Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
P.E. teacher in Keaau
So my child has PE in Keaau at school, the teacher tells the kids the first day they must bring extra clothes everyday,shirt, shorts,socks to change into everyday for P.E.
But then again after teacher conferences last year I was utterly amazed at what passes for a teacher here with the exception of one or two.
Of course no note home to notify parents of what is needed.

They have no lockers there so other then the huge backpack of notebooks and textbooks and giant folder they require now my child is carrying extra clothes daily.
Okay
Then the P.E. teacher tells the kids the locker rooms are under contruction and they must change everything down to their socks everyday for P.E. in the teachers classroom, or they will lower their grade.
My child feels uncomfortable doing this. I would of told my teacher to get bent back when I was younger. Standard practice for the teachers in Hawaii? Wouldn't surprise me!
I find it amazing that its gone on so long!
I t would be a good idea to contact your community liaison. You can set up a meeting and discuss the options. Also, be sure to contact the teacher directly to see about excluding your child from that activity.

Un Mojado Sin Licencia
Un Mojado Sin Licencia
Ummmm. Sounds very fishy. Like Catholic fishy.
Talk to the principal,skip the middle people
After Sandusky one would think this kind of stuff would be done differently - institutional public nudity has always struck me as being problematical...

Locker room nudity is not problematical in and of itself, but certain coaches and teachers are. Dressing and showering together was completely ordinary until some hysterical parents started whining in the 1980's. As for Rattlestaff's issue, it would seem to be temporary due to construction. Of course, even I find it absurd for the kids to have to carry around dirty gym clothes or keep them in their regular lockers. And this being Hawaii, that construction could go on for years. Talk to the principal.
At the beginning of the year at parents day the PE teacher informed all the parents there that a change of a shirt after PE was all that was required, (for hygienic reasons) which was fine.
However this semester there is apparently a different teacher for PE and has decided the kids must change their entire outfit.
(For hygienic reasons) putting clean clothes over dirty body does nothing for hygiene except make clean clothes dirty and sweaty.
It makes no sense for one thing. Then they carry said dirty clothes in their backpacks for the rest of the day.
Absolutely absurd!
And for another thing there is no reason to make the kids change if they are unable to provide adequate changing areas.
My child has resolved to wear 2 pairs of clothing dailySmile
So there is no need to strip down in the classroom.
Ridiculus.
I have a call into the school with msg, but have yet to hear back.
You got a smart kid, good strategy.
Rattlestaff ... What will be the difference between changing in a locker room and the class room ?
If uncomfortable, maybe go to rest room to change ?

Clothes can go into a ziplock bag.

Have P.E. class at the end of the day ? Rotating through grades.

Why don't you go there directly if its such a problem in lieu of waiting for a response ?

"- institutional public nudity has always struck me as being problematical..."

as far as the whole locker room showering together at public schools thing goes, i would agree. can't say i regret missing out on that bit of traditional fun myself. seems an obvious no-brainer kids should not be pressured into situations involving nudity they are not comfortable with.