Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What does"unpermitted" mean for a home buyer?
UMMM.... "Downtown"? .... like in HILO? where there is a house that was raised on stacks of skids for a few years & now is on a a few log tower like arrangements.... or the house slowly creeping northward in termite collapse? or the houses with tarp roofs for years?

These are all on very traveled roads, really close to the building dept. offices...so I kinda doubt any thing would be done unless a neighbor/tenant/finance co. complains about it...
We just closed on a house with outstanding permits. Took about 2 extra months to get them finalled. Although the additions were nice and well built, they needed a few items to get up to code. As my husband is a builder we weren't too concerned. I have bought property in other states where the square footage/rooms did not agree with county but it did not stop a loan from going through- just what are the comps... Not so Hawaii. The appraiser checks to make sure all building is permitted. Though perhaps this is a post-2009 thing....
quote:
Originally posted by eigoya... I have bought property in other states where the square footage/rooms did not agree with county but it did not stop a loan from going through- just what are the comps... Not so Hawaii. The appraiser checks to make sure all building is permitted. Though perhaps this is a post-2009 thing....

Certain types of loans do require all to be permitted and finaled. Some dont.