was no flight traffic! the best laid plans....

The flow changed, & the birds like to fly over all of the Keaau schools right now....
When the flow is easy to walk up to, fewer of those roto-birds flying to the flow...
When the flow stops, the noisy birds are doing more scenic flights...

Many of my neighbors remember when Kilauea Iki caused traffic jams on Volcano Rd from the park all the way down & beyond Keaau town (which is now Hwy 11 & the remnants - "old" Volcano Rd)).... for them, the tourist trade, in all of its' variants, is part of living in Peles' neighborhood...