Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shipping thoughts
I have a couple questions about shipping that I am hoping you BIslanders can discuss.
First: If you ship your car to Hawaii, can you cram it full of your belongings to avoid having to ship them separately?
Second:
Has anyone shipped a trailer (such as an Airstream) over from the mainland, or is that dumb? I am wondering if it would be cost-prohibitive (because of size and weight), and also if the climate would destroy a metal home (trailer) so quickly that it would be pointless.
I've been looking around at houses for sale here, and am starting to think I might rather buy a piece of land and then (legally) install a nice refurbished Airstream on it, than pay for a falling-apart existing house.

Thank you for your wisdom.

Me ka `oia`i`o,
A Newbie
the shipping companys are very strict on their rule of no personal items allowed in the vehicles. when i shipped my car i had to argue with the guy that the car jack that came with the car was not a personal item.

some people live in a motorhome or trailer while building but be warned that press board that the interior is made of turns to mush very fast in this climate
If you do somehow manage to get a trailer over here, you will need to park it in the shade, or construct a tarp canopy over it to create some shade. Gets pretty hot inside otherwise.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
If you call the shipping companies and get a quote for that travel trailer, let us know what they said.

I've thought about it. When that lava makes it over the highway, it would be an easy thing to hitch up the trailer and just pull it out of harm's way.

I know that some people have jacked up small houses and moved them to higher ground when lava flows too close.
When we moved (almost 9 years ago...so hopefully ancient history) ANY trailer was $$$
We had a tiny 4x8 very light weight covered poly trailer - the quote was over $4k - kicker was that it, too had to be empty of any but manufactured equipment... at that time a 20' container was similar cost...but they still said the trailer was to be empty (not sure HOW they would know...)

We left the trailer, as it was no where close to that cost new & the cool thing would have been to fill it & ship it... did ship our 3yr old car - empty (though Pasha did allow full cars right after our shipment, but only for a month or so...)

Oh, the idea is not higher ground for lava, just somewhere it is not gonna go....at least not in the immediate time...
PASHA - Hawaii is a four day run to Hilo direct.Hilo 1st port of call.
All is enclosed from the elements .
Matson ships via honolulu and then space available to Hilo 3 to 6 weeks or longer .
Matson will put your ride in a container exposed to elements.
PASHA is all enclosed with articulating decks .
They are currently constructing a sister ship that is green technology in Mississippi.
Airstream is UGLY.
Not a good fit for a rainy climate.
People do ship them but cost is a HUGE factor and they degrade rapidly.If you enjoy mold and rot,then go ahead.But your health will suffer.
You can rent one here at Harper car n truck rentals down by the dock in hilo.
Save your money and buy a good camper van instead.Smaller and more versatile.
One exception for shipping goods in a vehicle - you can ship trade tools inside of your vehicle. Found that little gem while scouring the Matson manual for any loophole to get my plumbing tools and screen printing shop here. Loaded it all into a Dodge Maxi-van and away it went to Oahu for the vehicle price. I also shipped a small 4x4x8 trailer loaded with household items for about $800.
Shipping companies usually insist that your car be empty. In rough seas, loose items might get tossed around and damage your vehicle, or get in the way of safely driving your car on/off the ship. Or your car might be lost overboard with whatever was in it. Or one of the people who drives your car on or off the ship might help themselves to your possessions. I think the shipping companies are trying to keep their liability to a minimum; a lost car has a definite value, but it's hard to assign a price to a bunch of stuff that was lost with or from the car.

I used to work in the longshore industry. When I shipped my car, I happily took out everything that was loose.

><(((*> ~~~~ ><(("> ~~~~ ><'> ~~~~ >(>
I put a stained glass picture made by a friend of mine- under the back seat of my van- and it arrived intact and undiscovered. Not something I would recommend, but it did turn out "ok". (I just couldn't figure out any other way to get it over here- without it breaking)