Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I am being bumped off shifts by a retiree
quote:
Originally posted by unknownjulie

Anyone here, currently "farming" 2 acres of land in puna ... don't forget to subtract my gas, while I travel to and from Hilo regularly to "tend to the farm".

Here are some of the 2 acre size farms I have seen on my drives around Puna:
Orchid Farms
Anthurium Farms
Birds of Paradise
Tropical Foliage Farms
Guava Farms
Noni Farms
Coffee Farms
Palm Farms
etc

The cost of your gas can be an expense to run your business, and is therefore a tax deduction.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
quote:
Originally posted by unknownjulie

I am doing what I can to preserve assets and not go an assistance. (vacant land is not a farm!) Strange that anyone would have a problem with that... Mainland is worse than here for us economically.
I will help all my kids build houses with in-law suites- and I will be there helping them raise their kids. I won't have a dime saved, when all is said and done. I have a great ex-husband. He is still supporting us, but he will retire soon himself- and the kids are still fairly young. There will be a number of years coming up where it will fall onto me, and if I cannot work much- then that is a problem. I will only draw SS and medicaid if I need it. Otherwise, I will just pay for things out of pocket (or my kids will pay it). I am a very personally responsible person, and it is odd to me that I get bashed on this board for doing my part to try and point our how everyone else can be responsible for our society also. Yes, I agree that the welfare/food stamp people are taking out more than they put in, but if it is because they are "getting bumped off shifts" or their jobs are being "taken by wealthier people"- then what exactly are they supposed to do? I would prefer to see them working for some kind of decent wage, and have those that "can take it easy- then take it easy".

I'm sure you are doing the best you can and I understand the frustration you must feel right now. It's too bad folks wouldn't couch their advice in a more friendly fashion. Carey's idea has some merit, however, we have to realize that most new businesses fail within the first five years. The reason is usually that they were under capitalized. It takes money, hard work and time to turn so called 'agricultural' land in Orchidland into a productive farming venture. Don't even get me started on how hard it is to start up a retail business in Puna with all the red tape involved.

For the rest of you, Social Assistance is there to help people in need and not everyone that uses it is making it a life style. Julie sounds like a person who is more than willing to work and if the works just not there, should not be berated for using a social safety net in the manner in which it was intended to be used. I'm sure she's payed into it her whole working life until this point.
Me ka ha`aha`a,
Mike
why go thru all the effort if one can get free money ....cant blame the recipient - its human nature and the system. Studies prove once some one is out of the job market for 2 years - they rarely get back in.... socialization?

There is job for every one - look at the infrastructure around us.... some of the small nordic countries use the opportunity to staff the schools (menial jobs) to support educators

Con Agra is not the best source for policy on the poor or food distribution. imho

Don't forget rooster "farms" (NOW it'll get ugly. You haven't seen ugly until you say something bad about them around here.)

comin' your way soon!
comin' your way soon!
It seems somewhat irresponsible of a single parent with dependent children to relocate to a poor economy with few job prospects, especially if the backup plan is to simply "file for public benefits". (Punchline: can also afford a second piece of real estate, and also has plenty of time to complain about the situation.)

What do students, retirees, and tourists all have in common? They bring their own money. Yes, there are a lucky few who manage to find their way with just a hope and a prayer, but they are just that: lucky and few.

The farmland (or lack thereof) is a red herring at this point. (A real "working" farm has no "commute" overhead because the farmer can't afford the drive time -- besides which, the farm loses its delicious tax posture if you don't live thereon.)

Sigh.
Have you been in contact with the Ag. extension?

CTAHR is a wonderful resource & their mission is to help place agricultural lands into productive and sustainable condition.

Their office in Hilo is close by

ADD: As for commuting, I do know of many farms here that operate over many fields, miles apart, all of them productive. Farmers everywhere are used to traveling to fields to work them.

Some own all of their fields some lease all, most do a combination of lease & own.

This is an area that the extension office can assist with.
If I was there Carey I would be there shortly to pick up the avocado wood. I am curious about its properties.

The world of work.. smiles.. here. I always enjoyed working in different places. There is something about it that for myself causes me to put my best foot forward.
There are a good million and one ways to get on the wrong side of a situation.

One of the big clues that something has gone wrong is when I realize hmmm I am in a ditch on the farthest side of the job and the shovels that were everywhere are all gone. The boss says have box dug in by noon. Hmmm. Lots of variations on the theme.

We all kind of know when we are getting the big weenie. The question is what to do about it? Cry about to everyone? Quit? Cry about it to everyone and then quit? Keep hanging in there? Eventually the reality controls the situation anyway. It seems pretty obvious to me that Julie is probably being given the boot in a way that avoids all the nastiness. As a person starting over in a new place this is an opportunity to make new friends on a new job. The present employer method can be used to get a good referral. Just a thought.
I have 3 jobs here, and I had zero jobs in Austin. Having a current job is not what I am writing about. Thanks for all the advice. I know some of it is well meaning. I am using the time at home to continue to improve my house- since it's a "major fixxer".
quote:
I have 3 jobs here ... am using the time at home to continue to improve my house

So you're basically complaining about being employed and having a home, then?
No one has yet brought up the fact that seniors who apply for jobs here face the same age discrimination they do everywhere else. Employers seem to prefer rolling the dice on inexperienced younger people than hiring older folks with a proven track record of employment -- even for jobs that are clearly not career-track oriented.