Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How cheaply can you live in Puna?
As a budget traveler I could easily get by on $1000 per week. At $1400 per month you are going to have to really scrimp on food and rent and maybe a moped will get you to the grocery store if you aren't scared of getting hit. Then what do you do about all of your medical expenses and the normal financial emergencies that come along in life? Before you really do the move its best to find a long summer rental to experiment to see if you can survive and to see if you really like the island life or just infatuated w/ the idea. A short vacation visit will not give you a "real" look at what you are up against.
topograph:
Similar situation here.
Very modest, simple lifestyle, not a lot of "stuff".
I just want to cook, eat, sleep, communicate and get around
with a minimal footprint, and be clean, secure and safe.
I also contribute to the community modestly as I am able; both time and money.
Paid substantially into five figures of taxes and fees just local/State
last year. Make minimal demands on local and State resources.
On the County and State level at least,(DOE,HDOT, DHS/CPS, and County
shall we say- practices) I wonder whether government officials realize how to use such resources as we are required to provide them to do the jobs that we ask them to do.
Just asking a question.
quote:
Originally posted by pahoated

There is a thread on city-data.com, where there are many more of these types of posts like the OP, and a guy is saying "Stop encouraging the minimalists to move to Puna". If all you do is encourage the ghettofication of Puna, then how can Puna expect anything?

It's really not making any rational sense. The police are no good, we need more police. There is too much government, we need more government services. We need to pay less taxes, but we want a government clerk there right now. We need giant parks but we can't repair minor roads. We want free bus service and free solar panels, who cares where those subsidies come from.

If a large percentage of the population is minimalist to be indistinguishable from poverty, then that does not lead to a robust society structure. People living on bare minimum social security are not going to grow an economy, and actually are a load on two to three younger people that are working and have jobs.

"This island Hawaii on this island Earth"

I'm glad to see this POV expressed, even if I am the target in this case. My point in posing my question was predicated upon my expectation that I will have a PT remote contract job -- as stated in the OP -- that would in fact more than double my income (w/SS) to nearly 3K/month. I wanted to know whether I could live on $1400 if absolutely necessary. I certainly don't plan to be part of the ghettofication of Puna, whatever that means. I'm aware it's economically marginal there, but I won't make it worse.

But now I have a better sense of the possibilities. Mission accomplished, and lots of great new info to consider. Mahalo to all of you who are at least open to the idea of yet another haole immigrant. What makes it especially compelling for me is that I have a large Hawaiian ohana on the Big Island that I've never met, and want to get to know. If not now -- I'm 66 -- then when?

>I wanted to know whether I could live on $1400 if absolutely necessary.

The answer now is: Yes.

The answer later could be different.
I'd say someone bringing a $1400 SS check and Medicare into the economy is likely contributing more on the plus side to the economy than someone taking Welfare, SNAP, Quest, etc. JMHO of course.

David

Ninole Resident
Please visit vacation.ninolehawaii.com
Ninole Resident
Here is just one recent thread on city-data, one of many asking how to move to Hawaii -- poor. Most of the regulars on that forum just gave up trying to respond to these types of posts:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/big-islan...sland.html

It's strange that so many people on social media don't understand some of the ramifications of social media, that is, they can cause human movement. There are a bunch of videos about BI "foraging" (the first one, he says SHHH because he knows it is somebody's private property):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQjZO7SThTg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RssK5sYgP8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10FvsqAjkOo

Even if these orchards have been abandoned, it's still trespassing. If you encourage trespassing on your neighbors' property, should you be offended if those trespassers trespass on your property?

All these people are offended by today's materialism but they have no problem stealing from others? They love picking fruit but don't seem to have any inclination to grow any.

The county council is discussing the need for expanding the homeless ordinance to include panhandling. Why? Because it has gone out on the web that you can live on Hawaii island for free, with a combination of pan-handling, foraging, camping wherever you feel like, and by the way, go ahead and do that for weeks or months. It's become a big enough problem in the Kona area that it's becoming a public nuisance.

http://hawaiitribune-herald.com/sections...dling.html
County officials seek solutions for panhandling

It's true, especially in Puna, it's possible, and not that hard, to live for totally free. There are lots of people that are house sitting for people that have vacation homes here, rent free, there are abandoned orchards that have oranges, tangerines, breadfruit, avocado, jack fruit, papaya, mango, pineapple, sugar cane. Get a pole, free fish. Free range chickens and wild pig. There are solar panels to steal everywhere, so there is the free electricity.

It does explain the appeal for anarchy around here. With anarchy, everything belongs to everybody, much like communism. Except, pure communism is for the equal sharing of all between all. Anarchy is pretty much everyone for themselves, one way or another. What is mine is mine, and what is your's is mine. No police, no firemen, no teachers, no schools, no hospitals, no social structure, just survival of the fittest.

*Japanese tourist on bus through Pahoa, "Is this still America?*
ptrichmondmike, Aloha! Welcome to the big island. Most people forget that hawaii is the 50'th state of the good ol' USA. Just you need 3-400 bucks to buy your one way ticket! Can't just get on a bus or hitchhike to Hawaii.

Don't worry about Ted... That guy walks around with his Born here not flown here t-shirt. You might get a few stink eye looks from the those types but... Hell, I'd rather have people that want to live here and live off the land then go apply for food stamps and section 8.

"Stop encouraging the minimalists to move to Puna". Hahaha Yeah, right... Okay... Hey don't come here it's ugly and terrible. Is that gonna stop em? How the hell does minimalist = ghettofication?

Do you even know what a Minimalist is???

http://www.becomingminimalist.com/escapi...nsumerism/

Great link- thanks!
quote:
Originally posted by ericlp

ptrichmondmike, Aloha! Welcome to the big island. Most people forget that hawaii is the 50'th state of the good ol' USA. Just you need 3-400 bucks to buy your one way ticket! Can't just get on a bus or hitchhike to Hawaii.

Don't worry about Ted... That guy walks around with his Born here not flown here t-shirt. You might get a few stink eye looks from the those types but... Hell, I'd rather have people that want to live here and live off the land then go apply for food stamps and section 8.

"Stop encouraging the minimalists to move to Puna". Hahaha Yeah, right... Okay... Hey don't come here it's ugly and terrible. Is that gonna stop em? How the hell does minimalist = ghettofication?

Do you even know what a Minimalist is???

http://www.becomingminimalist.com/escapi...nsumerism/

Thanks for saying what I wanted to say. Puna Hawaii is as diverse a place as anywhere on the planet. It sure as heck is a much better place to be poor than Iowa. At least it would be very hard to die from exposure.

My wife and I have a pretty good retirement income, but even in Puna without a mortgage I feel we would have to forgo some luxuries we currently enjoy. As far as people go, I would take a retiree on SS over a druggie with a job any day. Some folks just want to keep it only for themselves.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.
Mahalo
Rick
It's better to face reality rather than raise false hopes. It's possible to live here on just social security, EBT and medicare. A lot of retired locals do that. But that isn't to say their life is paradise. A lot of the elderly are struggling and there are some horror stories about what happens to them in some of the homes around here, just like there are the sporadic mysterious murder events. If there is ohana, then there is at least that additional support. Yeah, it can be said, the worst day in paradise still beats a good day on the mainland. But misleading strangers over the internet with false hopes, just for self aggrandizement, is the more reprehensible.

*Japanese tourist on bus through Pahoa, "Is this still America?*