Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Television Series - "Flipping Hawaii"
What do y'all think about this?

I have mixed feelings. Will be curious to see what all of you think. Puna would be attractive for these kinds of shows which might work for us... or against us. Thoughts?

(*Snipped - More at link)

http://www.bizjournals.com/pacific/blog/...ml?ana=fbk

A Colorado-based television production company is currently casting for real estate agents, general contractors, builders and property investors, who are buying, remodeling, rehabbing and flipping homes in Hawaii as part of new TV series called “Flipping Hawaii.”

Chris Turner, a casting producer for Orion Entertainment, said that each episode will feature craftsmen and women who have a knack for seeing a diamond in the rough in rundown properties.

The cameras will follow individuals or team members in the complete process of buying the property to renovation and rehab, and finally, the sale of these turnaround homes, he said.

“We’re looking to lock down our casting toward the end of the month,” Turner told PBN. “They don’t have to be on Oahu, as it would be real cool to showcase something on Kauai, Maui or the Big Island.”

Turner, who has lived in Hawaii, says that they have received interest from network and cable TV stations regarding their idea.

“Everyone wants to watch fun places like Hawaii,” he said referring to one of the reasons his company picked the state to do filming.

Orion Entertainment, which has contributed to a variety of TV networks, including The History Channel, CNN, ESPN, Spike and TNN, also chose Alaska to do a similar series.

“You've got the major extremes in Alaska and Hawaii,” Turner said. “Both of these states are very intriguing to people.”
Somehow I doubt they will be filming in Puna.
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
As a rule - tv productions thrive on hype

Some of us moved here to get away from hype

Its all about whats best for the producers wallet - not the folks or areas they exploit

Am I biased - yes

How did I get there - by hosting production companies.... waste of time
Here's another recent home buying program that was on HGTV about a couple wanting to buy on the Big Island, including a property on the lava flow in Kalapana:
http://www.hgtv.com/hawaii-life/big-move...index.html

"The Schartz's are working with Hawaii Life agent Adam Veloria to help them find a home so that they can transition from dark days and cold winters to a lifetime of beach living on the Big Island."
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
I know one thing for sure from my experience in movie,tv business.so called reality tv is anything but real. When/if this show is produced and is or isn't picked up you may watch it and say no way and you most likely will be right.
Saw an episode of "Buying Hawaii" where a couple from Oregon bought down on Pohoiki Road. Great episode - nice buyers, but plenty of stock footage shots of the Na Pali coastline!! LOL.
We have watched many, if not all of the buying Alaska and Hawaii shows. The most disturbing parts of the buying Hawaii shows are the false views, back yards,and prices. Also we feel this is only going to raise most Puna property value, good for us? not for our Keiki?. The realtor Desiree on this show does a pretty good job and is now trying to sell our neighbors house, so maybe we will watch this show a few weeks from now too?. I have a close friend who is a real estate appraiser, He claims the prices of the homes are higher on the show than reality in some cases. The show also shows hot steaming lava TUBES in some of these back yards(false advertising). Good for T.V, and current home owners property value. Harder for our local young generations to buy or own. Alaska and Hawaii are indeed both wild and raw with lots of made for T.V suspense and adventure though. I have not seen Geothermal or any of the G.M.O farms on these shows, so they have yet to show the greater half of PUNA when selling it.
Higher property values should help your keiki. You will be better able to afford an education for them, which in turn will allow them to afford a home where they choose to live.
I quit watching TV years ago...

"Life is labor, and all that is good in life comes from that labor..."
quote:
Originally posted by Delta9r

I quit watching TV years ago...

Hooray for you - but did you have anything to actually add to the conversation or did you just want some recognition for your personal media viewing habits?