Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone with Verizon wireless/broadband issues?
For the last couple of evenings, I've had several problems with Verizon broadband (specifically, its 4G broadband network). It's incredibly slow and often just drops out. I haven't used the network to make any cell calls, so don't know if the problem includes that service.

Before calling them, I just wondered if anyone using Verizon is having similar problems so I can rule out a more local issue.

I'm in lower HPP. Thanks.
PS. Apologies for the double post, Verizon dropped out as I was sending the other post with the same subject and it didn't look as though it got posted. Rob - please feel to delete that other post/thread - http://www.punaweb.org/Forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=22888
OK, I deleted my post and the other thread disappeared. No action needed!

Tom
1. Cell carriers prioritize voice over data; if there is need for more voice capacity, data conenctions will be dropped. This often happens to me during commute times.

2. Cell towers which provide data need lots of uplink bandwidth, eg, fiber, which isn't always available; this limitation exacerbates problem #1 above.

Unfortunately there's no way to know for sure.
When you say drops out, do you mean signal or just data?

If signal, call verizon's engineering department, perhaps a sector on their tower is having issues.

If data, try speedtest.net. If download is slower than upload, it's congestion for sure. Call and complain, get a bill credit and a promise to increase backhaul or split sectors, etc. (good luck)
Try putting the phone into airplane mode and then back into regular mode again.
Thanks for your responses, everything seems to be working fine this evening.

This was data, not the connection which remained up all the time, and I was using a Verizon mobile hotspot device, so switching to airplane mode wasn't an option although I reset the thing several times. I would have done a speed test but it was hard enough to post something here, let alone get the test done!
It could have been that the nearest tower was temporarily down and the weaker signal from a further tower tanked your speeds.
This happens to me constantly with my VZ jetpack mobile hotspot.
When I did a little research I found out that it could be in need of an update and that the update can't be done with a Mac. So I may go into the Apple store and see if they can help.
Seems like it happens more during peak times. and If Im not streaming anything. Like just reading text on a website. Seems like the connection holds if you are burning up a lot of data but if not it drops out.
One Thing I can always be sure of is that things will never go as expected.