Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
hawaiihealthconnector.com
quote:
Originally posted by rainyjim

So let me get this straight, because you got sick at one point I can't have my own opinion or voice it? I hope you aren't a bunch of hypocrites when your own first ammendment rights are violated.

FYI, none of you know any of my personal life so kudos on your assumption making abilities or lack there of.

Guess what.. your issue is the cost of healthcare. Not me hating insurance. Get your **** straight.

Typical response for you!

The core problem is that when you DO get sick, have that heart attack, car accident or manage to shoot yourself in the foot, as it is today, I pay for your "right" to be an idiot!

Rainyjim,

When asking you to "not cast the first stone", I most definitely wasn't trying to shut you up. I DID, however, detect more than a little self-righteousness from your original post (as well as others), thus, my assumption that you had probably never been through a life-changing debt hole of illness or injury. I drew a parallel with my friend, because I suspect she/her family had/has many parallels with your lifestyle - eat well and exercise, as you've said, obviously goes only so far when the proverbial sh*t hits the fan, even when you are a raw/vegan Punatic.

Despite being eternally outraged by the high cost of care in this country and stories of people being turned away at the ER, I would still like to have health insurance. I felt pretty defensive (my problem, not yours) when you said getting insurance is being afraid. It's not fear that guides me, it's knowing I will need care for some of the things I'd like to do in the future (have a baby, see my naturopath regularly, get my possibly-cancerous moles checked out). When you are a poor grad student living in a converted garage, eating oats and beans, there's only so much money to be managed wisely, as you also advised in your original post.
Can we get back on the topic of health insurance in Hawaii? Has anyone else calculated their premiums? I want insurance, I just cant afford it. I will be held liable for my debts when I go to the hospital, just like I have been when I went to University. It seems to me that given I would have to pay 30% of the bills, a premium of 10% of my income is steep. I do not qualify as poverty even though I am quiet poor, I only spend money on essentials and requirements(debt) I would get the insurance if my healthcare was not so cheap now, I got my teeth cleaned, medicine prescribed and a surgery on my face for less then $1000 last year, I have spent none this year. I literally cannot afford this mandatory insurance based on the calculator. Have other people run their numbers through the calculator, what numbers did you get? Since when has insurance only covered 70% of costs? I thought it was supposed to be a $10 copay and maybe a $500 deductible. Mind you these aren't going to be the cash costs I can negotiate on my own, these are going to be the full kaboodle insurance markup which means the 30% will probably cost 100% of the cash negotiated prices I am getting now.

What is the patriotic thing to do when the only option which you have to take is one you can't afford? I have been living poor now for the past 4-5 years and I don't mind, I don't need tv, I don't need to go out to eat or the movies and I could care less what my clothes look like, but at some point you get pushed up against a wall. I guess I will need to dissolve my IRA at a 10%+ tax rate work less so I can get on the dole. I am not seeing many ways out of this.

Has anyone else actually run the calculator and figured out their costs?
There is probably a logical limit to the sacrifice patriotism requires of us when that sacrifice consists of filling the coffers of private insurance companies, even when this may result in greater access to healthcare for more Americans. I see your point. If Chinese soldiers pull up at Isaac Hale, a greater sacrifice may be required. Still, the less your income, the greater your subsidy. And, if you can’t find a plan that costs less than 8 percent of your income, then you’re exempt from the requirement to purchase health insurance. A 30 year old nonsmoking guy making $25,000 per year would pay a little over a $100 per month according to the Kaiser Foundation calculator. which would be about 4-5% of income.

I've done the calculations. I wasn't able to use the not-ready-for-primetime Hawaii Health Connector. I called HMSA and I went to the website for Kaiser Hawaii. I am not eligible for a subsidy (that's the good news and the bad news). Presently I have HMSA with no prescription coverage. My HMSA rate will go up signficantly (by hundreds), probably because of the mandatory addition of a prescription drug coverage. A primo Kaiser plan comes in at about $50 more than I pay at present with HMSA, but it includes a prescription drug benefit.

Hello crowded waiting rooms full of sick people, girl doctors (oh, for god's sakes just examine me) and Honolulu (can't wait to see you again --- please don't stare at my scar).
" I DID, however, detect more than a little self-righteousness from your original post"

Cheerio, Yes, while I strive to be explicit I seem to come off rather confrontational at times. All I feel like i'm doing is offering my (often alternative) opinion, but sometimes people seem to get the wrong impression and/or take personal affront. It's something i'm working on (internet communication skills) and having a bunch of critiques on punaweb is probably just what I need even if it flares my temper sometimes.

Andrew, No, I haven't actually checked what rates I could be getting with ACA because I already have existing coverage. I do plan to check once the hubbub with the federal shutdown quiets down and some of the websites creases and crinkles are ironed out.

Yes you heard me right- I have insurance -though my acquiescence isn't exactly the silent type.
http://westhawaiitoday.com/sections/news...state.html

Even the state is trying to work out the kinks, and thinks the majority of people will wait until December to sign up. The article also states the open enrollment for the Affordable Care Act will last until March 2014.

I am still confused, but this website did help answer some questions I had.

LegalConsumer.com/ ObamaCare Info For Hawaii (http://www.legalconsumer.com/obamacare/?ST=HI)
quote:
Originally posted by afwjam

Has anyone else actually run the calculator and figured out their costs?

You are basing your calculation on the flawed assumption that your current to date medical expenses will remain the same in the future.

All insurance is based on the assumption of having it when needed.

When you consider that aspect, a dog, a home security system, even a gun can be considered a form of insurance. You only need it when you need it. But it costs something to have.

To date, you have never needed it. A simple appendix removal, assuming no complications and not done under an emergency situation can cost up to 15K. Under emergency situations, it may run 150K.

At that point, there really is no time to negotiate. The same with car insurance. What if the "other guy" has no insurance and runs a red light, hitting you? Homeowners insurance. What if the tree falls and collapses your house?

You can't but it after the calamity happens!

If you develop a brand new vacuum cleaner or a treatment for cancer, these great United States, allow you to charge whatever the market will bear. Granted, you may or may not feel it's fair. Did we pay 13k for my Mothers cancer treatment? Happily. It gave her a few months of life extra.

Did we get a bill for 108k for a simple flight from Juneau Alaska to Seattle WA and our insurance paid it? You bet they did, however we would have worked something out if they hadn't. My family's life is so much more important than the all mighty dollar or government.

Dayna

http://www.FarmingAloha.com
www.E-Z-Caps.com
Dayna Robertson
At Home Hawaii
Real Estate Sales and Property Management
RS-85517
Dayna.JustListedInHawaii.com
Dayna.Robertson@gmail.com
Under the ACA plan, we are basically paying as we go for health care. The overwhelming odds are that we will need it during our lives. We are irate when the ER turns away the uninsured. If all had insurance, no problem. By saying you are opting out of the program, you are asking everyone else to pay for you when you get sick. Health care is expensive. That's another problem for now. Further, in countries that provide health care it certainly isn;t free. Ask a Canadian what they pay in real estate taxes. But with everyone in the program and government oversight of overcharging and gouging, the system works.
The Libertarians seem to forget that we are a community and as such have responsibilities to each other.
Didn't say we could afford it, just that it was that much less and we can get it. We, too, are poor and out of work right now. I had to take early retirement to have an income coming in. We'll figure it out, and for me, medicare is only 9 more months away...it will help.

ACA is not medicaid, but your state's medicaid should help. We'll see.

My point was that without it, if you had preexisting like me, kiss insurance goodbye and die. Not an alternative I'd prefer with 17 beautiful grandchildren to enjoy.

quote:
Originally posted by ericlp

I'm all for ACA. I just hope it helps people that truly can't afford it. A lot of poor people without jobs can't afford 100-300 a month health coverage. I'm happy that you can tho.

I was hoping ACA was going to subsidize 80-90% of insurance costs for the people that are out of work and can't get health care.

a m here
a m here