Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I Want Meat after Nine
Okay, let's say I --or someone-- is lusting for protein and it's gotta be beef, as in steak. It just occurred to me that steaks are kinda rare (ha-ha) on the Big Island, and in Hilo in particular.

In fact, it just occurred to me that Hilo doesn't have very many restaurants and is kind of a small town. And even on a Saturday if you go racing around you won't find many, or any, quality restaurants open.

I kinda glossed over the whole "small town" thing before I came over. Don't gloss over that part. This town is really small.

Anyway, where is the best steak on the island? I am pretty sure it is at Ruth's Chris Steak House at the Mauna Lani. But they serve USDA midwestern beef. Isn't there someplace that serves really good local grass fed beef --not in a hamburger-- but in the form of one of those juicy steaks.

And am I missing it, or are there any restaurants open in Hilo after nine, other then Pineapples (open air!; mediocre menu) and Pesto (nice food; acoustical nightmare) and Ken's (pancakes for dinner, again?). I don't consider Ruben's a restaurant. I haven't figured out exactly what it is yet, but it isn't a restaurant. A movie set? A wormhole to a louder, extremely salty alternate universe? Alien landing pad? Just a plain old pad of some kind? I mean, what IS it?

Anyway, best steak on the island? Anything in Hilo after nine? Not knowing is harshing my island buzz.

And, for those who know me --yes, it is true. I've lapsed and am no longer vegan. My first difficulty was in pronouncing it. VEJ-un because I eat VEJ-atables? No, that's too easy. Apparently it is VE-gun, like Bass Weejuns.

I admire vegans. I also would admire Venusians if they landed on the landing pad. That would be really cool. And I am sure they would be really hot. They would have to be made out of titanium or something because it is really hot on Venus. They might be TOO hot. That could happen I guess. They might want to bathe in Pu'u O'o. THEN we'd see some helicopters.

I'll worry about Venusians some other time. Anyway, best steak (preferably local) on the island? Best places in Hilo after nine?
Had dinner recently at the Mauna Kea Beach Hotel, Manta restaurant. The grilled rib eye was the best I tasted so far.
I am no wordsmith but trust me when I tell you noodles and sake next to the tavern in the old subway.
I thought it was pronounced VAY-gun. Just sayin'
If you look up "tourist trap" in the dictionary, there's a picture of Rubens.

We tried to have dinner at Cafe Pesto in Kawaiihai about 7 pm one night, but they had an hour wait, so we went to Waimea.
The posted hours of several restaurants in Waimea said they were open until 9, but they were all dark or closing.
So we headed toward home; the first open restaurant we found was Verna's in Hilo. By then, it was nearly 10 pm. Lucky we like Vernas. But I don't think they have steaks. At least, well, you know.

><(((*> ~~~~ ><(("> ~~~~ ><'> ~~~~ >(>
Kuhio Grill in Hilo has some really good steaks, local too, and they are open till 10 and Friday till 11. I love the 1 lb T-Bone and get mine with a side of Fried Rice and Shrimp Tempura.
Also the Hilo Burger joint, serves a platter with a waygu steak from Kahuku, I have never tried it, but I always see it on the menu. Everything else is burgers, but you can call and see if it is a steak or not. They are open till 11.

But when all else fails, and it's now 12:22 am, those grass fed steaks I pick-up from KTA, are now ready for salt and pepper, and my nice hot grill in the yard for an early morning naughty treat.
This talk of steaks is making me hungry at work, the graveyard shift. The tuna sandwich I have ain't doing it.
As far as a steakhouse using island ranch beef goes, I would say the Hualalai Grille.
http://www.hualalairesort.com/index.cfm/...PageID/536
For a prime rib eye or a Kona coffee rubbed prime NY steak at probably the finest restaurant, try Ulu Ocean Grille. Same property, better ambience, but not a steakhouse like the HG.

In Hilo .. I have no suggestion for fine steak, lol.

If you want a gourmet burger instead of steak, try Village Burger in Waimea or Annie's in South Kona or maybe go to Hilo Burger Joint ... in Hilo -- which is open until 11 PM so fits parts of your request-- red meat after 9 PM.
Anyone ever eat steak at Kaleo's? I haven't, but heard they're pretty good.
Tim

A superior man is modest in his speech, but exceeds in his actions--Confucius
I've had steak at Kaleo's and at Cafe Pesto, and they were both fine, but nothing particularly great. I did have a really good steak at the Broiler in Waimea, but looking online today I see it may be closed (not sure if for renovations, or permanently).
Leilani Estates, 2011 to Present
Hmmm, If I'm gonna eat a steak I normally buy my own. But, I suppose if was 2AM and a friend of mine needed a steak. Kens is open 24 hours, never ordered or tried the steak from them. I suppose it wouldn't be that bad. Maybe the 3AM steak would be pretty good with a side of order of coconut shrimp?

-------------------------
To email me click on Link http://is.gd/QMfVEX