Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Puna could use a few more places to eat?
Sure would be nice to see a few more food trucks or wagons. Maybe a couple of cafe's and a few more smaller type of markets. Why don't we see more huli-huli chicken or Taco's on the side of the road selling through these tough times? What needs to change a bit to allow more to capitalize on this tourism boom?
I would like to see something like Jawz Fish Tacos on Maui. So delicious and now they have mobile food trucks along the beaches which would be perfect for "going with the (lava) flow" here in Puna.

http://www.jawzfishtacos.com/restaurant-kihei-maui.htm
The shortage of C-zoned real estate and the overly restrictive Development Plan make it very difficult (and expensive) to sustain any new business in Puna, especially where food preparation is involved.

When the new HMSA building is complete, I'm expecting another Subway and maybe a Starbuck's. It would be "nice" if these were local flavor instead, but given what happened to Jus'Pound I'm not holding my breath.
Is Smoky Joes coming back ever? We miss them!
When Nevaehs opened some individuals tried to crucify them here and on yelp and elsewhere because they tried to pay their employees minimum wage. I can't imagine what they would do to the owner-operators of a food truck working for free or at a loss because they are trying to pay back their startup costs.

http://www.punaweb.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=16323&whichpage=1
Smoky Joes

Parked in front of Pahoa Feed; is it not open?

they tried to pay their employees minimum wage

See above; with the cost of doing business, they're lucky to afford employees.

I miss Pearl Bakery...
I haven't seen Joe's open in a long time. I'm not sure but I think when they closed the main drag, even though it was closed right after his place, people just stopped going down there. I know that Pahoa feed was hit hard.
quote:
Originally posted by terracore

When Nevaehs opened some individuals tried to crucify them here..

We just didnt think they were that good. BUT... I live with a person who is planning his vacation trip around a big BBQ competition event on the mainland that is a week long. His standards are very high.

on the pork or beef dilemma, his opinion is pork ribs. But Texans do like their beef ribs, and his opinion is you dont find beef ribs much outside of Texas.

I always defer on this subject to my hubby's opinion. Growing up in Cali - it was a debate over sprouts and avocado, so I dont have much rib knowledge.
Government red tape makes it hard here to get permits for food sales is a long slow process.

jrw
jrw
What happened to Jus Pound? I love their food.