Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Helicopters over Puna
quote:
Originally posted by rainyjim

"Include pictures as attachments. For each have a close-up identifying tail # and company, direction, est altitude, current weather, and a second shot pulled back that shows context. At minimum."

^ this sounds like it would be difficult to accomplish for even a professional photographer with equipment let alone your average joe.

Agreed, rainyjim - it is. But, it's also possible. I think I shared my gear/settings on this forum previously. Happy to share my process again if anyone is interested.

To the 'directly overhead' comment; yep, that's very valid and true. No tail numbers on the bottoms of these aircraft.

Just in this thread, I count ~4-6 people who are against this activity. I'm in contact a few others of similar mindset, separate from this thread. As mentioned, enough people making waves, especially together in the same room with DOH, FAA, and other reps... could put new pressure on the flights, yes??

Just a thought.

Here's a fun (not!) example of one persons Christmas Day experience (in Orchidland) with exactly what we're discussing on this thread (what would Steven Tyler think of this??):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qH4AiWS5wJM

-- rainshadow
-- rainshadow
Actually, for insight into the uselessness of "get the tail number", go park in the cell phone lot at ITO and watch the helicopters for a while -- you'll find that the tail number is only really "readable" for the folks in the control tower.
quote:
Originally posted by kalakoa

Actually, for insight into the uselessness of "get the tail number", go park in the cell phone lot at ITO and watch the helicopters for a while -- you'll find that the tail number is only really "readable" for the folks in the control tower.

That's what software is for...
Smile

-- rainshadow
-- rainshadow
This is the response I got from Ruderman's office. Bottom line, they say it's a federal issue and they only deal with state issues. At least they responded:

'Thank you for calling Senator Russell E. Ruderman’s Office about the helicopter noise over your home in Ainaloa.

Per our discussions by phone on Tuesday, March 19, 2013 and Friday, March 22, 2013, we have researched the issue and found additional information to help you. As you mentioned, the FAA does not have rules governing noise levels emanating from aircraft operations because their primary focus is safety related. Therefore, any aircraft noise complaints are handled by the State of Hawaii, Department of Transportation (DOT), Airports Division. Please call Mr. Hank Brunker, General Aviation Officer who can assist you further with issues of helicopter noise. If the helicopters are flying low over your home, which is a safety issue, please document the incidents according to this FAA guide at http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/fiel...mphlet.pdf (also attached) and send it to the FAA.

After further research into possible State legislation to aid your situation, we have found that because the National Airspace System is under Federal jurisdiction, State legislation is not a feasible option to help you in varying flight patterns. We hope that the DOT and FAA can help you. Please contact our office if you have any other issues or questions related to legislation or senatorial District 2, Puna - Ka’u.

Mahalo,

Dayva Keolanui, Office Manager
Office of Senator Russell E. Ruderman
Senatorial District 2 - Puna-Ka'u
Tel: (808) 586-6890
Toll free from Hawai'i Island: 974-4000 ext. 66890
Fax: (808) 586-6899
d.keolanui@capitol.hawaii.gov

quote:
Originally posted by rainshadow

Hey Ilan, here's a few FAA contacts. These guys deal directly with noise issues here on the island. Whether they can do anything about it or not is always a question, but I highly suggest getting in touch with them. Include pictures as attachments. For each have a close-up identifying tail # and company, direction, est altitude, current weather, and a second shot pulled back that shows context. At minimum.

Charles.Cantu@faa.gov
David.S.Ryon@faa.gov
Kyle.M.Bartler@faa.gov

Also, here's the HI CO mayor contact: rcommand@co.hawaii.hi.us

Komrad Kenoi can't bother with the little people, but Bobby Command will respond to you, for sure. He has a lot of info on this topic.

I've written (lately) Tulsi Gabbard and have a letter ready for Russell. In the past Mazie took this on briefly and put some pressure on the FAA, as did various district reps. I tried to followup for a response from Mazie, with no success.

Hanohano could care less. If you're not in her direct ohana... good luck.

There are others, and I'm always firing off something or other towards them about this issue. Despite the fact that everyone seems to take these for granted, I think it's b^%$##it and will continue to make my own kine noise about it, come what will.

And for the record, I'm not against tourism, either. It drives much of what happens here.

Including the politicians. :~/

-- rainshadow

Mahalo for this info, rainshadow. I will be contacting those you listed.
I do find it amazing that the current helicopter flight paths are right over all of the Keaau schools in Keaau town (as they usually go between HWY 130 & old Keaau-Pahoa Rd - right above all of the public schools & very close to the other schools in Keaau town)

If there is any concern for safety, I would really think that flying over schools would NOT be an optimal choice, and most of us know that the helicopters do fly low at times (usually most of the time!)....

I have sent documentation, multiple emails....multiple phone calls (it is very interesting that the FAA contact is a small airplane owner on Oahu - amazing what you can find out when you are on hold!)

The most interesting fact I can find is that I have been mentioning the helicopter fly overs in Keaau schools lately & my safety concerns about that, & the more I bring that fact up, the fewer fly overs during school hours... I really have noticed it the last week....as school is out & the traffic has been back.... so the pilots are flexible, but only if it is in THEIR (or their companies) best interest....but from this, I would say that safety is the main concern of the local, state & FAA so ya gotta make sure that safety is YOUR main pitch/concern

That & this forum may be a very effective platform for concerns to be taken seriously....as I gave up on the reporting stuff quite a while ago...ie when I figured out that the people we are giving our concerns to may be the same people that fly overhead....
I find it very interesting how this issue is politicized to the extremes of hypocrisy.
The State Dept. of Health's own publication (Noise Reference Manual)clearly states that the Noise Control Act authorizes,

"states and cities to retain the primary responsibility for the control of noise. State and political subdivisions were therefore preempted from imposing their own emission standards on new products, but not from controlling noise through permitting, regulations, or the restriction of use or operation".
HRS 342F states, "the Director (DOH) shall prevent, control, and abate noise pollution in the State", and Hawaii administrative rules, Title 11, Dept. of Health, chapter 46, Community Noise Control further illustrates this.

Neither the FAA or the DOT CAN or WILL address a public health issue.
The FAA will only consider safety issues that endanger those in the air, and even then, what does it take to report an altitude violation? Pictures and video will always be considered "insufficient evidence".

Because this activity has such strong lobbying in DC, plus the enormous amount of revenue it generates, the State and County refuse to address the issue. I don't buy this jurisdiction rhetoric for one second. It is a very convenient way to dismiss legitimate complaints.

This is a public health issue. Of course we all know, the health and well-being of tax-payers (residents) will always take a back seat to tourism and corporate interests. Take a look at the signs around Banyan Drive, "Noise Ordinance Strictly Enforced". You'll never see a tour helicopter flying less than 3000' anywhere near the hotels.

Hey 4dognight do you have a link to that doc? I'd like to take a closer perusal. DOH is an interesting angle. (Though they may be busy, all tied up trying to leach HPPOA about excessive dust and what not...)
Smile

-- rainshadow
-- rainshadow
Ironically, Banyan Dr is "owned" by State.

I suspect the problem is purely "revenue-based", because there don't seem to be helicopter "problems" except over the "cheap" land where people are getting "such a good deal" on their property taxes.

Maybe we should all complain to DoH -- I'm sure there's plenty of "excessive dust" on all these "privately funded" roads, and they clearly don't have enough to do over there...