Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I am being bumped off shifts by a retiree
One thing I was wondering, was the other person more "kama'aina" than you? Could be they knew or were related to the "right" people.

I'm seeing some inter-generational warfare on the horizon - it's not looking good, hope I'm wrong!
Puna: Our roosters crow first
basically people are going to agree with you or disagree with you.

for example (a) the senior retiree doesn't need the money as much as you - you shouldn't be bumped

or (b) the senior retiree has more experience than you, thus should get first priority at shifts.

having someone respond like (b) doesn't make them snarky, but it makes you defensive to say so. i seem to recall you have similar frustrations in the past. you seem to think that you are entitled to something. i would have to disagree with you - you are not really entitled to anything. the sooner you accept that, the sooner you will be happy with what you do get, and the sooner people will want to start sharing their 'wealth' with you, which is what you ultimately want, right?
That's not how the world or nature works! I'm entitled to somebody else's work and property! Do you see the animals feeding themselves? No! They are all on welfare! There is no competition in nature and living the good life is supposed to be easy! All you people lack compassion, don't care about the children and the greater good and might be racist/nazi conspiracy theorists.
quote:
Originally posted by unknownjulie

Not surprised at the pushback, and "psych 101" advice,
It's difficult to give advice to a situation with a limited amount of information available. So the people who respond look at all possible causes and affects, and offer their best suggestions.

If the job is filled on a seniority based system, you can't control that. So some of the suggestions here offered ideas on how you can control your job situation. If you talk to your supervisor and ask if there is anything you can do to improve your job performance, and then implement those changes, your supervisor will notice. It may not move you up in terms of seniority, but it will help you the next time they need to choose between two equal candidates. And you may feel more empowered to find out there are some aspects of your job you can now affect.

I have been both an employee and an employer over the years. The employees I valued the most showed up on time, did their job with little direction from me (so I could focus on my work), and I looked forward to seeing them every work day.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
tiger sharks and turtles - the rest of us muddle about in the fringes and try to stay out of harms way is the way I see it.

quote:
"isn't there some kind of obligation to allow others in the prime of their lives/working years, to have a chance at working, and developing a professional persona?"

I'm underemployed because the required licenses are effectively not available to me. Should the State be "obligated" to honor my out-of-state licensure and experience? Perhaps the "tight-knit community" of local tradespersons should be "obligated" to step aside and allow more people to work?

By that same token, the County be "obligated" to allow people a chance to work -- if the current permit-license-zoning regime were relaxed, people would create jobs.

psych 101 - so posting online about the issue better plan? - grin

manana
quote:
"isn't there some kind of obligation to allow others in the prime of their lives/working years, to have a chance at working, and developing a professional persona?"

Did you know the government will pay a guaranteed price for milk? It's part of the price support system. Dairy farmers can work, produce milk, and the government will buy all the milk they produce at a set price.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
Well, well... that Hurray for Obamacare package wouldn't have anything to do with those shift hours. Nah, couldn't even be remotely related because the job market was doing so great we had ample time and resources to mess around with healthcare legislation.
Funny thing how proper priorities have a way of enforcing their importance.

~Proud A-hole
Unknownjulie is describing a situation that is no doubt happening everywhere in the US. Our money is worth less every day. Retirees see life through this prism: what am I going to do when my money runs out?

Retirees are facing life with a fixed income in a society that threw out all of the philosophy relating to the value of stability and went for the gold.
They are dealing with rising costs just as Julie is. It is a brutal reality. There are not enough good paying jobs with stability. People are living longer.
The younger set need stable jobs as much as possible to do a good job of raising up the next generation. This is a valuable thing.

I figure that the time is rapidly coming when the Baby Boomers are going to get a lot of death with dignity philosophy coming at them. It is our place in history. We are going to be fed to the ovens in about ten years unless our society figures out the problem Julie is so reasonably describing.

Why will we the Boomers be in this fix? Because like it or not we are going to be blamed for the mess. As a matter of fact we have allowed a lot of it. The above replies are a perfect example of why those oven doors will have Welcome Boomers signs above them.