Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Macy's closes 5 stores
None in Hawaii.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/busi...s/4375217/
This brings up an interesting observation when I was out there a couple months ago and stopped at the mall in Hilo. It has been a long time since I seen a mall with so many people and stores in it. It was almost like stepping back in time to 1985.

Mall's all across the mainland are going bust, just search youtube for abandoned mall's and you will get a general idea. Seems this is not the case in Hawaii. It was quite refreshing to see so much activity going on.
I heard sears closing sometime this year?

If sear and macys closed the mall would be dead. That would be three big stores gone... The only one left would be sports authority.

Any news who might occupy the seas space when/if they close?
@Eric

The idea that PKP would lose both its long time anchor tenants is just that - a far fetched idea.
If folks read the article on Macy's (or the many other news reports on the recent closings) they would have learned that only 5 stores nationwide are closing. Given the total # of Macy's nationwide, this is an extremely low amount. What's more Macy's parent company is opening a Bloomingdale's at Ala Moana next year.

There's a reason why the Hilo Macy's is larger than Kona and Waikoloa. It's called demographics. Macy's is realigning, but overall the company is healthy.

Sears, on the other hand, is on life support. Just like JC Penny, Kmart, and others.