Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
sailing equipment stolen
I just read an article in the newspaper about booms and sails and other equipment being stolen from the "Na Hoa Holomuku Yacht Club" in HIlo. This sounds absolutely devastating to them. I was just hoping that people on this message board could keep an eye out for "sailing equipment" that maybe is in a strange place, or suddenly "just appeared" somewhere. But also, I was wondering what this stuff could possibly be used for other than sailing? Why is this type of stuff being stolen?
sad ..... expensive stuff and of little use to non sailors....
Cut up aluminum for recycling or needed for ones boat to 'escape' off the island.

aloha,
pog
The article did not list much, if any aluminum & not sure how far you will get with all of the clubs catamaran jibs, & not much else...unless you are rigging a many jib rig...with no mainsail...

I will say that the 3 reported incidences are just odd, mostly looking like fairly aggressive vandalism...& not much for resale....or other use

Added article link:
http://hawaiitribune-herald.com/sections...sails.html
Mahalo Carey,

Thats what I get for not reading it.

aloha,
pog
quote:
Originally posted by Carey

The article did not list much, if any aluminum & not sure how far you will get with all of the clubs catamaran jibs, & not much else...unless you are rigging a many jib rig...with no mainsail...

I will say that the 3 reported incidences are just odd, mostly looking like fairly aggressive vandalism...& not much for resale....or other use

Added article link:
http://hawaiitribune-herald.com/sections...sails.html

Ya gotta copy & paste link due to the apostrophe...sorry!
O.K. Thanks Carey ...

First I want to explain to people ... There are no "ropes" on a boat ... Only lines.

Next is I don't think these folks are in touch with replacement costs or shipping realities as per their quotes ...

They DID lose much more than I originally thought. But they numbers way off on some stuff. Either they did not look up actual costs, are over quoting for insurance or some middle man telling them too much.

Please know above reply is based on 7+ years experience in a nearly a parallel business + current knowledge of components and maintenance of these exact boats ...

Oh and YES, I will go down to help.

aloha,
pog

Pog, the article did not state HOW many catamaran jibs were taken, just the full catamaran fleets jibs, in fact the article had no quantity of anything... so I take it that you know the quantity if equipment that the club had, and what was taken...

It is good to see that you are going to use your expertise to help the club, and maybe even help them save some much needed money!
Carey, I submit I believe you read over the article a little too fast and also misread my reply. To the point you felt compelled to make a veiled accusatory reply.

The article DID say the theives got the main + boom for the Prindle though and thats a big hit.

No idea quantity they have Carey. My "numbers" = I was going by 400.00 for ( "sliced up" ) mainsheet. If they meant the blocks, then 400.00 is closer to real but you can't slice up the blocks.

So not numbers *of*, numbers replacement cost. My prior sentence clearly defines this with words as such..

Further, I was thinking to myself how we used to store our sails and if they were stolen, we would have lost more than just the sails. Apologies if this connoted to you me knowing quantity.

The hundred hours on the Prindle struck me as insane amount of time and biased my thinking. I guess they are just learning.

If theives got the blocks + shackles this stuff may show up on Craigs list or Ebay.

Also there is a market overseas for sails which are EZ to ship.

aloha,
pog
Pog, not accusatory, just glad you are willing to help & that you knew more on the equipment than the article in the paper disclosed...

I was struck by the fact that the last incident happened during a race, in broad daylight... that really takes some gall...and glad that whatever was happening may have been stopped short...but still - to lose the whole cat fleet jibs plus the Prindle use is a huge dent in their club...one that has been really trying to maintain low costs (I am not even positive if they have equipment insurance, as the article did not mention it...also surprised they are not a not-for profit, or attached to one....)