Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fukushima
read the post again - I posted a study that Fox viewers are less informed than folks who watched no news at at ..... I didnt know you were a viewer until your last post

present company excepted - feel better?

back at ya tommorow

For the umpteenth time on this forum - depleted uranium is not radioactive. Well, it is a little radioactive, but then so is everything.
Did you know that bananas are more radioactive than depleted uranium? Well, it's true. Look it up.

So, once again: great story, too bad about the facts.

Bullwinkle, you watch more Fox News than I do, I can assure you of that.
yup its been covered: from the EPA:

The EPA explains:

The human body is born with potassium-40 [the type of radiation found in bananas] in its tissues and it is the most common radionuclide in human tissues and in food. We evolved in the presence of potassium-40 and our bodies have well-developed repair mechanisms to respond to its effects. The concentration of potassium-40 in the human body is constant and not affected by concentrations in the environment."
quote:
Originally posted by PaulW

bananas are more radioactive than depleted uranium? Well, it's true. Look it up.

Apples & Oranges?
The absorbed radiation dose depends on the type and energy of the emitted particles, as well as on the location of the source in the body (external, inhaled, ingested, etc.), and the biological half-life of the compounds ingested.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
drifting off topic: Bullwinkle, you watch more Fox News than I do, I can assure you of that....

I MY OPINION: The take away is the ignorance of the american voting public - even the best informed were averaging about 47%

A low "f" unless we are grading on the curve - grin
Bananas, despite being radioactive, aren't dangerous. Because they don't emit much radiation. It's all about the numbers.

I can't convince anyone of anything. Be fearful of tiny amounts (or, in the case of Fukushima in Hawaii: zero amounts) of radiation if you want, or you can read the rest of what the EPA wrote:

http://www.epa.gov/radtown/basic.html

Over and out.
Back to Bananas - can we agree this is fact and move on? thx.

yup its been covered: from the EPA:

The EPA explains:

The human body is born with potassium-40 [the type of radiation found in bananas] in its tissues and it is the most common radionuclide in human tissues and in food. We evolved in the presence of potassium-40 and our bodies have well-developed repair mechanisms to respond to its effects. The concentration of potassium-40 in the human body is constant and not affected by concentrations in the environment."
quote:
Originally posted by Bullwinkle

Back to Bananas - can we agree this is fact and move on?
FACT: Bananas, while radioactive, are not dangerous to human tissue. -Dwight Schrute, The Office (if he were posting)
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
As a point of information: the elevated incidence of lung cancer in uranium miners is generally attributed to inhalation of radon daughter products that were in high(er) concentrations in the uranium mines than they are in ambient air. The exposure to radiation from the uranium is, at worst, a minor contributor. It is also of note that smoking (combined with radon exposure) is considered a far worse cancer initiator.
EPA on Radon --- concrete a large source as well - it was trendy to check concrete residential structures a while back - all exposures do add up 'cepting Bananas - grin

http://www.epa.gov/radon/

radon factsheet: http://www.radon.com/radon/radon_facts.html

"PRODUCTION: Radon is not produced as a commercial product. Radon is a naturally occurring radioactive gas and comes from the natural breakdown (radioactive decay) of uranium. It is usually found in igneous rock and soil, but in some cases, well water may also be a source of radon."

much more dense than air - settles in low spots like......... short leap to how much radon in PGV emissions - any studies or insight? - thx