Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
last night and todays rain
We are on 23rd and near Kaloli. Last night, we dumped out our large wheel barrow. We leave it in the yard to collect rain water for watering some plants away from the house. I measured how much water had collected from about 6:00 last night till about 1:00 this afternoon, and got nine inches in depth.

Jon in Keaau/HPP
Jon in Keaau/HPP
My rain gauge was emptied yesterday and had 2 inches in it by 8 this morning. It is at 16th/Maku'u on the Pahoa side.

Carol
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
quote:
Originally posted by birdmove

We are on 23rd and near Kaloli. Last night, we dumped out our large wheel barrow. We leave it in the yard to collect rain water for watering some plants away from the house. I measured how much water had collected from about 6:00 last night till about 1:00 this afternoon, and got nine inches in depth.

The sides of wheelbarrows are sloped, and the top is much larger than the bottom, so the depth measurement on rain collection is automatically distorted. It's fun to notice, but pretty meaningless.

Rain gauges need to be straight-sided to read accurately.

The trapezoidal cross-section means that rain depth is underreported, which makes 9" all the more impressive.
We got 3.96 inches yesterday and another 3.63 since midnight according to our weather station.

ETA: our station reports midnight to midnight.
David

Ninole Resident
Please visit vacation.ninolehawaii.com
Ninole Resident
if you use a 5 gallon bucket ie orange ones from Home Depot, it will be far more accurate

this little rain storm was only a fraction of the most we've had in 24 hours... 36" in Nov2000
the video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LaHOZXWRo8

save our indigenous and endemic Hawaiian Plants... learn about them, grow them, and plant them on your property, ....instead of all that invasive non-native garbage I see in most yards... aloha
save our indigenous and endemic Hawaiian Plants... learn about them, grow them, and plant them on your property, ....instead of all that invasive non-native garbage I see in most yards... aloha