Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
hawaiihealthconnector.com
The devil will be in the deductible and the co-pays. Here are some examples:

Hawaii Radiological base rate charges individuals three times as much to an individual as they charge Kaiser for the same mammography. Your co-pay is based on the walk-in rate, Kaisers share is based on the negotiated rate at 33% of the base rate . On a $1,000. bill your 30% copay is $300. Kaisers share on the "adjusted rate is $33.00.
Under ACA the mammography screening is free, however I have had several people tell me their initial screening was "inconclusive" so they were not only terrorized, but sent back for a "diagnostic" X ray which is not covered at a cost of $1200 (or $396 if you are Kaiser). In both cases the second X ray was negative.
As my agent Kaiser or HMSA should be getting me the same deal they negotiate for themselves, otherwise it has the appearance of conclusion for price fixing.
Clinical labs charges half price if you pay at the counter,(you have to know to ask) if you have insurance they or the insurance company bill you for your share. That means with a 50% copay you pay the whole thing.
Because of the American "sue-age system" doctors send you for all kinds of tests you may not need just to protect themselves from the ambulance chasers. So the testing monopolies do real well in an apparent conspiracy with the insurance companies. Does anyone know if they are regulated at all?
I am interested in other peoples experiences in similar situations.
My biggest issue is the copay of 30% of the no doubt marked up costs, which is probably the same that I negotiate now with cash.

Last time I went to the hospital I got a bill for $2300 that I had to pay over the next year, I don't remember the bill going to anyone else , or anyone else helping to pay it.
If I ever have major surgery I will fly to Mexico where it can be done for a tenth the cost.
Most everyone I know of 'advanced-years' whether they live on the mainland or Hawaii chooses to 'go to mexico' for their healthcare issues which you could consider 'not routine'. This, of course, is probably not possible in case of emergency. Luckily I have no major health issues. So, I'd applaud your decision and consider you well informed.
You can save a lot of money in Asia and Mexico with elective surgery, but for major surgery you'd have the problem of travel insurance.
Would have been nice to get single payer med coverage and cut the insurance middle man out!! But the Obama administration knew they couldn't have got it through at this time.
Has anyone been able to get signed up yet for Obama Care?

Jon in Keaau/HPP
Jon in Keaau/HPP
Google "insurance company death spiral".

That's what's going to happen to "Obamacare". Only way to deal with that is to create a single payer system a'la Medicare.

Things are going to get a lot more interesting in about five years. Enjoy your low taxes while you can.
Puna: Our roosters crow first
Why don't we try to stick to the subject of hawaiihealthconnector.com?

Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
re: "The devil will be in the deductible and the co-pays. Here are some examples:"

One more interesting discount. Hawaii Radiological gives a 55% discount if you pay at the desk, so if you are billed through your insurance company your co pay more than doubles. On a $1000. charge @ 30% with insurance co pay = $300 The cost with out insurance' taking the discount will cost @ 55% = $450. If the co pay was figured on general public discounted rate it would be $135 vs $300.

Getting back to the topic, it is not presently possible to compare rates on the Hawaii Health Connector. They failed miserably at the simple task of posting rates for the only two insurers participating: HMSA and Kaiser. They claim the rates were not available, but if you call HMSA or if you call Kaiser or go to their website, they will give you a quote. My preliminary look at this suggests that Kaiser intends to be competitive and that HMSA lacks that orientation. And so, you cannot at present compare rates on the connector. The connector is disconnected, to coin a phrase.

I find it galling that the CEO of this enterprise said "October is for learning....and we don't think people want to sign up right away anyway" ---as if this were an intended result.

Anyway, a form of health insurance should be more accessible to most very soon but it is deeply disappointing that they didn't make it easier in Hawaii and decided to ignore the legislative mandate to be up and running by October 1st.
Awww, c'mon, the HHC guys only had two years to build their website, and that whole internet thing is really hard. Besides, nobody wants healthcare anyway: America already voted the Tea Party into power to solve this "problem"...