Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Recharging a vehicle's A/C
All,

Anyone know a place I can take my car and get the coolant on the A/C recharged without being told I have to get it inspected for a leak first and everything else that requires a big follow-up only to be told that'll be $1500 dollar job?

I guess I could just do this myself, but my vehicle is notorious for being difficult to recharge the A/C coolant (it's a 2002 Ford Focus) and I know it will get several months on a full charge. It's due a service and will try and convince Orchid Isle just to charge the thing but suspect they'll tell me they can't do that without all sorts of further work. I will tell them they owe me a favour, though, so why not just do it to keep a customer of their's happy?!

But, if anyone knows a place that'll recharge the A/C coolant on an old Focus, that'd really help me out. I'm planning on running the thing into the ground in the next year or two and spending an enormous amount on fixing the leak in the A/C isn't attractive.

Thank you!
Thanks, Mimosa, will try Danny, and thanks for all your other points. For me, doing the Keaau crawl (both ways these days) does need some A/C from time to time. Not all of us are born the same and I work best when it's cold.

The other problem is that with the coolant running low the ECU on my car gets confused. The A/C cycles continuously and the ECU can't cope and occasionally will stall the engine. Since this is a stick shift the continuous changes in revs is a big deal when doing 2mph as many of us do each day near Keaau.

Will try your son in law's place. Thanks!
Manuals

I like these guys too - the used to be just for repair shops - few years back they started catering to individuals

https://www.alldatadiy.com/
OK, thanks, but was hoping to get a recommendation for a shop I could use. I have an injury that makes it difficult to recharge the Focus A/C myself although not completely impossible. The valve is in an awkward place. Thanks for understanding.
http://www.amazon.com/Interdynamics-MAC-...ewpoints=1

Get something like above, ask a friend or a service tech to help you. It takes about 10 minutes.

Edit: heck, I'd even help you out if needed.
I'm sure Joe can do it at Joe's Auto Repair in HPP. He is absolutely great! He has a shop on 10th in HPP. 966-4683
Thanks ericlp and okedokey. The focus has an unusual place for the A/C coolant valve (in the front right wheel well) which is why it'd be tough for me right now (back and knee issues), but thanks for the offer of help ericlp! Okedokey, was thinking of calling Joe but have never actually taken my car there before so wasn't really sure what he deals with or how busy he might be, but think I'll try that.

Thanks, everyone, I'm sure I have enough options now.
TomK

If you bring the car to my place,I would do it for you.
You would need to pick up a couple of cans of R-134a.
I have a service hose that threads on to the top of the can.
Obie - very tempting! Let me know where you are in an email if that's OK with you. 12-pack or whatever you need for payment can be arranged. I'll buy the cans of course (both sorts!).
If you can find someone with the tool to install it there is a leak sealer that can be added that often helps slow the leak. I've used it several times with a good success rate.

Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.