Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I am being bumped off shifts by a retiree
I have yet another part time job. I am being bumped off of shifts by a person already retired. When I asked this person "why do you want to work so much?", the answer was basically, "I am bored and don't like sitting around the house".
This post is not about hating this person, because I can find other things to do with my time- other than work- but I just find this mentality odd. I will stay "poor", and the other person will stay "rich"- and this bothers so many people- but for me it comes down to- "isn't there some kind of obligation to allow others in the prime of their lives/working years, to have a chance at working, and developing a professional persona?"
I really cannot imagine- if I were retired and bored- bumping someone off shifts who has three kids to take care of. I guess I would just "find something else to do"- possibly unpaid volunteer work.
How do you know this other person is rich? Did he say he was rich or did he say he was just bored? Just because this person is retired doesn't mean he or she has plenty of money. There are many people retired on Social Security that live below the poverty level of income.
The person owns a home 5x the sq footage of mine-if this is an indication of wealth- but I am not going to give out any more personal details than that.
Notice the quotes around "rich" and "poor" in my post. It's all relative, but at some point, you do need some money usually in the course of your life. I just figure that if I cant get enough shifts- then I'll go on EBT and possibly welfare. I am not going to stress over it... I have my health, my kids, and am usually happy.
Why shouldn't they work and what obligation do they have to you? Is it bad that they have worked hard over their life and achieved a bigger house and accumulated more wealth? Who should decide how much wealth each person should have?
quote:
if I cant get enough shifts- then I'll go on EBT and possibly welfare.

Solution to everything: more public benefits. OK, great -- where's mine?
in my experience one does not get rich working an hourly job .... it takes much more than that - a real love of ones craft a good start.

usually its years and years of less than minimum wage returns until you "make it" on your own

most of the folks I know that did well - initially went for the independence of striking out on their own

one can always rationalise benefits.... those who do well have to rationalise taxes - grin
quote:
Originally posted by unknownjulie

The person owns a home 5x the sq footage of mine
That means the person also pays 5 times the property taxes you pay, 5 times the insurance you do, and possibly 5 times the mortgage payments you make. If the house is paid for, s/he may have been making large mortgage payments in the past instead of contributing to a retirement account.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
Yep, I am "downwardly mobile". But is it by choice, luck, or am I the "new face" of a "public benefit receiver". I already liquidated all of the money I had saved up -over the course of working 20 years myself. When and if that money is gone, I'll be on the public dole... I am lucky that I am "only scrapping for shifts in my middle age"- since I already have the cheap college degrees and years of work experience. I am not just trying to start out. The young ones are doing much worse than I am...
poor folk struggle to make the honda payment, rich folk do the same for the bently - its all a matter of a decimal point - grin