Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
best beach for sunrise
Which beach is best for sunrise viewing? Kids got some great sunset pix Kona side. now want to get same for sunrise. I'm thinking Pohoiki,
but Don't know for sure.

dick wilson
"Nothing is idiot proof,because idiots are so ingenious!"
dick wilson
"Nothing is idiot proof,because idiots are so ingenious!"
Pohoiki would work good, but I like Cape Kumukahi, the eastern most spot in the state (past lighthouse tower)

...a real beach, it would be Kehena and swimming w/ dolphins in the morning

save our indigenous and endemic Hawaiian Plants... learn about them, grow them, and plant them on your property, ....instead of all that invasive non-native garbage I see in most yards... aloha
save our indigenous and endemic Hawaiian Plants... learn about them, grow them, and plant them on your property, ....instead of all that invasive non-native garbage I see in most yards... aloha
I prefer the Hilo sunsets. Lots of multicolored and changing skies as opposed to a fireball that's too bright to look at. Did see the "green flash" once in Kona though.
One of my fav spots is out off of Maku`u, sitting on what I like to call the contemplation stone... overlooking the waves...
Good one Carey. I forgot to add that the park on Beach Rd between Paradise and Maku`u is a great place for both sunrise and sunset.
I really like ORe's beach in Wa'wa, Also a great place to fish for Ulua off the cliffs a few hours before dawn and sunrise. Shipman is really nice if your out early enough to catch the sunrise and get back before the heat.
Honolii in Hilo.
Dick,

I've looked at several places for sunrise pictures on the east side but options are a bit limited, especially if you are thinking beaches only. However, anywhere between Pohoiki and Kalapana along the Red Road look like good opportunities to me but whenever I've tried the weather has been uncooperative. During the summer months, Lapahoehoe Point might be a good spot as the sun rises just north enough to be visible and light up the cliffs to the south-east. Waipio is another option during the summer but a bit of a trek. Pololu Valley is definitely a good spot, and even if you don't want to do the hike to the beach, the sunrise photos from the lookout or nearby can be awesome.

I also have wanted to try Punaluu County Beach Park but haven't done it yet - I'm not a morning person! However, Carey's suggestion of the end of Maku'u is definitely one worth trying. I've taken photos there in the evening but haven't tried sunrise yet, but think it'd be a great spot.

And Chas is also right, even though we're on the wrong side of the island, sunset shots can look incredible. I've been meaning to take a picture of red clouds above a silhouetted Mauna Kea from Richardson's for a long time now...
Coconut Island! You won't get the sun and you will want to be looking in the opposite direction but there are some amazing views as the sun starts illuminating Mauna Kea. Truly amazing.

Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
time it right and you can get the sun rising above the volcano at the park - not quite beach - but does make for an impressive photo