Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fukushima
quote:
Originally posted by Bullwinkle

says who? any oceanographer worth their salt would likely work somewhere warm ...

As far as I am concerned, with this absolutely meaningless potshot, you've finally destroyed the last hint of credibility you had left.

https://www.sfos.uaf.edu/directory/faculty/martini/

http://www.zoominfo.com/p/Kim-Martini/1851566443

4 year old phd - no educational / specialty background in nuclear radiation and its effects on the ocean

still wet behind the ears

she is no Robert Ballard imho

Ballard doesn't have the qualifications you wish for either. What is your point? In fact he seems even less qualified than Martini or McClain when it comes to radiation from Fukushima affecting Hawaii or the US mainland. This is real straw-clutching stuff from you, Bullwinkle, more than usual.

And the stuff about oceanographers worth their salt working only somewhere warm, well, have to agree with OpenD, that is one of the most ridiculous things I've seen posted here.
these guys can't even cover this up anymore! yet the cnn and fox no report it?!
"On January 15 the government approved TEPCO’s plan to restart four reactors at the Kashiwazaki-Kariwa nuclear power plant, the biggest nuclear power plant in the world. The utility aims to resume operations at the plant's No. 6 and 7 reactors as early as July.

The plan was met with criticism from the administration of the Niigata Prefecture, where the plant is located. The local governor has repeatedly called for the company’s liquidation.

TEPCO argued that the company may have to raise electricity prices by as much as 10 percent if Kashiwazaki restart is further delayed."

being that we are an island that pays the highest rates in the world....puts that 10% rise in perspective - and the risk to Hawaii's waters - even if insignificant - in focus.

How much does the cost of electricity add to that 'yoda or honda

its always about money......http://rt.com/news/japan-fukushima-radiation-high-831/
http://www.forbes.com/sites/jeffmcmahon/...uidelines/

PEER advocacy director Kirsten Stade said in a press release. “This would, in effect, increase a longstanding 1 in 10,000 person cancer rate to a rate of 1 in 23 persons exposed over a 30-year period

For example, the new EPA guide refers to International Atomic Energy Agency guidelines that suggest intervention is not necessary until drinking water is contaminated with radioactive iodine 131 at a concentration of 81,000 picocuries per liter. This is 27,000 times less stringent than the EPA rule of 3 picocuries per liter.

Bullwinkle - let me get this straight. After all your arguments against the credibility of fully-qualified scientists and where they might choose to live given their chosen careers, is it now your position that cars built by Japanese companies will be more expensive for us in Hawaii? Is this the effect that Fukushima has on the islands?
ignorance being bliss when it comes to capitalism and risk reward calculations - grin

bottom lime Japan is going to restart its reactors instead of raising electricity prices 10%

Never mind the dream and sales pitch of cheap safe nuclear energy is becoming a nightmare for those adjacent to "their" ocean as they continue to dump - going on year 4 of an expected 40........

read up on GE mark one reactor design if you want the scoop ......
What's the problem with Japan restarting their reactors? They're not talking about the one at Fukushima.
They work perfectly well when they haven't been hit by a massive earthquake and tsunami at the same time.

Do you have a geiger counter here in Hawaii?
If yes, what is it saying?
If no, why not? "Ignorance is bliss"?
Bullwinkle,

"Never mind the dream and sales pitch of cheap safe nuclear energy is becoming a nightmare for those adjacent to "their" ocean as they continue to dump - going on year 4 of an expected 40........"

Just so you understand where I'm coming from - I'm not a big fan of energy derived from nuclear fission, it's great technology but comes with some risk, although when designed well and done the right way that risk is enormously small. The Fukushima disaster is just that, a massive disaster not helped by a clearly unhelpful and uncommunicative energy company, and you couldn't pay me enough money to visit the area or eat seafood that comes from there.

The effects of radiation released into the ocean are utterly minute when it comes to Hawaii or the US mainland though. You'll likely get a bigger dose sitting in front of a TV, at least one of the old-style ones, for a few minutes. I just found it amusing, however, that you finally seemed to be accepting the radiation problem was likely insignificant here but had to find some other thing that could affect Hawaii, which was car prices.

That, my friend, is something I know little about, so will leave it there!