Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where is the aloha?
If we didn't like it here, we wouldn't be here. We're trying to make it even better.
This forum is hardly a meaningful cross-section of the demographic in Puna. It's a lot like almost all the rest of the online "communities". Get up, go outside and almost nobody is in the online mode. But most kamaaina know Puna is the ugly stepchild of the BI, not due to the stunning beauty and aloha of the aina, but that it's at the bottom for per capita, has a medium city population with medium city demands but spread out over a vast area, with a lot of displaced people, domestic problems, gun culture, mixed with a lot of alcohol. Alcohol is the big factor. Then packed together on tiny lots in failed run down developments.

The only generalization that can be made about Hawaii is that no generalization can be made, especially with the BI. Weather is a big topic, pouring down rain, go up the road ten miles, baking sun. Wait ten minutes and it's changed. Same with all these failed developments, generally run down but there can be Mac-mansions here and there, interspersed with abandoned tear-down shacks. Some developments are more rough than others -- really rough.

"This island Hawaii on this island Earth"
*Japanese tourist on bus through Pahoa, "Is this still America?*
Sometimes we are just describing a problem with the thought that someone else might have a constructive answer. Some things need to be complained about, that is how you help start change, find people with the same complaint, and organize around making it better. I don't feel like this is such a complainers forum at all, anyway.

Peace and long life
Peace and long life
Love it or hate it. You will both.
Ironic is...
Puna side. No vog, ample rainfall, beautiful forests, affordable.
Kona side VOG, Drought, Barren Rock, Expensive.
One Thing I can always be sure of is that things will never go as expected.
quote:
Originally posted by Radiopeg

Sometimes we are just describing a problem with the thought that someone else might have a constructive answer. Some things need to be complained about, that is how you help start change, find people with the same complaint, and organize around making it better.
I think this is the main point, and if you don't get this, Cheerdafup... then that may be part of the problem.

And the solution to that problem?
Well, you could probably find the answer on this forum.

If you choose to continue to be involved, of course.
Aloha!

-- rainshadow
-- rainshadow
quote:
Originally posted by kimo wires

Love it or hate it. You will both.
Ironic is...
Puna side. No vog, ample rainfall, beautiful forests, affordable.
Kona side VOG, Drought, Barren Rock, Expensive.

Oh, we had some vog there but yeah, nothing like Kona side. We need to get the Waikiki-tize Kona side campaign going and advertise, "All the Aloha went to Kona".

"This island Hawaii on this island Earth"
*Japanese tourist on bus through Pahoa, "Is this still America?*
I agree with you on a lot of responses at times. I am Happa and I see racism as a disease. I think moving to Hawaii will be better in some ways as almost everybody is mixed and different. But I do have eyes open that there is still a lot of it in Hawaii. I have spent a lot of time there over 20 years, but never felt as alienated there as here in Iowa.

Here is an example of a post I replied to that quoted me on the new restaruant thread.

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by nana valley

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Wuzzerdad

You have cleaner air and water than here, and we have some of the best of both on the mainland. You also have interesting people there, not just 96% white racist aholes. I almost have to wear sungalsses to go to Walmart.

Rick, seriously? You're coming here with that attitude?

He who hoots with owls at night cannot soar with the eagles in the morning.

And my attitude is what? That I don't like racist assholes, and like clean air and water? Is that a problem with comming to live in Puna?

I was just wondering if you actually read what I wrote before you copped an attitude with what I said?

For the record, I hate racist assholes and love clean air and water.

If that is a problem with being compatible with Puna Hawaii, let me know....

[:p]

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.
Mahalo
Rick
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.
Mahalo
Rick
Ohhh Kimo, for Kona you left out spectacular uncrowded beaches..lots of sunshine
Wouldn't it be easier to hate all assholes, not just the racist ones?
If reading the first post quoted above, it's not all racist assholes, just the white ones. The need for sunglasses also appears to be a tell. But, whatever...

Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.