Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
hawaiihealthconnector.com
Because what we are confident about is that when people look and see that they can get high-quality, affordable health care for less than their cell phone bill, they’re going to sign up. President Barack Obama

So my monthly cellphone bill is about 45 a month all you can use plan. Where is my high quality Kiaser plan for 35 a month?
Try cancer on for size without insurance. Before the affordable care act, we paid almost $700 a month as self insured business owners, $5000 deductible each with an annual cap on what they would pay out. Economy takes a crap, business plummets and insurance has to go, then cancer knocks on our door. Not an easy cancer, I might add. This one has a 15% survival rate at 5 years. One year has gone by, it has destroyed an all ready dwindling nest egg and without Obamacare, no insurance company would touch my pre-existing with a ten foot pole. After a surgery, 11 months of chemo, a dramatic lifestyle change and the Affordable Care and Patient Protection now guarantee me insurance come January. I have gone on the exchange and it looks like about $234.00 a month for the two of us, pre-existing included so I will be able to continue treatment and hopefully be one of the 5 year survivors. Stop slamming it. You may not want it, but there are many who do. We pretty much all despise corporate insurance companies, but right now, the alternative could be even worse!

Mahalo for letting me rant.
a m here
I'm all for ACA. I just hope it helps people that truly can't afford it. A lot of poor people without jobs can't afford 100-300 a month health coverage. I'm happy that you can tho.

I was hoping ACA was going to subsidize 80-90% of insurance costs for the people that are out of work and can't get health care.

How did you get 234 a month for two people? I have to pay almost that much for just myself, plus 30% of all medical costs. I would end up spending three or four times what I spend on my healthcare now negotiating a cash price. Then again I am young so I am not as worried about cancer and I am worried about paying my student loans and credit cards. All my young underemployed and uninsured friends are finding the costs unworkable. Seems like they define poverty at like 9000 dollars or something crazy like that. I would appreciate hearing from more people there actual numbers, plug them into the calculator, its easy.
Insurance is most definitely not a scam. Insurance is an expense for people that have assets to protect OR for people that want to have assets in the future.

People who are insured collectively pool their money together to assist those with misfortune (health, theft, accident). It is actually a pretty decent system compared to the alternative.
---
Hawai'i signed up for the Medicaid expansion under ACA. If your income is truly low and your savings are very low you could qualify for Quest, our version of Medicaid.
quote:
Originally posted by rainyjim

Insurance is a scam, if it wasn't they wouldn't be making it mandatory. Manage your money wisely and don't live in fear. Insurance is an unconcious addmitance of living in fear - most often fear of something that will never happen.

I wish I could convince people X calamity would befall them if they don't pay me Y amount of dollars. What a scam.

You've obviously never received a stack of mail consisting mostly of medical bills, the first one opened being a payment demand of over $108,000.00. I have. Fortunately, the insurance company paid it.

My mother-in-law's chemotherapy was $13,000.00 per dose. I'm not saying that there is anything right about medical care in the United States. I only know that insurance is the only reason we didn't go bankrupt.
quote:
Originally posted by rainyjim

Insurance is a scam, if it wasn't they wouldn't be making it mandatory. Manage your money wisely and don't live in fear. Insurance is an unconcious addmitance of living in fear - most often fear of something that will never happen.

I wish I could convince people X calamity would befall them if they don't pay me Y amount of dollars. What a scam.

Health insurance is assurance.

Thank god my Big Island born, Waldorf-educated, mindful, penny pinching, lifelong vegetarian, health-NUT best friend was able to get it about a year before she discovered a fatal brain tumor. State-funded health care has now ended here, but hopefully the ACA will pick up the pieces for us solidly entrenched in the "poor" bracket.
I can't imagine what my dear friend's family would be financially responsible for now, after her death, if her bills hadn't been over 90% covered. Hundreds of thousands of dollars to try to save their daughter's life through an operation, alternative therapies, and limited but needed radiation.

Until your life has been struck by a random genetic fluke that you could not have prevented, or something crazy like rat-lung-worm from your garden bed, cast not the first stone, rainyjim, mmkay?
quote:
Originally posted by lattelady49

Try cancer on for size without insurance. Before the affordable care act, we paid almost $700 a month as self insured business owners, $5000 deductible each with an annual cap on what they would pay out. Economy takes a crap, business plummets and insurance has to go, then cancer knocks on our door. Not an easy cancer, I might add. This one has a 15% survival rate at 5 years. One year has gone by, it has destroyed an all ready dwindling nest egg and without Obamacare, no insurance company would touch my pre-existing with a ten foot pole. After a surgery, 11 months of chemo, a dramatic lifestyle change and the Affordable Care and Patient Protection now guarantee me insurance come January. I have gone on the exchange and it looks like about $234.00 a month for the two of us, pre-existing included so I will be able to continue treatment and hopefully be one of the 5 year survivors. Stop slamming it. You may not want it, but there are many who do. We pretty much all despise corporate insurance companies, but right now, the alternative could be even worse!

Mahalo for letting me rant.

Sending out healing vibes, Lattelady. Cancer is such a black hole of emotion and stress. I am so glad you were able to get coverage, good timing! The ACA will surely help many of us. Here's to hoping Hawaii can help heal you.
Funny how it's "thank goodness we had insurance" instead of "why is the medication $13K/dose?"

Does anyone have any idea where that $13K actually goes?

Am I the only one who sees a problem with this?

The "individual mandate" is supposed to "dilute the risk pool" such that "everyone" will be able to "afford" the insurance premiums. It will be a year or three before we know how that worked out, but ... considering that the HHC somehow couldn't meet a 10/1/2013 deadline despite being established in 2011, I'm not very optimistic about the rest of ACA.