Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Alternate makai access road?
Rob,
People did not buy or build as far as they are from city services in HPP to live on a mainland style small lot with a high speed commuter route in their backyard. Those people would have all the inconveniences of an urban environment, and none of the advantages. When half of a 1 acre lot is taken, in many cases that puts the roadway very close to, or right through, the house, this is one of the drawbacks to retrofitting a roadway like this into existing neighborhoods. If you have ever been in a community where roads, bypasses, or freeway bridges are plopped into neighborhoods, the houses closest to those additions usually become mini slums with cheap rentals, because no one who can afford not to wants to live with that.

I know we need better connectivity and emergency evacuation routes for Puna, but we also need to be sensitive to the people who will be negatively impacted by those changes. The track records of HDOT and Hawaii county planning division do not inspire a lot of confidence in how they would handle this project. Calling people names like NIMBYs for being concerned about how this project would proceed is not really fair.

Carol
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
Mr. Walter is indeed a nice guy. But there must come a time when Shipman's desires, which are, after all, profit-driven, can no longer thwart the real life needs of 40,000 residents. I hope it's soon.
it's odd.. to me.. that everyone speaks of highway fronting lots as being a negative.. and I would be the last one to live near a highway.. but I have several friends that consider it desirable. I have one that over the years has bought more than one lot on highway 130.. and paid a premium for them to boot. so those that don't like it will surely find their way elsewhere... sheesh they'll prob make a few bucks on the deal too. otherwise that one point will hold tens of thousands of people hostage with untenable gridlock on our roads forever. god I wish we had political leaders with even just a small amount of a spine! it's amazing this is even a discussion at this point! ie we pay the taxes and then what?
quote:
Originally posted by csgray

I know we need better connectivity and emergency evacuation routes for Puna, but..

hey carol! that 'but' expired decades ago.. it was a good thing while it lasted but enough already!
dakine -
I live on one of the possible connector roads, and I can tell you:
1) It is 100% negative for me. The only positive for people living on a highway is a fast commute which I don't need. Otherwise I would trade car exhaust for fresh tradewinds, car noise for the sound of the breeze in the trees, and more danger in entering and exiting the driveway. As insurance companies base their rates on where you live, most likely a highway in my front yard will raise my auto insurances rates and homeowners liability. Don't laugh, I once mentioned I had an 8 pound indoor dog to my homeowners insurance agent and she raised my rates $50 a year. Because it might bite. I told them it would be difficult for such a small dog to even open it's mouth that wide. Still, $50.
2) The property value would go down, there is no chance I would "make a premium." I now have a decent view, a highway would take that away and lower the value. Residential real estate is advertised as having a view. Commercial real estate listings point out accessibility and highways.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
aloha hereontheprimaledge. man I hear you.. and feel for you.. and can only say if some big road comes your side I sure hope you find a way to turn that water into wine. though for real all the heart breaking stories up and down any possible route do not negate the need.. and responsibility to provide.. a reasonable infrastructure. ain't it a shame our gov never considered their responsibilities when they allowed the creation of all these house sized lots in the first place? but they didn't and the ball has been dropped a gazillion times and what? so please tell me when does all the not here not me stuff get set aside.. when does enough gridlock and the associated damage THAT does to all our lives become equal to or greater than 'all the heart breaking stories' up and down that road of yours?
People did not buy or build as far as they are from city services in HPP to live on a mainland style small lot with a high speed commuter route in their backyard.

...and here we are right back at the beginning.

Maybe a "high-speed commuter route" would be less relevant if everything weren't in Hilo? HPP doesn't even have a local corner store unless you count driving across the highway to Orchidland General.
Has anyone approached the Shipman's regarding the idea? They might welcome some sort of trade off with a route crossing their parcels west of the homes in trade for the old beach road section crossing west of the houses? I know they have several subdivided lots along the water that have yet to be sold but waiting in the wings for future development. They'll need such a road to service those parcels. As they say... it's all about give and take. Now isn't the best time for developing such lots but who knows.
I don't have property at the north end cul de sacs in Hawaiian Paradise but if they gave you a 100 foot buffer with road extensions to a new road connecting Shower and Railroad would probably empty out the area pretty quick. Or tie Beach curving the shore for his lots to the existing Shipman farm road with a modified curve at the house/beach road? Hawaiian Beaches and Shores would use Gov't to HPP and get in line...

Are you a human being, or a human doing?
If lava cut off 130 between hpp/pahoa...

I wonder how fast a road would be plowed and paved to go cut through the forest to link up HPP to Hawaiian beaches/shores subdivision?

My guess would be they would use railroad ave. Either that or plow and pave a 2 / 4 lane on beach road. Hmm, that would be a lot of traffic coming down Kahakai Blvd. Maybe after, they would consider punching a road through shipman.

Why is that orchidland has a small retail spot and HPP has none? I find it odd that everyone has to drive to pahoa or keaau to go shopping, or worse, Hilo.

I say for 200Million one could put in high speed rail from kalapana out to hilo stop at target / mall / UH / hilo shopping center and down to old town. Would be nice view of the ocean along the way.