Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
When, not If lava crosses 130...
quote:
Originally posted by Wao nahele kane....
My question is not posed to the general public and what individuals will do as many have already come up with plans. My question is posed as a County/State level issue....

..So do we as a district allow the County/State to kick back and pull a New Orleans or do we call them to the mat on the issues now?

Yes, I get your question now. I actually have no idea what "the county/state plan" is. I do know about the shelters in case of a disaster but as for restoring services and access, I have absolutely no idea. a quick search on the internet revealed nothing other than the shelter locations, and who would do the notifying if a disaster was approaching.

I would agree that we maybe heading towards a "new Orleans" situation. I think that is why it is important to have our own plans and neighborhood plans if you neighbors can act as a unit for this type of planning.

Maybe someone in the know could post links to any disaster recovery plan the county has in place?
best place to start is your local ham radio group or the guys with the big antennas - they will be the com up /down link as well as the only phone "patch" in the first few days to let folks know we are ok.

my experience has been the guy with the radio a key link to the rescue or supply chain.
I know this is sacrilege but in my book building on an active volcano means you accept the possibility of your property being inundated. In response to the question "What is the county doing about the risk?" they might say "OK, you're right. There is a danger. No more building in Puna." The clamor would be loud and instantaneous that if people want to live there then government should not stop them. As for houses already built, see above. People would have said that 50 years ago too.

Helicopters and boats are fine for immediate evacuation but nobody is going to shell out any cash to ferry punatics back and forth to their now isolated puna shacks. As far as immediate evacuation goes, Kilauea has not had those kinds of explosive eruptions in modern memory. It it does then by all means call out the National Guard, but what seems much more likely is the Puna equivalent of some medicaid patient's calling an ambulance because it is cheaper than a taxi because they really did not face reality. How many decades now has Kilauea been forcing people to relocate?

Course I'm safe here in Eden Roc, right?
quote:
I actually have no idea what "the county/state plan" is.

County invites all manner of liability without any plan for the inevitable -- one could argue that no building permits should be issued where the lava might someday flow.

I think the overall program is "take people's money, hope for Federal bailout".
quote:
Originally posted by MarkP

I know this is sacrilege but in my book building on an active volcano means you accept the possibility of your property being inundated. In response to the question "What is the county doing about the risk?" they might say "OK, you're right. There is a danger. No more building in Puna." The clamor would be loud and instantaneous that if people want to live there then government should not stop them. As for houses already built, see above. People would have said that 50 years ago too.

Helicopters and boats are fine for immediate evacuation but nobody is going to shell out any cash to ferry punatics back and forth to their now isolated puna shacks. As far as immediate evacuation goes, Kilauea has not had those kinds of explosive eruptions in modern memory. It it does then by all means call out the National Guard, but what seems much more likely is the Puna equivalent of some medicaid patient's calling an ambulance because it is cheaper than a taxi because they really did not face reality. How many decades now has Kilauea been forcing people to relocate?

Course I'm safe here in Eden Roc, right?

The problem with that assessment is as follows. The County requires a new home to have a "safe room" installed as well as the structure to meet particular seismic requirements... correct? They do this as a safety precaution. So using the same reasoning they apply with regard to building codes - the door swings both ways, then too should the County err on the side of caution and be prepared for lava crossing the highway creating alternative routes before it occurs, not unlike having tsunami safety warning signals etc.

What you cited is extremism and in doing so we could likewise call every surface on the planet a potential threat and a no build zone (doesn't really make any sense does it?). Within reason, safety isn't so much about where you build your city, it's how you build your city that counts.

If the County/State can impose giant expectations upon building practices they should likewise impose it upon the very infrastructure they are responsible for.

- Armed citizens provide security of a free State.
quote:
The County requires a new home to have a "safe room" installed ... as a safety precaution.

Do not mistake a "job security regulation" for a "health and safety regulation".

There are far more dangerous places to build around this nation where it's not just homes that are lost but also lives, it happens every year. I recall reading that Hawaii ranked as among the safest States to live in the United States when it comes to potential natural disasters. So living within or near a possible lava inundation area isn't the problem, it's how the potential problems are dealt with before they occur.

The number one priority of any governing body should be infrastructure (the general welfare). Everything else hinges upon that. Poor infrastructure investment leads to a poor general welfare.

I think it's time to put together an organization here in Puna that deals with personal safety planning in the event of natural disaster and one that leans on the County/State to chip in and get a safer infrastructure in place over here.

quote:
The number one priority of any governing body should be infrastructure (the general welfare).

Do not confuse "infrastructure for the benefit of the general public" with "long-term employment/pensions for our buddies".

Look no further than your nearest highway project as an example.
quote:
Originally posted by kalakoa

quote:
The County requires a new home to have a "safe room" installed ... as a safety precaution.

Do not mistake a "job security regulation" for a "health and safety regulation".

Okay... job security for the road crews to punch the Beach road back into Hilo and job security to add a couple ferry landing locations with large enough break water jetties to calm the waters at the landings. That area out by the dead/abandon aerial beacon (light house) at Kapoho would be a great place to punch in a bay and ferry terminal along with a boat launch and water park while their at it ;p Some D-9 work and some concrete work for a ferry terminal and boat ramps... simple. In doing so, they'll create a new reef habitat too for safe snorkeling/swimming, added bonus.

7Tm there have been county meetings on a similar flow in the past, and those of us that have gone to these planning meeting are aware that the county has...tentative... plans
for some of the threads of the past flow that was just a tad east of the current flow:
http://punaweb.org/Forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3395
http://punaweb.org/Forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3897

Enjoy the trip down lava flow memory lane...