Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
When, not If lava crosses 130...
http://hvo.wr.usgs.gov/multimedia/upload...le-605.jpg

This photo from a couple days ago is very interesting. The flow isn't moving forward much but it is fanning out, both north and south. The main flow is going down slope on top of the ridge, then there is a branch down slope to the south, and the more active branch going down slope to the north. If the flow continues, this will keep going faster down the north slope of the east rift ridge, towards Ainaloa, then across Hwy 130. What was the time span on the USGS simulation?

The irony is this is Wao Kele O Puna, that used to be privately owned by the Campbell estate that did the first geothermal exploration wells there. The fear was that geothermal wells would destroy the environment. That turned into Green Peace and Sierra Club fighting for the state to turn Wao Kele O Puna into a state reserve, eventually being turned over to OHA, through a land swap with the Campbell estate. The bigger irony is that both locations that were proposed for what would be PGV have been covered with lava. Wao Kele O Puna is supposed to be the last wet land forest in Hawaii. Hate to break it to people but Pele really doesn't give a crap about the aina, except for making more of it.

"This island Hawaii on this island Earth"
*Japanese tourist on bus through Pahoa, "Is this still America?*
I find myself more and more suffering from apocalypse fatigue since duck and cover in grade school been listening to people hype that the world's going to end. And after 30 years of emergency service and Planing I have come up with the following

Don't take drugs made be someone that didn't graduate high school
avoid junk food
were your seat belt
get a smoke detector and change the battery every 6 months
learn CPR
You can never have to much T. P.
lol Seeb, I know what you mean. I love the term apocalypse fatigue. [Smile]
dont drive your car on empty unless you love hiking!
I'm thinking that horses and oxen might become popular for transportation and hauling within lower Puna if we ever do get cut off. Oxen are pretty amazing draft animals, you just have to start training them when they are only a few months old, but they will live for years.

Carol
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
Yes, and if you read the older travel narratives, horses, mules (donÔt forget the mules!) and bullocks were the mode of transport other than boats if you go back a century or so.

Interesting account, in the chapter "how the people travel about":
http://books.google.com/books?id=sfrWbrOUt2gC&lpg=PA59&ots=uMxKuPTqvw&dq=hawaii%20island%20mule%20journey&pg=PA57#v=onepage&q=hawaii%20island%20mule%20journey&f=false
Little Journeys to Hawaii and the Philippine Islands, Marion Minnie George, 1901.

She says that Honolulu had mule-drawn trams, and most everyone owned at least one horse to get around the island.
The picture of the USGS map projection brings to mind what the shuttle commander said right after the words, "Roger, Houston -- go with throttle up.": "Uh-oh".
Well... That's certainly not a good thing. Now it's time to direct hope towards an end to the eruption.
If the flow got well established on the paths shown in that map the Kalapana flow would cool off and lower Puna would become the "End of the Road" accessible through the park. A basic 2 lane road through the park would go back in and lower Puna would become a large kipuka. For some people, including eco-tourists, that could be a huge draw, but commuting to Hilo would be out of the question unless you had a boat.

I wonder if the ocean lava tour people would want to run a shuttle from Pohoiki? I could see riding a horse to the boat ramp, boating to Hilo, then get the horse out of the commuter corral to ride home at the end of the day.

Carol
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
A good fantasy ... A lot of times the seas are so bad that they have to cancel the lava boat rides. I could just imagine calling in and telling your boss well, the seas are too rough ... can't make it in today! Smile uh huh!

Unrealistic for most puna folks. 90% of them would have to move.

Anyone considering buying a lot close to 11? If one wanted to live in Puna still that will be pretty much your only option especially if it runs down half way into HPP. The only thing for certain will be a lot of people with no homes. The value in lots close to 11 will sky rocket. from Parts of orchid land all the way up to volcano and of course the other side of 11 as well. Those 5K dollar aloha estate lots will seem like a giveaway price.

That is if it really does happen in the next 1-5 years.