Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
United out of Hilo question
Taking the UA flight from ITO to LAX tonight and will be checking bags for the first time. I already have my boarding pass and would like to know if there is an express bag drop line for those who checked in on line. If so, where is it? Also, is the little shop inside security still open that late? The last time I did this was way back when it was still a Continental flight. Thanks in advance!
My information is a few months old so maybe someone else has taken that flight more recently. In December 2012, the shops were closed when we checked in but of course that may have changed. You can try calling the airport directly.

There was no express baggage drop line - just one big line at the ticket counter. However, once you get to the front of the line, you will be able to use a kiosk while those who need agent assistance will not be able to use it, so you will get out of there faster than those buying tickets at the airport. At the kiosk, you can type in your records locator code or you can insert the credit card you used to make the reservation. Verify the number of bags you're checking, pay if you haven't done so already, and wait for an agent to call your name. Oh, and make sure you get your bag inspected by the agriculture agent before you get in line.

If you get there early enough, you may be able to check your bag at the curb as long as you have your boarding pass. I'm not sure how late the porters work, though.

Have a great trip!
The souvenir shop will be open.
Also one thing we have done lately is use the last minute first class upgrade - has been available for anywhere from $89 to $139 --- gets lower as time gets closer but also less seats available.

Free bags and free cocktails, movies and meal.

Not a bad deal if you are paying for a checked bag anyway...
Just got email from United saying flight is over two hours delayed. Will they keep security open until the new flight time, or do I need to get there close to the original time? I just checked the in-flight status, and there's no way it will be delayed less than two hours, but it is the last flight of the night out, so TSA may go home. Any thoughts?
I had family who were on LAX-ITO and their flight didn't get in until after midnight, TSA was still there.
handy

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/UAL11.../KLAX/PHTO
Thanks for all the helpful info, folks. It is scheduled to get in at 10:23 and to leave at 11:00. Can they turn that thing around that fast? Seems like it would take all that time just to unload and board, nevermind clean, etc. Oh well, my 7:58 connection in LAX is looking dicey unless they can actually do a turnaround that fast. We'll see.
They can turn around that fast, and every time I've taken that flight (probably 10 times or so now) we've gotten in ahead of schedule, so you should be fine. United pads their flight times to make their on-time arrival stats look good.