Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hawaiian Acres or Leilani, HPP
Aloha!!
We are househunting in the Puna area and we are very torn between a few different subdivisions so I was hoping maybe for some feedback[8D]
We are looking for lots of vegitation and less rain then Ive seen at the higher elevations, and at an elevation that wont limit the variety of fruits, veggtables and trees we can grow, So I am leaning toward closer to the ocean and lower elevation.
But have seen a few lovely properties and homes in Hawaiian Acres.With large 3 acre lots and good elbow roomSmile I have not spent a lot of time in Hawaiian Acres, usually down HPP and it seems much dryer there.
We have also looked around Leilani as I love how very Lush it is.
If anyone is interested I would love to have thoughts and insights!
You might try looking at Orchidland. It is sort of a hybrid between HPP and HA. The roads are mostly decent, but the lots are 2 or 3 acres and some are rectangular. I bought a 2 acre rec. lot in there and am very happy with the dimensions and weather. IT's 233 feet by 375 feet. I just put a housepad in towards the back of the lot with a good buffer of jungle all the way around. GL.
In my opinion...HPP between 5th and 10th. Sunny and dry 1 acre lots...although vegetation can be scarce ....but just about everything you mentioned can grow there. From 5th to the ocean there can be some salt damage to sensitive plants from storms that blow salt spray inland.
Lelani sits right on top of the east rift, zone 1. Buyer beware.
One Thing I can always be sure of is that things will never go as expected.
We bought in Hawaiian Acres because it's cooler; need at least a light blanket year-round, instead of sweaty sheets.
But that does mean a lot of plants don't produce as well.

><(((*> ~~~~ ><(("> ~~~~ ><'> ~~~~ >(>
If you want to grow really tropical fruit trees - mangosteen, etc. stay below about 7 Road in Hawaiian Acres. We are on 22nd in HPP and it is a great balance of sun and rain, if you can be satisfied with only 1 acre.

Allen
Finally in HPP
Allen
Finally in HPP
These are estimates of rainfall, and it does vary from year to year:
HPP Ocean - 70-80" per year
HPP Highway - 100-110"
Orchidland - 100-130"
Leilani - this is a guess, probably a little more than Orchidland as it's a higher elevation
Hawaiian Acres - 120-175"
Below 10th or 11th Street in HPP is the driest area on your list
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
Keep in mind that these subdivisions are so large that each will have various flavors of "neighborhood" in addition to the overall posture.

Leilani has tight CC&Rs and they're not afraid to use them. Example: chickens aren't allowed (even though they're clearly an "agricultural use" per County zoning).

Hawaiian Acres has no CC&Rs (nor mandatory road fees). Other than a bit of gentrification around the paved roads, it's more like the wild west.

HPP is somewhere in the middle.

If you plan on claiming the "ag operational exemption" under HR2646, you may need more than one lot to meet the 2-acre minimum.
Oh so many great responses!! Thank you soo much! I have a lot of things to yet investigate! I love the 2-3 acres availability of Orchidland and HA and the rural feeling there, but I guess one could get that feeling in many areas in around PunaSmile
I dont mind CC&R's as long as they dont tell me what color beige to paint my homeSmile And they can help build a sense of community.
I think without spending a great deal of time within each area it may be almost impossible to find the flavor of the area, I am interested in a place where long walks are safe to take and kids can play in their yards without too many worries although again I think that is something only time will tell!
We are on 23rd near Kaloli in HPP. We do get quite a bit of rain. Much of it happens at night. Stuff grows quite well here. We like being closer to Hilo. Our Daughter, who lives on 3rd off Makuu has a much longer drive to Hilo from that property. I love it when it rains at night and waters the plants and fills the catchment tank. We have never had our tank get anywhere near low on water. I understand some of the lower numbered streets can run the tank dry and have to have a water truck come and fill it. WE also looked at houses at some of the developments farther away from Hilo, but we are happy with our location where we are. About 12 miles to Hilo. 6 miles to Keaau where our PO Box is. 6-7 miles to Pahoa. Well above any tsunami danger. Never gets cold (we are from the Puget Sound area of Wa. State).
Good luck in your choice, and may it be the right one for you.

Jon in Keaau/HPP
Jon in Keaau/HPP