Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Crew Needed for Documentation of Wrecked WII Plane
Aloha Everyone,

My name is Dave, and I am the Managing Member of Laupahoehoe Nui LLC, which owns the land upon which this bomber sits.

I hate to rain on this parade, but “being acquainted with one of the owners of ‘Nui’ [who] obtained permission for us” is not sufficient to gain access to our properties. While we do on occasion grant access for specific purposes, it is always with an access plan, and only after each and every member of the party has signed a waiver of liability.

The plane is in extremely rugged territory, and in a precipitous gulch, further hampering access. In order to access our property, you must also cross other private land and obtain permission from those landowners. Access from Waimanu is difficult at the best of times – there are few if any trails, and what appear to be easy stream crossings on the topo are in fact gulches so steep they are impossible to cross.

Lastly, if you are actively building trails on state land from Waimanu to the Laupahoehoe 1 ahupua’a, this is across state land, and likely violates state law. I would encourage you to refrain from doing this, as that land is extremely environmentally sensitive, and you might find yourself hacking away at some unknown and endangered Hawaiian gardenia, without ever knowing.

Mahalo.

-Dave
-Dave
Thank you Dave. I'm always happy to be told I'm wrong. That being said, may I have the list of property owners that you know of, and I will contact them my self. Also, can I have the name of the person I'd need to meet up with to obtain that waiver and a copy for those who may join? Having this out I the way, and establishing who -if anyone- I'm going in with, I can than present a detailed access plan. And the trail I refer to is in fact a pigs trail traveling up the rear ridge. Nothing has been cut, that would be to much energy. It's simply been folded back.

"It's not about the destination, it's about the journey."
I would be disheartened to hear this trip isn't possibly due too "Toe stepping." As the plane (correct me if I'm wrong.) is more than ten miles from anyone's home. And having been raised on the island, I have seen too many good people in trouble because some person (or corporate entity) said they can't be in that particular patch of nature. I understand the need for detailed plans, and waiver forms, etc. but the idea of trespassing through state owned "nature" being a genuine issue, just blows my mind. Is it not this same mentality that led to our beloved islands overthrow? How is it that someone can own all the property around a beach, -yet not the beach.- (or in this case a Wrecked WII bomber.) and charge or refuse people access? The very government that overthrew us would suggest it unconstitutional to refuse people's god given right to experience nature in its fullest. That being said, ease don't penalize me for question your system by refusing me and my parties access. I do promise to be very respectful and on my overall best behavior.

Birchrus,

It is sad that this world we have created requires waivers and restrictions, but understand that it is actions of the litigious few that impact the conscientious many.

WRT your trail building on public lands, these are lands owned by all of us, and (hopefully) cared for by the government that we elect to represent us. By building a trail on this public land, you alone are making a decision for all of us that this is where a trail needs to be, and whether there should be a trail at all. Having said that, I’m glad to understand that your trail ‘cutting,’ as you state in previous posts, is not actually that. You will not get any argument from me that these state lands are open to all.

Mahalo.

-Dave
-Dave
This is a really dumb idea. Dave is trying to save you from your own stupidity. You talk about spending between 10 and 14 days on the trail. If you miscalculate by a day how much food you are going to carry, you will be dead. I recommend getting a permit from DLNR and staying for 3-4 days at an established campsite at Waimanu. You won't regret it.
I would suggest working on a helicopter drop with maybe an overnite stay to document the plane, providing you get all the permissions.
That good to hear. Who? I'll make sure I ask them for permision as we'll..

To petard. This isn't my first attempt at this trip, as you'd know if you read the previous posts. In fact, this is attempt number 3, and my fith time into the valley. I'll also admit to disregarding the DLNR on these previous trips, as my time. -20 twenty days on my last attempt.- was mostly spent in the back of the valley scoping trails. Between the two of us we had about fifty pounds of food. We cashed various things along the valley wall in multiple places so we knew if we'd gone through what we had, we'd have more on the way out. -and im likly to bring in more on the next attempt.- I would like to repeat that the trail I claimed my buddy an I made, is intact somewhat of a lie. It's a pig trail that my friend and I folded the shrubs back on. And I'd be lying if I said some damage wasn't being done by the act of trampling with large packs. Again, this is not my first attempt, I have been at this for the last couple years, and I. determined to make it in. If you think it's impossible, I appreciate your view, but your wrong. And if all you have to say are remarks that question my sanity, I request you keep those to your self. I'm aware this is not an easy trip. That is why I'm doing this. I have the gear, (and knowledge) to accomplish this jurney with ease. All I need is a partner and good fellow petard its not you.

1) The route you are planning to take is, quite frankly, completely insane. Going up the middle ridge of Waimanu might be possible (though actually doing seems like it would require major trail clearance), but once there you'll be in a wilderness of bogs and rough terrain where there's no way you'll make anything close to 1mi/1.5 hours as in your plan. And from there you'll be no closer than if you'd just gone the easy route from the top.

2) Regardless of which way you go, Laupahoehoe Iki, the section between Waimanu and Laupahoehoe Nui, is not only public land but part of a Natural Area Reserve. As ypodave said, "public land" does not mean "for any individual to do whatever they want on". This is a unique area with a lot of fragile ecosystems such as bogs and extremely rare plants.

Also, FWIW, even before the 2006 earthquake the Kohala Ditch Trail has not existed between Honopue Valley and Waimanu since at least the 1970s. It was unused and became completely overgrown. Last I heard of anyone doing the full traverse from Pololu was 1977 and they had a rough time of it, taking two days to cover the three miles between Honopue and Waimanu.
Clearly because others haven't done this or can't you would be insane to try. You need to go back inside your square and turn your tv on before you really hurt yourself or worse startle someone else with your fiendish new ideas.